Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Accusump one way valve question

Hey everyone. Got a hopefully easy question for you. I am looking to add in an Accusump system pretty soon. From what I have read, you need to run a one way valve so that the system does not feed oil back into the oil pan. I plan on running -10an lines. So my question is, what brand one way valve is everyone running? I dont want to cheap out on a valve and have it restrict the flow. So let me know what you are running and if you have any issues with it. Thanks!
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      Hey everyone. Got a hopefully easy question for you. I am looking to add in an Accusump system pretty soon. From what I have read, you need to run a one way valve so that the system does not feed oil back into the oil pan. I plan on running -10an lines. So my question is, what brand one way valve is everyone running? I dont want to cheap out on a valve and have it restrict the flow. So let me know what you are running and if you have any issues with it. Thanks!
      Howdy !

Accusump systems use a valve to close off the system, but it's not a one-way valve. In racing, we simply use manual valves with a lever on them. If we have a 3 quart tank, we add an extra 3 quarts to the engine oil.

If the valve is open ... and the engine is running ... the oil pressure of the engine pushes the 3 extra quarts of oil into the pressurized accusump tank. If the engine oil pressure falls ... the oil in accusump tank flows into the engine ... providing oil for a period of time. So when the engine is off, the extra oil is in the pan if the valve is open. If you close the valve while the engine is running, then turn off the engine, the oil will stay in tank.

I was about to explain electric valves when I remember Canton did a good story on them HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
      Howdy !

Accusump systems use a valve to close off the system, but it's not a one-way valve. In racing, we simply use manual valves with a lever on them. If we have a 3 quart tank, we add an extra 3 quarts to the engine oil.

If the valve is open ... and the engine is running ... the oil pressure of the engine pushes the 3 extra quarts of oil into the pressurized accusump tank. If the engine oil pressure falls ... the oil in accusump tank flows into the engine ... providing oil for a period of time. So when the engine is off, the extra oil is in the pan if the valve is open. If you close the valve while the engine is running, then turn off the engine, the oil will stay in tank.

I was about to explain electric valves when I remember Canton did a good story on them HERE.

Ron,

Thank you for the reply. I think we are talking about two different valves though. You are talking about the one right off the tank. I am going to use the manual style shut off valve for that. This diagram should to help explain the part I am talking about.

Name:  20180314_201400.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  69.6 KB

Ron,

Thank you for the reply. I think we are talking about two different valves though. You are talking about the one right off the tank. I am going to use the manual style shut off valve for that. This diagram should to help explain the part I am talking about.

Oh gotcha ... you're running yours through an oil cooler.

Not trying to be self promotional, but we use the Earl's #10 one way check valve Part # 253010ERL in our catalog HERE.

Best wishes! Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

Oh gotcha ... you're running yours through an oil cooler.

Not trying to be self promotional, but we use the Earl's #10 one way check valve Part # 253010ERL in our catalog HERE.

Best wishes! Ron

Ron,

No worries! And thank you for your input. I will check out that valve from your store.

In the picture I posted above, if you were to replace the oil cooler with an oil filter, has anyone used an oil filter as a one way valve? I know some have an anti-drain back valve built in but not sure how much psi they would hold up to.

Ron,

No worries! And thank you for your input. I will check out that valve from your store.

In the picture I posted above, if you were to replace the oil cooler with an oil filter, has anyone used an oil filter as a one way valve? I know some have an anti-drain back valve built in but not sure how much psi they would hold up to.
      We haven't done it that way.

Ron,

I'm running the Accusump and oil cooler. My system is plumbed with -10 line exactly like the diagram using an Earls check valve. Took it on track last weekend and the system works exactly as expected.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com