Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Which products should we make next? Check it out...

Our ExtReme chassis and subframes have been a huge hit with their cutting edge geometry and suspension design and their ability to fit massive tires up front where they normally won't go. A big thanks to all who've seen the benefits and have supported us by installing them in your cars and trucks.

We're moving forward with more ExtReme designs but the guys in R&D are torn on developing which platform next that will best serve your needs. Please let us know what exactly you want from us, CLICK HERE to take a quick 3 minute, 6 question check box survey and help point us in the right direction.

To know why we want to develop more ExtReme platforms and to find out what makes them a better choice CLICK HERE for our ExtReme suspension overview web page.

Thanks for helping out!

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Ben,

My next dream project is a C3 with an IMSA widebody kit and an all aluminum big block with a nasty cam and side pipes. I see too many LS powered cars that seem too tame.

Anyway, I put my 2 cents worth in the survey.

I’m glad the new product line I is working well for you. I guess when the Nova is done I need to make a trek to St. George to see you guys and to try my hand at straightening some mountain roads like I used to do in college.

Thanks for adding your opinion, Bill. The C3 and that road trip sounds awesome. Our doors are always open for shop tours to everyone, M-F 8-4:30, please stop by if you get out this way.
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Thanks to all who've participated so far, we're seeing some interesting answers. I'll post up the results after we hit 100 responses.

I gave my opinions...you know how opinions go...LOL

I think there is real value in developing products for platforms that are less expensive to buy in decent shape. For instance, I think the 73-82 chevy trucks are very affordable. Likewise, C3 Corvettes are relatively affordable...etc...

Also, why not some later model mini trucks? I have a 1999 Mazda (ranger clone). Those trucks can be purchased cheap and with a custom chassis engine swaps would be very easy. For instance, a Ranger truck chassis option could include Coyote, SBF, EcoBoost (4 and 6 cylinder), LS, etc...

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Early Nova!!

I filled out the survey. I would additionally like to see a front stub available to sell for builders. Ideally to order a universal front Stub with different track widths to weld into a custom frame. Potentially a rear IRS stub offering or a couple lengths of the famous torque arm setup as a builder kit.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Great input everyone! I will surely pass it on.

One thing to consider with which platform we choose is that a full chassis and suspension runs roughly $15K, a subframe for unibody cars about $8K. I'm really involved in the G-body world and generally the reason people are buying them is because they're still relatively cheap, and I think most guys that have them buy them over say a Camaro out of necessity rather than it's the car of their dreams. With that in mind I doubt we'd actually sell many chassis for that platform so we'll stick to the bolt on parts instead of creating a new frame for them. It takes a lot of research and development costs to make this suspension fit a specific platform so we really have to make sure it'll sell too. S10s is another that would be great for autoX but a majority of them are owned by teenagers with low budgets like my son who's building one to autoX.

Another point to consider, the ExtReme line could be said to be our Race line, geared towards the guys that are a little more serious about racing fairly regularly. Although we now have an ExtReme frame for the '55-57 Chevies we have to compete with other chassis companies that build their frames more specifically for the car to simply get from home to cars and coffee and to an occasional show. We're hoping to change that mentality and allow that group to not only have a great cruiser but also have the ability to thrash the autoX course at Goodguys too. The result of bringing forth a new platform can of course influence what we start seeing show up at autocrosses. Doing a chassis for squarerbody 73-86 Chevy trucks is a great example of using a product to change the mindset of what the vehicle can be used for. Still we need to focus our efforts, at least for now, towards the cars that we can realistically anticipate the buyer will see the value of our suspension design and take advantage of it.

Typhoon- The suspension pick up points can't change or it'll mess up the geometry which is about as perfect as it can get with the technology that's available today. That said we can't change the suspension, and we build the frames around that suspension package rather than build the suspension around an existing car's frame dimensions as our competitors do. We can supply a chassis clip, we've sold a bunch of these based on our Pro Touring subframe's suspension (click here) and I believe we have now sold a couple ExtReme clips to go into different cars. I don't have an official part number or have the ExtReme "Hot Rod Clip" on the website, but a quick call to Blake should get that ordered. We have sold complete as well as parts of Torque Arm kits for adaptation into other cars, early Mustangs have been a popular application. Again, it's not on the website but definitely available through a phone call. They work amazingly well and they're so simplified too, so it's a great suspension to fit in a custom application. There's a possibility ;) we may be working on an ExtReme IRS but we want it to be perfect before we launch it so it's still in the R&D stages, or rather "maybe it could be possibly" in the R&D stages... :D

Thanks again for your input, we do listen and as mentioned I will pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I gave my opinions...you know how opinions go...LOL

I think there is real value in developing products for platforms that are less expensive to buy in decent shape. For instance, I think the 73-82 chevy trucks are very affordable. Likewise, C3 Corvettes are relatively affordable...etc...

Also, why not some later model mini trucks? I have a 1999 Mazda (ranger clone). Those trucks can be purchased cheap and with a custom chassis engine swaps would be very easy. For instance, a Ranger truck chassis option could include Coyote, SBF, EcoBoost (4 and 6 cylinder), LS, etc...

Andrew
      Andrew, How about for the GM S series trucks then you can talk Rory into doing his Sonoma.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door next project.

Tim- My son has recently started a Pro Touring S10 build, we're working on the SBC engine swap right now, and when we get to it we'll be test fitting G-body parts on it. Everything he's researched says control arms are a direct swap. We also have had a couple customers use our G-Body Chicane coilover conversion kit on S10s who've said it was a direct fit. Although we may never have an ExtReme full chassis for an S10/Sonoma, looks like we do have bolt on parts for them. When my son and I get to that point on our S10 we'll be sure to post up a thread on it.

I hate to say this because I absolutely want domestic-made product, but I think the first to market with a modern geometry design and heavily outsourced manufacturing is going to win in this space from a business perspective. If you bring the costs of something like this down in a import/value line you will pick up a lot a lot of customers. I saw it happen in the Toyota offroad aftermarket - a company came along making very similar products that were outsourced to hit much lower prices and pretty soon they dominated the market over the innovators and high-quality competitors in the space. If you don't do it yourself, another company may very well come along and copy your product and do it for you - a sad reality of the world we live in. I think it's already happened with a large number of products in this space (just open a Summit/Jegs catalog). Lots of people out there are shopping on price; I think instead of working out an expanding set of applications, I would kick off a value line that can compete at a lower price point for some of the applications you already have. My $0.02 - flame suit on.
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

I'm a Mopar guy, so my answers aren't of any value.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Not so much, your opinion is valuable too. If you have an idera that you don't see on the survey feel free to post it here. Traditionally Speedtech has been GM based as that's where a majority of the market is and in the past weren't equipped to branch out too far from that tree. Now that the company is established here in the states, Speedtech is pushing the envelope on design and performance and is growing at an accelerated rate, so it's time to move forward with adding more and more products to the line up. If we get enough call for Ford and Mopar products then it's likely we'll see movement in those directions in the future. For now, many folks have integrated our Subframe and Torque Arm products into other cars, so no brand is entirely on hold in that respect.

I really wish you guys had these kits when I started my '68 Camaro build. The quality of parts and price point are pretty good. Will definitely be checking back in a few years when we build a '52ish chevy truck for my wife. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! We appreciate the compliments.

So for the next chassis we have to pick to start R&D on we've narrowed it down to these choices...
      • 73-87 C10
      • 62-67 Nova
      • 82-92 3rd Gen Camaro
      • 67-69 Camaro drag race frame

Feel free to comment on these!

Would like to see the 3rd gen get some attention!
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
      Would like to see the 3rd gen get some attention!
      Me too.

As far as cars go, the 3rd gen is leading, followed closely by the early Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
      As far as cars go, the 3rd gen is leading, followed closely by the early Nova.
      I like the aerodynamic advantages of the 3rd Gen F-Bodies, but struggle with the front suspension limitations. I'm not a fan of struts. It will be interested to see what you guys come up with.

I see prices for 3rd gen F-bodies going up. I think this reflects the people who were kids when they were new getting old enough to start buying/building combined with the suitable population of cars decreasing.

That said, most did not have manual transmissions, so swap parts for that will be key. Also, anything needed to get big tires under all corners (wide fenders, tubs, revised hubs, etc.), and maybe an IRS conversion? My understanding is that the suspensions are OK out of the box. I also thought I read once that the Gen5 Camaro calipers bolt on and can run with C6 ZR1 rotors. Could you spec a master cylinder, booster, and ABS computer to match it?

Now that I've said that, maybe a tune-able ABS system for Gen1 F-bodies? I'm only aware of a few people doing it with the high dollar bosch motorsports solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com