Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TanksInc EFI Pump Retrofit - Okay with NO tank baffling?

I have a 70's Dodge Truck, which means TanksInc (or anyone else) does not make an EFI conversion tank for it. It's a long thin poly/plastic tank and I need to add a drop-in EFI fuel pump.

I am considering the $225 Tanks setup with the little fuel tray. Is anyone running one of these without any sort of baffling? The truck isn't the fastest thing out there, but I would like it to not stumble all over the place when at ~1/4 tank, if I can help it. Looking for feedback, thanks.

Name:  tnk-pa-2_xl.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  52.4 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

If the Tanks setup is insufficient, any experience with a Aeromotive Phantom? It's 2x the cost...

Name:  aeromotive-phantom-200-fuel-pump.jpeg
Views: 636
Size:  19.2 KB
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

The issue you've got is the tank, not the pump. Tanks Inc. makes a bunch of tanks (EFI specific--note search parameters on their site) that you can put in with minimal modification. They come with baffles and bowls, depending on which one you pick. If you're not hammering corners or drag racing, you can do just fine without a baffled tank, but if you can install one, why not? Buy the parts separately, and avoid getting a Walbro knockoff on eBay (don't ask me why I know this). Spend your money on a decent tank (200 bucks?), then just buy the super-basic pickup, not the tray thing. On that note, I seem to have broken one of their gauge sending units at a track day last weekend . . .

For evidence, I've used two of Tanks Inc's generic pickup truck tanks (EFI-specific), one of which is in my Falcon now. The tanks are great.

Attachment 150469

The Jakefab fuel puck is also a worthwhile thingamajig to add . . . I just don't have a picture of it on this computer.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look at some measurements on the universal tanks. The truck is bone stock with the exception of the FiTech, I would like to modify tank mounting, the filler neck, fuel sending unit, etc. as little as possible, if any, to accommodate the swap.

My Hemi 'Cuda has a tanks tank and JakeFab puck, nice parts.

GoodysGotaCuda,

I haven't used one of these yet, but it came up on my radar and I'm thinking about using one.
      Maybe it will work for your installation, seem quite simple

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...owersurge.html

BB

One of our employees used the setup you first referenced from Tanks and I haven't heard of any issues. It was a 67 Bel Air with an LS, stock tank.

We've used the Aeromotive stealth phantom system many times and it's a great unit! If you're after price, I'd say the Tanks piece should work out fine for you.

It is a good practice to always be above 1/4 tank no matter what though

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bowtie View Post
      GoodysGotaCuda,

I haven't used one of these yet, but it came up on my radar and I'm thinking about using one.
      Maybe it will work for your installation, seem quite simple

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...owersurge.html

BB

Thanks. I’ve seen that, Fitech has a comparable surge tank as well [not the FCC]. I think it’s an option but it induces another layer of reliability risk. If the mechanical pump goes out, you’re dead in the water. The intank pumps are pretty darn reliable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      One of our employees used the setup you first referenced from Tanks and I haven't heard of any issues. It was a 67 Bel Air with an LS, stock tank.

We've used the Aeromotive stealth phantom system many times and it's a great unit! If you're after price, I'd say the Tanks piece should work out fine for you.

It is a good practice to always be above 1/4 tank no matter what though

-Dale

Thanks Dale. I am going to push for the Aeromotive. After the sticker shock, it seems like the best solution.

[QUOTE=GoodysGotaCuda;1260601]If the mechanical pump goes out, you’re dead in the water. The intank pumps are pretty darn reliable.

Agreed.. but most mechanical pumps are easier to change ( block mount vs tank drop )

BTW nice Cuda, I bleed bowties but really like those Cuda's as well.

I put an Aeromotive Stealth into a 72 C10 with no baffling, it works great. The owner has never had any issues with it picking up fuel.

Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com