Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Flat silver

Flat silver

Guy's my car has been in the body shop for over two years ( 69 Camaro ) way to long actually, any way been going back and forth over a silver, I was thinking maybe a flat silver, any pros, cons, any other suggestions on a nice silver. THANKS!

Choosing to go with a matte clear paint is up to you. It isn't hard to do, but make sure your painter is up to it. And make sure the clear being used is made to be a matte finish. The truck in the attachment was painted about 4 years ago, three trips through the booth and painted in pieces. All panels match each other because I followed a procedure, and used a pre packaged matte clear from PPG. D8115 is Flat, D8117 is Semi gloss, and they can be intermixed to get other shines as well to dial in the look you want.

Why prepackaged matte clear you may ask? Well because it makes the job easier. The clear is designed to be matte finished and will help with consistency. Sure you can flatten any gloss clear, but by matting it you are now asking that clear to be something it isn't designed to be. Can it be done? Sure, but it is harder to achieve the consistent look than something that is made to be that way.

Also, a BIG mistake I see guys make is in the spray process. Ever see a guy with a matte colored car, or even just the hood on his muscle car that is blotchy looking or has stripes in it? Thats because they aren't tuned in on spraying a matte clear. Generally speaking, a painter puts down a good coat of clear, then waits five or so minutes and then bangs a second coat. And that is where the trouble happens with a matte finish. In this case, the first coat goes down, and you wait. You wait for it to evenly dull down to whatever sheen you are expecting. Then, and only then do you apply the second coat of clear. IF there is any shy spots then that will cause it to blotch or stripe as it will trap any of that gloss. It;s not hard, but it is different then the normal gloss clear most painters are used to.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

Glenn that looks great, just thinking about it, there's so many silvers out there it's hard to choose one! THANKS!

make sure you use a color with pearl in it if your going to us matte clear. it looks way better with pearl in the color. most modern colors have it.

Country Flag: United States
      Normally I am opposed to flat finishes, mostly due to it not being done right, however a a 69 in silver is a different story, roadstershop nailed it with axis.

If you can't make up your mind, gloss it, then have it wrapped. You can have it both ways. Flat, satin, semi gloss, whatever is a trend that will not outlast your car.

Country Flag: United States
      I shot the roll cage in my car using the technique Glenn mentioned and the same PPG Global DB115 matte clear over silver. Came out exactly the way I wanted.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com