Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dakota Digital VHX Feedback

Getting closer to committing to redoing dash in my GTO.....

I am still torn between restoring stock gauges(Idiot Lights) and leaving Autometer Water, Oil, and Tach hanging under the center of the dash , or Installing Repro Rally Gauges, or finally going with Dakota Digital VHX Gauges....

I honestly have had bad luck personally with installing some "aftermarket" parts on my GTO, so I am a little gun shy about the Dakota Digital stuff, even though I have seen very little in bad reviews on them.

So I ask.... for people that have installed them, and especially those that have had them for awhile.... Any issues with their VHX setups?

Thank you in advance...

Troy

Troy
      67GTO

I have had both the VHX and now HDX series gauges in my car. Installation is pretty easy as long as your cars chassis wiring is in good shape to connect to its control panel. If it isn’t, The kit includes is own wiring harness for each sender (oil, water and speedo (vss). All of your chassis wiring (or if you use included harnesses) plug into the main control panel and then the gauges plug into it. The kits are very complete with whatever type (metric and standard) fittings for whatever engine you have in your car. The VHX series are good for someone looking the upgrade their factory setup to one with a clean modern look. With led backlighting and the ability to add on BIM modules (such as the OBD2 or other vairiiue ones), they allow you expand its readings while keeping it simple. They are a nice setup for someone upgrading without breaking the bank.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I've had the VHX gauges in my 70 for almost two years, w/o any problems. Love the blue backlighting, at night.

Thank you for your feedbacks....

I figure at the same time, I might as well replace the 50 year old dash harness....

How much of the original type harness do you end up using if I go with the Dakota Digital setup....

The reason I ask is, the Factory original Dash Harness from M&H or American Autowire is $400+ just for the Dash Harness or I can do the whole American Autowire Classic Update Kit and end up with the modern fusebox under the dash....
      So which is the better way to go when paired up with the Dakota Setup.... ?
      Troy
      67GTO

You can use either the old dash harness (or replace your car harness with a Classic update one). The kit comes with its own senders and harnesses, so most are independent of your factory harness other than a bat, ign, ground, turn signals, high beam which come from your chassis harness. The kit also comes with adapters to put the senders in any kind of engine you might have.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Country Flag: Australia
      Ive had my VHX Gauges in my 69 Camaro since mid 2014, Ive never had a problem or issue with them,...great stuff..

Only suggestion Id like and Im thinking about is wirirng in an additional & seperate blinker light and mounting them in the block between the gauges , as sometimes I dont see the blinkers staying on,,,,n the Camaro is a bit noisy so I dont hear the click either,

In fact im so happy with them Ive acquired a second set , but this time from a 53 Chevy pickup to for my latest project a 64 Ford F100

Angry

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com