Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1986 C10 "Sandy Rose"

I thought it was due time to get this posted up. We picked up this 86 C10 about a year ago, sat on it a while, trying to determine which path to take with it, and finally decided to do a fun little shop truck project with it. It was crowned the name "Sandy Rose" due to the fading brown paint, and the name has since stuck even with the new colors. The truck came to us from down south and in near perfect body condition. Being from the midwest you never get to see this kind of rust free body on these trucks. We don't know any of the history, but it appeared that at some point the hood was replaced, other than that it was all original sheet metal.

Name:  1stpic.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  179.4 KB

This was when we first brought her home. We had no idea how long it had been since it was running so we spent some time putting in a new gas tank, fuel lines, brakes, carb, etc..... The tired old 305 fired up and sorta ran..... it didn't take long after that for us to decide that the LS3 was going to be a much better choice.

Out with the old!
      Name:  pivot.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  214.4 KB

The new LS3
      Name:  ls3.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  344.4 KB

Before we got around to the engine swap we went ahead and installed the new ridetech Street Grip suspension to correct the previously unfinished lowering kit that was going on.
      Name:  streetgrip1.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  264.3 KB

Name:  streetgrip2.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  230.7 KB

We did a terrible job of documenting the install so I don't have any pictures to share of theses parts going in, but the ridetech kit is top notch. Everything fit perfectly and it was a simple install. Since this truck is going to mainly be a driver we didn't go all out with new tubular arms and a 4 link.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

1986 C10 "Sandy Rose"

Originally we didn't plan to do a whole lot with this truck, but as many of you know, these projects have a way of getting way deeper than you want them to. When we were doing the engine swap we started off with the typical "clean up the engine bay and paint it black" plan, that morphed into "lets repaint the entire truck" plan.
      Name:  enginebay.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  268.5 KB

And like I said earlier we didn't do a very good job of documenting the journey since we weren't planning this much, but here's where she is now with the new colors.
      Name:  sandyside.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  227.1 KB

Name:  sandyside2.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  172.1 KB

Sandy rose

As many of you already know, anytime something sits out in a field for a long time the parts start going down hill pretty quick. Such was the case with the original AC system. It had the main evaporator lines disconnected from the compressor so by the time we cleaned all the original stuff up we figured that it would be less money to just replace it all with the Vintage Air kit they make for these C10's. We knew we were going to use the front runner kit anyway so we went ahead and added on the rest of the climate control parts to finish it out. I'll have to get more pics of the inside part of the install once the truck is back off the lift. If you've never installed one of these Vintage Air kits they are one of the most well thought out systems I've worked with. Everything went together exactly as planned. We couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Name:  VINTAGEPARTS2.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  VINTAGEINSTALLED.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  300.9 KB

Name:  ENGINEIN.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  271.0 KB

For the engine conversion kit we went with the Holley LS swap package. So far all of those components have fit just as well as we were expecting them to.

LOVE IT!!! sometimes its hard to take pics when your gettin stuff done.

Cool truck!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks guys!

The plan and purpose of this truck is to use it as a test bed for various transmissions (automatic and Manual) We want to have a vehicle that is easy to work on and doesn't require extensive modification to the structure to accomodate different sizes and types of transmissions. As good as our dyno is, there's nothing that can really replace "real world" use and feel. That being said. If anyone knows where we can get a clutch/brake pedal assembly for an 85-87 that had factory hydraulics let me know!

We're making some more progress and hoping to have the engine fired up maybe yet this week! While we've been waiting on some odd and end parts to show up we've been doing some other detail work. We finished plumbing the power steering system in. As you can see there wasn't much room to spare, but no frame mods to get it to work.
      Name:  steering1.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  257.4 KB
      Name:  steering2.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  251.7 KB
      Name:  steering3.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  242.9 KB

We also got a surprise from the brown truck today. Our new Classic Instruments gauge set showed up. This is going to be a huge improvement over the stock set up.
      Name:  gauges2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  322.3 KB
      Name:  gauges1.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  172.3 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post

Name:  gauges1.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  172.3 KB
      Holy Flashback!!
      I remember putting those damn things together on the assembly line.
      The factory clusters, not yours.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      Holy Flashback!!
      I remember putting those damn things together on the assembly line.
      The factory clusters, not yours.

Ken
      Oh I bet! I wish I could remember how many of those factory clusters I've taken apart and reworked over the years to put together ones for the trucks I've had. Replacing yellowed lenses, adding different gauges, etc. It's so nice to have this option now. As much fun as it can be to scour the junkyards, sometimes I'd rather just pick up the phone and make it happen.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com