Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5 rib vs 6 rib serpentine belt

I have a serpentine belt question. In my 66 Chevelle I have an LS3 with Vintage Air and a Holley Accessory Drive Kit. I have about 1,200miles on the engine and I have eaten two belts. Basically, the AC side rubs the outer (front) groove out of the 6 rib serpentine belt to make it a 5 rib belt.

On the drivers side the belt will be on the back 5 ribs, and on the AC side the belt is on the front 5 ribs. I tried putting the bely on theback on the AC side and it squeaks terribly.
      I have run the car about 300 miles with the 5 rib belt, no issues. So, my question is, should I just leave it? And if I need to fix it,how, I think it is lined up, but clearly not.

Appreciate any help.

Rpm66
      Attached Images Attached Images        

I would dig deeper and find the source of misalignment. Could be something as simple as a missed washer.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I went through the directions from Holley, actually the washers were wrong, the shop I had the car at added one. Turns out that if I put it by the book, it squeaks even worse. Anyone know someone in NC that is good at this type of thing?

I think GM Performance has a bracket that mounts the AC high on the passenger side. Has anyone done this? Sure could use the part number.

rpm66
      Rodger Moore
      Aberdeen, NC

1966 Chevelle
      LS3 / T56

Clearly something is not aligned correctly despite what the instructions say. Have you called Holley? You also may need to use a laser to check the pulley alignment.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve,

We did use the laser, of course I'm not sure the capability of the guys using it.

I ended up calling Holley, they sent me 2 washers that they say fix 99.9% of the problems. I'll know in a few days.

Rodger
      Rodger Moore
      Aberdeen, NC

1966 Chevelle
      LS3 / T56

had similar issue, wound up being my alternator bracket needed spaced out via 3 washer mounting points only after it ate a belt and ripped the wires out of my mass air sensor.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com