Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      I'm with the guys that state that the weld-in, integrated to as much sheet metal as possible, exactly like the DSE connectors are the best way to go. I understand that the tubular units are usually easier to install, but they can't match the integrated structure of a fully welded to the body - it's not connected all of the way, so it can't be as "good." But again, subframe connectors themselves aren't the end-all, you really need a vertical triangulated structure to really tighten things up (i.e. the whole cage deal).

I hadn't seen the Hotchkis "Handlebars," but I suspect this was a product evolved from the work they did with David and Mary (you can look them up, two terrific folks). Damn fine idea in my opinion! The firewall is a strong structure and using it to reinforce the front suspension pickups is a great idea, will really tighten and triangulate the front frame area.

So using this, and some good subframe connectors, is a great idea for certain. But, you "still" have a cool three dimensional structure up front (better than stock, and exactly what Shelby did 50 years ago with the early Mustangs with the "Export Brace" and the cross bar, and those cars haul a$$), and a rigid rear stucture, but still separated with what is an improved, but still a ladder structure between the two ends. For certain it is going to be WAY better in bending, but only marginally better in torsion, which is the harder puzzle to solve.

A good roll bar with door bars - well executed - will help immensely. It doesn't have to be crazy, but you can make a FAR better structure, being almost as good to far better than a coupe without the additions, with some good thought.

Cheers!
      Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com