Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Disassemble, Move, Assemble a Used Lift

Moving into a new house with an attached 20W x 34D garage. I plan on installing a 4 post drive on lift in the rear location.

I have the ability to purchase a Direct Lift Pro Park 7,000# unit with jack for a great price.

My plan would be two man disassembly, load onto a rented flat bed trailer, and two man assembly at my new place. Has anybody done this? Any suggestions?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Best if you can find a trailer that fits between the posts, just back it under the raised hoist and drop it onto the trailer. You do have to disconnect all the cables, lay down the posts, unbolt the caps, and slide the end frames out of the top of the posts. Took us about an hour. Assembly not done yet.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Disassemble, transport and reassemble is not a big deal. I transported and assembled my 4 post lift by myself and while it would have been easier with help it was not a problem. Depending on the brand of the lift you can buy a castor kit which will allow you to move the lift around inside the garage and if the doors are big enough you can roll it outside. The biggest issue with disassembling a used lift will be containing the hydraulic fluid so you don't have a big mess. I would recommend capping the fittings on the lift cylinder and pump to keep the fluid all contained. The hydraulic lines are most likely -6AN but you would need to verify.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

If you can get it on casters or dollys _and_ it will fit on the back of a flat bed tow truck it will be easy and awesome.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Thanks guys. I may end up purchasing new anyway. I'm 6'6" and I see BendPak has with 82" rise that would allow me to walk under it without having to worry about smacking my head.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/fou...fts/hd-7p.aspx

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

When I've moved them before, I just laid the pump and motor down on the one ramp with the cylinder still connected.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nick View Post
      Thanks guys. I may end up purchasing new anyway. I'm 6'6" and I see BendPak has with 82" rise that would allow me to walk under it without having to worry about smacking my head.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/fou...fts/hd-7p.aspx
      You only need to smack your head once to know not to do it again! I scalped myself a month after I got my 4 Post. Still the Best Tool I've ever purchased!

I agree it is not fun smacking your head on your lift. I think my 4 post has something like an 78" rise. I'm 6'2" and in the top storage position I can walk under the platform without fear of a head bang.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com