Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Is a power steering cooler necessary for my application

I have an 86 Mont Carlo SS, LS swapped with truck accessories, factory Saginaw steering box. I am running 245/45/17 Bridgestone RE-71rs. I have a small power steering cooler laying around, I'm wondering if it is worth the effort and weight to install. Any thoughts?

I didn't think I needed one, until I measured 275* fluid after a normal drive. Put a cooler on it.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Country Flag: Wales
      I work on a lot of different vehicles from mine vans to jags, Camaro's, mustangs they all have some kind of power steering cooler. some better than others. I would with out a doubt put some kind of cooler on. good luck.
      ''Courage is being scared to death
      - But saddling up anyway''.......John Wayne...

Anthony

I have an C&R integrated cooler on my Camaro. I have not measured temps (before and after), but definitely noticed a difference in foaming of the fluid FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by btmatt View Post
      I have an C&R integrated cooler on my Camaro. I have not measured temps (before and after), but definitely noticed a difference in foaming of the fluid FWIW.
      BTMatt, are you having issues with foaming using the C&R cooler?
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Lots of trucks in salvage yards have them, in all different shapes and sizes, most with hoses attached. I grabbed a long thin one that fit right beneath my radiator for a dollar or something. No reason not to run one.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

130FE, I was having problems before I added the cooler (rad). Looking back, the additional capacity probably helped more with that.

Since the op is using truck accessories and someone else mentioned using a stock truck ps cooler... I thought I would chime in. Granted I have also added hydroboost, after a couple consecutive autox runs my 2000 Silverado's ps pump is whining pretty good and puking a small bit of fluid. I am looking to remove the hydroboost to reduce some of the load on the pump along with replacing the stock cooler with an aftermarket unit. The stock GMT800 cooler is just an ~12" loop of steel hard line thru a series of steel fins. Although adequate for normal truck duties, it doesn't have a high enough transfer rate to handle performance driving. I would presume the ps system would get pretty warm with no cooler at all.

2000 Silverado RCSB

Built 6.1L / Kenne Bell 2.8L / 4L80E / Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      Lots of trucks in salvage yards have them, in all different shapes and sizes, most with hoses attached. I grabbed a long thin one that fit right beneath my radiator for a dollar or something. No reason not to run one.
      doit! well worth the investment to dissipate heat and prolong duty cycle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com