Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

"LS" brake upgrade warning

For those running the "LS" brake upgrade on G bodies, S10's and possibly 3rd gen F bodies. (3rd gen's mount the caliper a little differently)

Check your clearances... I had a "moment" driving Frankenstine recently, a loss of brake pressure in traffic.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Frankenstein

IMG_20180324_113202737_HDR by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      The banjo bolt is making contact with the frame when the steering is at full lock during suspension travel. I'm just now getting to check to see if the banjo bolt is damaged or if it's the caliper...

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for posting this. It looks like when the caliper bracket was designed, the clocking of the caliper was not carefully considered.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I am so glad I saw this post. I am building a second gen for my son and will definitely pay attention to this.

Thank you, this must of been what was happening to me when I put my c5 calipers on. Who made your bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      Thank you, this must of been what was happening to me when I put my c5 calipers on. Who made your bracket?
      I made the brackets from info off the net.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer838 View Post
      I made the brackets from info off the net.

Joe

Got it, thank you

Wanted to update this thread, found some button head banjo bolts at Summit, made by Russell
      IMG_20180504_190311323 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      This gave me enough room without having to modify the steering stops or heating and denting the frame...

Joe

There always seem to be an endless amount of little unthought about details out there to get us. Guess you have all sorts of room for variables when mixing up parts
      Still planning to use the 98 to 02 calipers on the front of my g-body, though redesigning bracket myself for 14" vette front rotors. Haven't heard of any other g-body issues to date.
      One more thing on my check list now.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      There always seem to be an endless amount of little unthought about details out there to get us. Guess you have all sorts of room for variables when mixing up parts
      Still planning to use the 98 to 02 calipers on the front of my g-body, though redesigning bracket myself for 14" vette front rotors. Haven't heard of any other g-body issues to date.
      One more thing on my check list now.
      It's the details that make the difference... with 14" rotors, you''l probably clear the frame with room to spare, I'm looking to stepping up to 13" when I do the disc brake 8.8, the stock drums look ridiculous in the 18" wheels... Not much bigger than the spacers...

Joe

Wanted to update this thread, found some button head banjo bolts at Summit, made by Russell
      IMG_20180504_190311323 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      This gave me enough room without having to modify the steering stops or heating and denting the frame...

Joe
      Thanks for posting your solution. I was looking for this thread to see if you found a one. I am ordering those banjo bolts when I get home so I can give my brakes another wack. Thanks again!

Keep in mind the position of the caliper is going to change throughout suspension travel and steering, and will also be affected by alignment. If you're seeing contact now I wouldn't rely on just that little bit of clearance gain from a hex to button head banjo bolt. I'd think hard about reclocking the calipers or limiting the steering.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      Keep in mind the position of the caliper is going to change throughout suspension travel and steering, and will also be affected by alignment. If you're seeing contact now I wouldn't rely on just that little bit of clearance gain from a hex to button head banjo bolt. I'd think hard about reclocking the calipers or limiting the steering.
      I ran it through it's travel while I had the springs out last weekend, that was it's tightest spot, plenty of room now...

Joe

I ran it through it's travel while I had the springs out last weekend, that was it's tightest spot, plenty of room now...
      Great! Glad you checked.

Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com