Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help finding a steering wheel

Trying to find a smaller wheel for my 69 Impala (same wheel on Novas and Camaros) but I must be missing something. I measure about 17.125" across the outside of the stock wheel which doesn't line up with published diameters.

I'd really like to find a wheel shaped like the one in my BMW, which measures about 16" outside diameter:
      Name:  m6steeringwheel.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  132.6 KB
      Should I be measuring inside diameter? Any help on who carries something like this would be great.

I'm not so sure the diameters of the B and F-body steering wheels were the same, despite looking similar. I've never measured, but if memory serves, the stock wheels seemed bigger in the bigger cars.

Anyway, almost all of the aftermarket steering wheel manufacturer's advertise the outside diameter of the wheel. I.e. a 14" steering wheel means 14" outside diameter.

There are very few offerings for modern looking steering wheels in outside diameters greater than 14". In my opinion, a 14" steering wheel looks/feels to small in full size car (and arguably even in A-bodies).

You can dig through the the Momo and Grant catalogs online, but I doubt you'll find anything with your desired look/size.

Country Flag: Canada
      Not cheap but about as nice as they come ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NARDI-ND-CL...kAAOSwintXScQm

nd-6061-39-2001_1 by Steve Heck, on Flickr
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Realized I get more results looking for 380mm steering wheels, apparently a common Euro size.

Billet Specialties 15.5" Steering Wheels

Billet Specialties Half-Wrap Steering Wheels
      15 Styles to choose from

Name:  30137.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  308.2 KB
      Name:  30725.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  804.2 KB
      Name:  30925.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  926.1 KB

Click here to see all styles and pricing

Don't know what size your comfortable with, but I'm using a MOMO D36 which is about 14-1/4" in diameter.

This wheel looks good and feels good in the Camaro, but they do make slightly larger wheels and some smaller ones as well. The droopy spokes give me a nice view of my gauges.

Like Stab6909 said... a 14" wheel might look a little out of place in an older Impala only because of the expanse of the interior. I'd search for a 15" wheel. What I did was make several cardboard circles with spoke cutouts in different sizes before I bought this one.-Mike
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Here's the one I got from flashpowerparts.com. Good quality and truly affordable. Got the wheel. Adapter and horn button for under $170Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1143
Size:  178.0 KB

I had a 15.5" Sport wheel in my 70 Elco but I never cared for the thin outer ring and large diameter.

Last week, I bought this 14"/360mm Momo Retro wheel. Really like the plush black leather ring w/white thread and brushed satin spokes.

Momo Retro 360mm with Vette crossed-flags

Another vote for that 360mm/14" Momo Retro.
      Combined with Grant 5652 crossed-flags (like on our Z/28 rocker arm cover) for the horn button and 12.7:1 ratio 35 lb/in valving from Lee's Power Steering, the car is so much more fun to drive.
      Those two adds (plus a Hotchkis suspension painted to look stock), Del-Alum bushings and some CCWs wrapped in R1Rs... compelled me to order Corbeau RRS seats for early morning weekend twisty drives.
      Enjoy.
      Name:  20180817_170737.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  115.5 KB

Looked but could not find.. does the momo retro only co e with white stitching or can you get other colors ? Also anyone have a good recommendation for a suede steering wheel ?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Quote Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
      Looked but could not find.. does the momo retro only co e with white stitching or can you get other colors ? Also anyone have a good recommendation for a suede steering wheel ?
      I like the Momo Nero.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Check out Max Papis new line of steering wheels. I think that is what Kyle is selling at Detroit Speed.
      https://www.maxpapisinc.com/product-...eering-wheels/

This is timely. The wheel I bought seems a little flimsy.

AWESOME!! Can you please tell me where you bought this steering wheel and SS center cap? I am not able to find it anywhere.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com