Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Camaro LS 427 / 4L80e Swap

I know alot of people ask about combinations that work. I can only share what worked on my car to get it running.

Holley Motor Mounts, Hooker Stainless Headers, Holley 4l80 trans crossmember, Champs oil pan, and Holley Hi ram was the combo that fit on my car. I was paranoid about what to use because I am using the tru turn steering system and wanted to clear. I wanted to try the Holley pan but it only fits up to a 3.62 stroke and I'm running a built 427 with a 4.0 stroke so I had to try something else. The champs pan fit great and I have had no problems with it. The only problem I had with the Holley system is that the humps in the trans crossmember to clear the exhaust were too tall and hit the floor pan. So I had to cut the floor pan out in both places and raise the floor pan so that they would clear. Besides that, everything went in good. I also have solid mounts if that matters for clearance.

This has been a 10 year project and I finally started it for the first time last week. Still have work to do like building tail pipes to go around the 4 link, et cetera. But man it feels good to listen to your girl say her first words after such a long time building.

1967 Camaro RS/SS - Project "Skunkworks" in Progress...

Very nice!

Great information, thanks.

Looks like there's several Champ's pans depending on use. Which one did you go with? I was planning on going with the Holley when I do my swap, and even though mine won't be a stroker, I'd like to have the option possible later down the road.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I went with the LS1000 oil pan. It worked for the wet sump set up I was going with. The only problem with the champs pan is that there is a few other things you have to get in order to run the champs pan that can add to the cost. I think I was somewhere between $400-$500 when it was all said and done.

In case you guys aren't aware, the new Holley 302-3 oil pan fits the same applications as the 302-2 pan and accommodates stroke lengths up to 4.00".

Awesome! Sounds good! I'm about to do the same swap, only with a 6 speed in my 67!

What front accessory drive are you running?

That Holley Hi Ram clears a stock cowl hood?

Nice work!

I have the Wegner WAK 013. I bought it from Detroit Speed at Turkey Rod Run a while go as a cash only, no take back type deal. Wegner was great to work with because half of the parts they gave me in the kit were wrong. Every time I called Wegner though, I spoke with the owner who engineers most of their stuff and he was great. The system fits with no clearance issues at all. I mean it HUGS the engine making sure you have plenty of clearance from the subframe and suspension. I'm also running power steering and an AC compressor on it as well. I wouldn't do the WAK 013 kit though. Come to find out, it is for carburetor applications based on the upper radiator hose placement. Luckily I was running the hi ram so I could get it to fit. And yes sir, it cleared my stock cowl hood. I had to trim the center bracing out but the hood closes. I'll see if I can find some pics to show you how I had to clearance the hood to get it to fit.

Name:  IMG_1998.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  190.3 KBName:  IMG_1240.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  221.5 KB

I still have to go back and cut the hood one more time just to straighten everything up and repaint the bottom side, but it fit without cutting out much of the bulk of the bracing. The other pic is an idea of the mock up on the Wegner kit to show you how much clearance you have around the suspension. I know they arent' cheap, but if I ever put a supercharger on top in place of the Holley Hi Ram they will be the people I call so I don't have any issues with clearance.

Awesome, thanks for the reply with pics. Where did you hide the coils, and what EFI setup are you running?

I'm running a truck 411 pcm with a psi conversion harness. The harness was around $700 and the pcm I got from somebody for free. I went with the older truck pcm so I could run a cable throttle body. I know not too many people do it and prefer dbw, but I have witnessed quite a few of the dbw throttle bodies go into performance reduced mode where it wouldn't let you go over 1k to 1500 rpms. In fact, my truck did that one time. I also like the old school method of being able to walk up to the engine at the front of the car and have the ability to control the rpms as I play with stuff. I mounted the coils in the crossover between the engine and the radiator and ran msd wires up under the engine so you wouldn't see the wires outside of the headers. I'll take some pictures of everything tonight and post them up so you can see where I mounted them. I bought the mounts I think from ebay. I believe they are ict billet mounts.

Here are some pics so you can see where I mounted the coils and how I ran the plug wires behind the headers so it hid them as much as possible around the header. Let me know bud if you need or want any other pics.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com