Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Low 11V charge at idle but normal just off idle

Hello all...bit of an odd issue here. Got low voltage at idle (11.5 or so), but the second it goes off idle its up to normal. Now the ground strap is brand new, as is the battery. The pulleys are a March serpentine setup, 75mm and 172mm for the Alt pulley and crank pulley so 2.3 ratio. Alternator is 3 wire and has plenty of power to run electric water pump, fans etc, but the issue is I have EFI now. So when I come to a stop and the ECU sees less than 12 volts it shuts down.

Any thoughts?

Manuel Scettri
      ------------------------------------------------
      1973 Firebird - Pontiac 455
      1990 2 Door 4Runner - byebye
      2016 KIA Sportage diesel - The Daily Driver

Get a better EFI system? No reason it should shut down at just under 12 volts. Cranking voltage is usually in the 10 volt range, maybe it is something in the tune? Bob.

Country Flag: United States
      No EFI system should shut down at 12v, i think there is a different issue. I've run a car off of 9 volts before..

Sounds like you need a different alt, or perhaps a smaller pulley. AND you have some tuning to do.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Did you put a voltmeter right at the EFI controller? Maybe it is seeing much less than 12 volts due to a wiring issue. Check your grounds too.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Was the voltage ever good, or did it just start. If it was good at one time, what have you changed since then? Also make sure you have multiple grounds connecting the engine/frame/body and they are all good clean solid connections.

Quote Originally Posted by a67 View Post
      Get a better EFI system? No reason it should shut down at just under 12 volts. Cranking voltage is usually in the 10 volt range, maybe it is something in the tune? Bob.
      Its a brand new Holley Sniper...a better system would be a much more upgraded one. Im not an EFI expert, but I think cranking amps dont correlate to how many volts the system needs to run reliably. Ill look into that with Holley anyway.
      Manuel Scettri

Quote Originally Posted by rocketrod View Post
      Was the voltage ever good, or did it just start. If it was good at one time, what have you changed since then? Also make sure you have multiple grounds connecting the engine/frame/body and they are all good clean solid connections.
      Actually the idle voltage has never been excellent, but it does have two brand new ground straps now. Maybe the 2.3 pulley ratio is too low for proper idle voltage?
      Manuel Scettri

What is your voltage reading off of the battery and alternator stud? I would look at those in addition to what RocketRod and Don said to do.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

A lot of alternators don't "excite" (or start charging) until after a certain rpm. I'm thinking changing the pulley might create more rpm at the alternator without revving the motor up.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      What is your voltage reading off of the battery and alternator stud? I would look at those in addition to what RocketRod and Don said to do.
      Ill check this and come back...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      A lot of alternators don't "excite" (or start charging) until after a certain rpm. I'm thinking changing the pulley might create more rpm at the alternator without revving the motor up.
      Thats what has me a bit confused...the second the RPM is off idle the voltage jumps to normal.
      Manuel Scettri

What is the voltage at the point where the sense wire is connected? It should maintain 14V at this point at all times.

At what rpm does your car idle?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      What is the voltage at the point where the sense wire is connected? It should maintain 14V at this point at all times.
      I’ll check...if it isn’t?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      At what rpm does your car idle?
      Idle is steady at 800 or so
      Manuel Scettri

So had a look at the ground straps, cleaned them up and idle voltage is now up to 12. Its odd though, the straps are brand new and the contacts werent particularly rusty. It seems to me like just 12 volts at idle is still low.
      Manuel Scettri

You want 3:1 on the pulley ratio. So get a bigger crank pulley or smaller alternator pulley.....or raise the idle speed.

Then check voltage at the EFI controller, if it doesn't match what the alternator is putting out, correct that.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Yep, your alternator is spinning too slow at idle. Like others have said you need a bigger crank pulley or smaller alternator pulley. I started with a stock March serpentine front drive kit and initially I had the same problem. At idle the voltage would drop off even with a 140 amp alt. It was pretty obvious to me that the alt was simply spinning too slow at idle even with a 1000rpm engine idle speed. I installed a smaller alternator pulley and the problem disappeared immediately. You could test this by simply raising the engine idle speed.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Yep, your alternator is spinning too slow at idle. Like others have said you need a bigger crank pulley or smaller alternator pulley. I started with a stock March serpentine front drive kit and initially I had the same problem. At idle the voltage would drop off even with a 140 amp alt. It was pretty obvious to me that the alt was simply spinning too slow at idle even with a 1000rpm engine idle speed. I installed a smaller alternator pulley and the problem disappeared immediately. You could test this by simply raising the engine idle speed.
      Yes, the alternator pulley does help.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post

Then check voltage at the EFI controller, if it doesn't match what the alternator is putting out, correct that.
      Absolutely. Check ALL voltage taps on the ECM. I had mine where the battery tap was seeing full alternator voltage, but the switched igntion tap was 1.5V lower. Caused significant driveability problems until I discovered that discrepancy.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Also, where does the positive cable for the EFI connect to? Holley is very adamant that the + wire be connected directly to the battery.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com