Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Wilwood 7/8" Master Problems

I just finished installing my Wilwood 7/8" master and can't get a pedal. This master was brand new, and I sent it back to Wilwood for the recall. I finally get around to installing it in my 63 Hemi Dart to replace the 15/16" that was in there. I've bled it twice, and there is definitely no air in it. I can pump it till the cows come home and still no pedal, I'm guessing it's no good. Anyone else having issues?

Did you bench bleed it?
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I would plug the ports and see if it builds pressure. That is the method I use to bench bleed.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

vaccuum bleed it from the reservior. After trying to bleed my buddies for 30 min and ZERO pedal i put a vaccuum pump on it, shoved a line into the reservoir and pumped away. After 5 min we had a solid pedal. see link below. Worked like a charm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhGAceCpx4

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Did you bench bleed it?
      Yes,

Well I just got off the phone with Wilwood, as it turns out the 7/8" master is too small for my setup, they recommend a 15/16" master ( what I took out ). Looks like I'll have a Master for sale....

7/8" is a little small for me, but it works/bleeds fine. Not sure that another 1/16" is going to resolve any bleeding problems..
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      vaccuum bleed it from the reservior. After trying to bleed my buddies for 30 min and ZERO pedal i put a vaccuum pump on it, shoved a line into the reservoir and pumped away. After 5 min we had a solid pedal. see link below. Worked like a charm

I've seen quite a bit when it comes to cars, but this one was new to me. I went ahead and tried this on what I thought was a well-bleed system. I am pretty certain the air wasn't induced by my process and I was able to pull a ton of air out of the master cylinder.

The pedal feels slightly better, I'll know for sure when I go drive it next, I'm excited to see if things got better. They were pretty good before.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      I've seen quite a bit when it comes to cars, but this one was new to me. I went ahead and tried this on what I thought was a well-bleed system. I am pretty certain the air wasn't induced by my process and I was able to pull a ton of air out of the master cylinder.

The pedal feels slightly better, I'll know for sure when I go drive it next, I'm excited to see if things got better. They were pretty good before.
      Interesting, I might have to try that...

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post

I just tried this with my mightyvac and I couldn't believe the amount of air bubbles that came out! I also just installed a 7/8" wilwood master on my '69 cutlass, but in the process of chasing down leaks, air got into the system. Bled it a few times the regular way but still had a spongy pedal. Came back from a test run and it brakes leaps and bounds better than before with less effort and nice firm pedal. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BondAR View Post
      I just tried this with my mightyvac and I couldn't believe the amount of air bubbles that came out! I also just installed a 7/8" wilwood master on my '69 cutlass, but in the process of chasing down leaks, air got into the system. Bled it a few times the regular way but still had a spongy pedal. Came back from a test run and it brakes leaps and bounds better than before with less effort and nice firm pedal. Thank you!!!
      I did notice that on my rear Wilwood port, if I pulled too hard of a vacuum, I'd suck past the m/c piston seal. I knew that because the dust boot that connects that seal area to the brake pushrod would collapse. So I believe I was pulling some of that air through the m/c while doing it. That said, it's probably best to pull a fairly light vacuum on the aft port of the m/c.

check pedal to piston -actuato-radjustment??

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com