Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Help choosing best Upper/Lower Control Arm + Spindle Combo

I'm trying to pick out a good Upper/Lower Control Arm + Spindle combo for my 1970 Buick Skylark and I'm stuck between the two:

1) UMI Upper/Lower 0.9 + 0.5 Tall BJ w/ ridetech Spindle

OR

2) ridetech Upper+Lower StrongArms w/ Ridetech Spindle

Reason Im considering UMI Control Arms is because I didn't see any descriptions of the Strong Arms having 0.9/0.5 taller BJ's, so I'm thinking maybe the UMI ones might be better. At the same time I feel like I should go strictly RideTech since all parts were designed to work together as a system.

Can someone enlighten me on this or recommend a better setup?

Purpose of the car is purely street driving/daily driver with modern handling.
      Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading

My .02

1- BMR with the same ball joints and mentioned in the umi setup for a more economical setup

2- speedtech high clearance uppers with the powers and speedtech AFX/ATS spindles. That C7 bearing pack is second to none. That sealed bearing can't be touched by anything else in my opinion.

My BMR first choice if your on a budget, but the speedtech 2nd choice if u want the best available. I've had both in that same order first the BMR stuff then upgraded to the AFX/ATS spindle and both awesome setups within the budget I was shooting for. The speedtech I wouldn't mess with at all now. Car is awesome since I never have to worry about greasing, torqueing or any maintenance to that bearing pack. So much other stuff to worry about it's nice to know I don't have to worry about the spindles. Like I said I've ran both on my car both awesome but if I did it again I'd go straight to speedtech stuff. With that said I still think that BMR stuff is awesome and reasonably priced and made in the US so u know it's quality.

Country Flag: United States
      ridetech has a good combo and you can assume they did their homework in regards to geometry of the combo. I wouldn't be afraid to run them at all and they are a great option.

UMI has also done their homework and have premium components. I previously have ran the cheap ebay setup and now converted to UMI over the last year or so. They have the new cornermax kit out for the front end that consists of a drop spindle (fatman, which is the same as the ridetech spindle), coilover lower arms with drop out shock mounts, adjustable upper arms and the complement of the rest of the front components. I may be partial but, I would argue their new kit is the baddest bolt on setup you can get right now for A-body's. If your on a budget more, then their normal a-arm combo with tall bj's are a great option. They can also help with mixing/matching shocks, coilovers etc with you( viking, afco, etc.)
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Regarding our kit (ridetech). . .
      You don't need taller ball joints. . .the spindle does that for you as it's a dropped pin and the upper ball joint location is taller than the stock spindle.

Taller lower ball joint lowers the car.
      Taller upper ball joint increases camber gain during compression.

So either run our full kit, or the UMI kit with the OE spindle (if only referencing the two kits you mentioned)

Thanks Brit. I'd agree that UMI and RT work well together if the OP decides to choose that combo.

Our 4056 adjustable arm with standard ball joint and 4031 or 4032 lower arm with standard ball joint plays nicely with the RT spindle.

Like Brit mentioned, that tall-ness is all in the spindle so no tall ball joints required.

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
      Regarding our kit (ridetech). . .
      You don't need taller ball joints. . .the spindle does that for you as it's a dropped pin and the upper ball joint location is taller than the stock spindle.

Taller lower ball joint lowers the car.
      Taller upper ball joint increases camber gain during compression.

So either run our full kit, or the UMI kit with the OE spindle (if only referencing the two kits you mentioned)
      Thank you for the info Britt! Makes more sense to me now

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      Thanks Brit. I'd agree that UMI and RT work well together if the OP decides to choose that combo.

Our 4056 adjustable arm with standard ball joint and 4031 or 4032 lower arm with standard ball joint plays nicely with the RT spindle.

Like Brit mentioned, that tall-ness is all in the spindle so no tall ball joints required.

ramey
      Awesome. Thank you Ramey!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon1015 View Post
      ridetech has a good combo and you can assume they did their homework in regards to geometry of the combo. I wouldn't be afraid to run them at all and they are a great option.

UMI has also done their homework and have premium components. I previously have ran the cheap ebay setup and now converted to UMI over the last year or so. They have the new cornermax kit out for the front end that consists of a drop spindle (fatman, which is the same as the ridetech spindle), coilover lower arms with drop out shock mounts, adjustable upper arms and the complement of the rest of the front components. I may be partial but, I would argue their new kit is the baddest bolt on setup you can get right now for A-body's. If your on a budget more, then their normal a-arm combo with tall bj's are a great option. They can also help with mixing/matching shocks, coilovers etc with you( viking, afco, etc.)
      Yeah I have my eye on the cornermax kit as well. Looks like some serious stuff. Thank you for the input also

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 232_ray View Post
      My .02

1- BMR with the same ball joints and mentioned in the umi setup for a more economical setup

2- speedtech high clearance uppers with the powers and speedtech AFX/ATS spindles. That C7 bearing pack is second to none. That sealed bearing can't be touched by anything else in my opinion.

My BMR first choice if your on a budget, but the speedtech 2nd choice if u want the best available. I've had both in that same order first the BMR stuff then upgraded to the AFX/ATS spindle and both awesome setups within the budget I was shooting for. The speedtech I wouldn't mess with at all now. Car is awesome since I never have to worry about greasing, torqueing or any maintenance to that bearing pack. So much other stuff to worry about it's nice to know I don't have to worry about the spindles. Like I said I've ran both on my car both awesome but if I did it again I'd go straight to speedtech stuff. With that said I still think that BMR stuff is awesome and reasonably priced and made in the US so u know it's quality.
      Id like to go AFX and C7 brakes, but I'm on a college budget right now lol. Thank you for the input!

when your ready give give me a call I can walk you through both Brit and Rameys gear, and I can save you a few dollars also to help the college budget here is my site.. Suspension Geek

thanks

Rodney

I opted for the AFX/ATS spindles, SpeedTech upper/lowers and had my fabricator make a set of JRi coilovers work. 14.25" Wilwoods to top it off. I want to drive this car often on the street and do all forms of racing. It has a 3.25 gear out back.... so I'm hoping with the 5.3 and Holley EFI I can squeek out 25mpg highway running e85 or a blend of 91/e85 (has Flexfuel).

The 2nd shot from the bottom shows a GW drag control arm which we opted to swap over to the more applicable SpeedTech parts. SpeedTech was great to work with and supplied the spindles/control arms and also assisted with helping me confirm shock lengths to order.
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      69 Chevelle 1000hp turbo LS, T56 Mag, JRi coilovers, Watts/torque arm 9", 14" Wilwoods, Recaro CTSv seats, cromo cage, a/c, p/s, built by Coffey Fab Nashville, TN.
      93 RX-7 1200hp turbo LS9, T56 Mag, 8.8", 9.3@163mph + 197mph 1/2 mile

that was fast, 3 days ago you asked advice on what to buy and install...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      Looks like different usernames
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      ahhh. I was wondering, ha ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      And different budgets.

Rod, I'm in Nashville and finishing my car; once it's done could you help me get the suspension dialed in? It's a simple setup but I'm not a pro.

Back on thread topic, I've used both ridetech and Speedtech and have been more than happy with the quality and customer support from both.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      And different budgets.
      big difference! I couldn't figure out how it got done so fast! I was like DAMN! I built a SEMA car in 6months but in a 3 day rate like that...I would have been done in a month!!! ha ha ha

Rod, I'm in Nashville and finishing my car; once it's done could you help me get the suspension dialed in? It's a simple setup but I'm not a pro.
      anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

LMAO I wish that was me

And different budgets.

Back on thread topic, I've used both ridetech and Speedtech and have been more than happy with the quality and customer support from both.
      Oh gosh, cmon man! Cause of that comment I’m now gonna have to pick between Speedtech and ridetech control arms lol.

I did an abortion of sorts, ridetech Strongarms for my LCA's with a combo of Speedtech UCA's ridetech coilovers and ATS spindles

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com