Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: Germany

SRG, Spec, Schwartz full frame or AME Clip and Speedtech 69 Camaro

Hi,

i am looking for the best suspension/frame for my 69 Camaro.
      Lurking for a few years on forums and working on the body of my 1. Gen, i want to decide, what to do for the suspension.
      The Camaro was a racecar since the 80s, therefore is no rust. But all the "modifications" done were a hackjob. Now i want to make it a nice street/track car, country streets and Autobahn. Stable and highspeed proof.
      The frame back is notched and minitubed, in front the sub is hacked for the engine.
      Now i am looking for the best solution for the money.
      Is it better to put in a full frame from SRG, Schwartz or the Spec chassis from the Roadstershop. They are looking all good and payable...

The other option would be an AME 4bar rear clip and the Speedtech Ultimate frontclip.
      I like the rearframe of the 4bar clip and the Speedtech frontsub is one of the best rightnow with this steering and the real wide front tires.... This would be more expensive, but.....

Please help me decide, i am open for every recommendation.

LOVE Germany! I served two years in the Military outside of Stuttgart and loved every moment.

Do you have TUV product requirements for the parts you will import? I know this applies to newer cars but don't know that laws for older ones. I'd look into that for certain if you haven't already, it could be a very big deal as they are very rigorous in their requirements.

Mark

Country Flag: United States
      I have the speedtech extreme subframe and torque arm in my 68 camaro. That said,I might of went with the 10k Roadster shop chassis. The geometry may not be on par with the speedtech set up but for the money your getting a full frame car.

I don't believe Roaster shop offers a torque arm set up which is why I went with speedtech. I've seen the Roadster shop chassis in person and it's amazing.

Speedtech is a great group of guys to deal with and their product is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. I'd contact Ron Sutton and let him know your goals and skill set and he can't guide you. He's a great guy to deal with.
      Ahmad B.

chassis selection

I too battle this for my 67. Saw the Roadster Shop stuff in Memphis at FBody weekend. AME, Detroit Speed, both awesome. But bang for buck I went with. Speed tech torque arm with their Dutchman 9". I haven't been install yet as I am in sheet metal stage mini tubs and such. When all that's complete iam going to drive it for a while and then upgrade my front subframe to Speed Tech also. Currently it's tubulars, coil over conversions with Viking double adjustable. And wilwoods. I drove with this front end before dismantle the car and was extremely happy with the front end. So that was my motivation for speed tech is I can. Do rear now and front later. If money was not a factor at all Roadster Shop all the way. I saw it on the ground bare, under a real deal Steel body under construction and under two complete cars. Again Nothing wrong with AME or DSE, both awesome companies and products as well as speed tech. But I was dang impressed with Roadster Shop. SRG I considered but not seriously.
      Good luck
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mean 69 View Post
      LOVE Germany! I served two years in the Military outside of Stuttgart and loved every moment.

Do you have TUV product requirements for the parts you will import? I know this applies to newer cars but don't know that laws for older ones. I'd look into that for certain if you haven't already, it could be a very big deal as they are very rigorous in their requirements.

Mark
      Hi Mark,
      thanx for your nice words. I am only 100 miles away from Stuttgart, but in Bavaria.
      You were here, then you know, you NEED a good chassis and a lot of steam for the Porsches, Audis...
      The TÜV is a real pain overhere. They make rules, nobody needs these rules.
      They think, they are smart and you dont have a chance with cars from 2000 and up.
      Certainly you need one engineer, who approves your older car to be legal on the streets.
      It must have nice welds, be safe and be overall well excecuted, then you get the OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I have the speedtech extreme subframe and torque arm in my 68 camaro. That said,I might of went with the 10k Roadster shop chassis. The geometry may not be on par with the speedtech set up but for the money your getting a full frame car.

I don't believe Roaster shop offers a torque arm set up which is why I went with speedtech. I've seen the Roadster shop chassis in person and it's amazing.

Speedtech is a great group of guys to deal with and their product is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. I'd contact Ron Sutton and let him know your goals and skill set and he can't guide you. He's a great guy to deal with.
      Hello Ahmad,

i think the same, the Speedtech front sub is the best rightnow !
      The other side is a fullframe, because it will be cheaper and good enough for me.
      And i dont want a torquearm, because my Camaro looks weak and cut in the rear.
      For this situation a rearclip with frame or fullframe is the best for my liking.

Do you think, it makes sence to contact Ron Sutton ? i have read a lot from him and most of it sounds expensive ?! I have some skills, but i am not a chassisbuilder and i like the readily available parts to get fit. Unfortunately i am on a (way to high)budget, too.
      I drool over the parts and cars, some on this forum make, wow !

Thank you for your input !

Hi Tankmasterj,

you are the second one for the Roadstershop frame. I know, its very good workmanship, but i cant see it myself. I am a little far away, lol. This makes your opinion even more important.
      But i second your motivation, too. Rear now and front sub later.
      The money is a factor for me and i want also the most bang for the buck.
      This said, i am looking ONLY at the Spec fullchassis, Schwartz or SRG. These are in reach for me .
      The AME or normal Roadstershop chassis is to expensive for me.
      Only for the new speedtech ultimate subframe i would give more money. Its wider front tires and super geometry and steering.
      I think the SPEC fullchassis from RS is less money as the rearclip and Speedtech sub, but i can be wrong.

All of you were impressed with Roadstershop. Are here opinions about the others ?
      For most of the time i will use the Camaro for the streets and Autobahn.
      No Autocross, some roadcourse sometimes.

I am ready for learning...

Why do you think a full frame is Better?
      what are the advantages?
      just asking for a friend? lol but seriously we have never had any flex or body alignment issues using the sub frame Heck RedZed has been auto crossed numerous times and it has no Subframe connectors or Roll bar and we see Zero issues. and let me tell you it is WAY easier to pull the subframe to do a engine swap than a full frame.
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      Why do you think a full frame is Better?
      what are the advantages?
      just asking for a friend? lol but seriously we have never had any flex or body alignment issues using the sub frame Heck RedZed has been auto crossed numerous times and it has no Subframe connectors or Roll bar and we see Zero issues. and let me tell you it is WAY easier to pull the subframe to do a engine swap than a full frame.
      Hello Blake,

i think you didnt understand me or my english is not good enough.
      i am not favouring a fullframe ! Since money is a factor for me, i looked only for Spec, SRG or Schwartz full chassis AND your ultimate sub and rearclip! Because in the end these fullframes will be cheaper than a rearclip and your fine ultimate frontclip . I said a lot of times, the Speedtech front sub is probably the best sub rightnow. But a little more money.

I would also have a question for you :
      If i go with your ultimate front sub, is it a good combination to go with the AME 4bar rearclip or similar ?

Thank you very much to participate here for my decision !

Shipping a full frame to Germany sounds very expensive to me....

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Shipping a full frame to Germany sounds very expensive to me....

Don
      Hi Don,

Yes it is !! We need to add freight, customs and tax. You can double the price, outch.
      I have a little advantage, i have a european friend with a container in Texas for the real big parts.
      But i drive and raced american cars for over 25 years and i am used to it, lol.
      I get parts from Conroe, Texas tomorrow. Wheel measuring tool.

Your car is very nice, too.

chassis

Autobahn,
      Another thing for Speed Tech torque arm. I fully understand wanting the rear clip. The AME is excellent quality as well. However Speed tech torque arm applies the load from accelerating to both front spring pockets and the rear of the front subframe via the torque arm mount. Both areas designed by factory to take load. So that makes full rear clip or subframe connectors less needed because of where the load is applied. The AME clip is nice but kinda like ridetech 4 links there is not a lot of adjustment available, and bolt in style like ridetech applys load in different places than factory designed.b I've known of some of those causing frame rails cracks. You won't see that with a torque arm, an AME clip or a Roadster Shop chassis. More to think about.
      I'm with you though I cannot see how a full frame would NOT be better and Roadster Shop spec chassis has alot to offer for 10 grand. Shipping and customs is a bitch though.
      Good luck.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn-Outlaw View Post
      Hello Blake,

i think you didnt understand me or my english is not good enough.
      i am not favouring a fullframe ! Since money is a factor for me, i looked only for Spec, SRG or Schwartz full chassis AND your ultimate sub and rearclip! Because in the end these fullframes will be cheaper than a rearclip and your fine ultimate frontclip . I said a lot of times, the Speedtech front sub is probably the best sub rightnow. But a little more money.

I would also have a question for you :
      If i go with your ultimate front sub, is it a good combination to go with the AME 4bar rearclip or similar ?

Thank you very much to participate here for my decision !

Well here is my take on it. we spent alot of time with Ron Sutton to develop the Extreme Sub frame to be as good as it could be geometry wise, then to fit the biggest tire. have the most steering angle AND price it compared to the other "BEST" options. since Jan we actually increased the VALUE of the extreme packages by now making them standard with the Ron Sutton secret Sauce shocks and Draco Springs, Again to make the package the BEST available. (obviously shock upgrades are still available to double or triple adjustable) that being said. WE feel and if you were to ask Ron what he thinks of the Torque arm there are alot of advantages or all the 4 links.

I can not go into specifics about other manufactures product for obvious reasons so I will focus on the torque arm. there is NO cutting or floor modification to install it, it allows 3" tail pipes over the axle and still have really low ride height. it works with or with out the mini tub, and actually you could even install in with out a mini tube and then do the tub later on if you chose to. the instant center and anti dive are better than most of the 4 links, there is really no adjust ability required as it is a engineered system, there is no pinion change during suspension travel, no wheel hop, roll center is adjustable from 6 to 11" the wheel base is adjustable with the Articulink no bind trailing arms.

There is minimal welding you could actually figure about 4 minutes of welding time there is a tuned adjustable rear sway bar as an option as well.

We have both a protouring torque arm and a Extreme package the only difference is the shocks and springs that are supplied but they are both matched to their respective front kits

Thanks for the comments and if there is anything I can help with let me know
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      Well here is my take on it. we spent alot of time with Ron Sutton to develop the Extreme Sub frame to be as good as it could be geometry wise, then to fit the biggest tire. have the most steering angle AND price it compared to the other "BEST" options. since Jan we actually increased the VALUE of the extreme packages by now making them standard with the Ron Sutton secret Sauce shocks and Draco Springs, Again to make the package the BEST available. (obviously shock upgrades are still available to double or triple adjustable) that being said. WE feel and if you were to ask Ron what he thinks of the Torque arm there are alot of advantages or all the 4 links.

I can not go into specifics about other manufactures product for obvious reasons so I will focus on the torque arm. there is NO cutting or floor modification to install it, it allows 3" tail pipes over the axle and still have really low ride height. it works with or with out the mini tub, and actually you could even install in with out a mini tube and then do the tub later on if you chose to. the instant center and anti dive are better than most of the 4 links, there is really no adjust ability required as it is a engineered system, there is no pinion change during suspension travel, no wheel hop, roll center is adjustable from 6 to 11" the wheel base is adjustable with the Articulink no bind trailing arms.

There is minimal welding you could actually figure about 4 minutes of welding time there is a tuned adjustable rear sway bar as an option as well.

We have both a protouring torque arm and a Extreme package the only difference is the shocks and springs that are supplied but they are both matched to their respective front kits

Thanks for the comments and if there is anything I can help with let me know
      I can’t find anything mustang related on the speed tech website, only GM frames. Can you please post a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
      I can’t find anything mustang related on the speed tech website, only GM frames. Can you please post a link?
      I think I saw some pics on Facebook.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn-Outlaw View Post
      Hi Don,

Yes it is !! We need to add freight, customs and tax. You can double the price, outch.
      I have a little advantage, i have a european friend with a container in Texas for the real big parts.
      But i drive and raced american cars for over 25 years and i am used to it, lol.
      I get parts from Conroe, Texas tomorrow. Wheel measuring tool.

Your car is very nice, too.

A couple of years back I shipped an AME front frame to England for a PT member. He's an American working over there. We used a shipper based out of Orange County CA. I'm happy to pass on his contact to you via PM if you would like to discuss his experience and logistics planning.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

Hi Cdog,

thank you very much for your offer !
      For us here in Europe the freight, taxes and customs are one of the most expensive parts of our car hobby.

I have way to much projects and nice drivable American cars and I ship a lot of parts (for me) over the year.
      I appreciate every offer in the USA or Europe to get contacts to help for this matter !

I wish you and all forum members a nice and merry Christmas !

Ridetech 4 Link

This does remind me, there is a little time gone from my last post, lol.
      I decided to go with a ride tech 4link for my 69 Camaro.
      Since the last post, the Camaro got new Quaters and front sheetmetal along the 4 link with Currie 9" rear.
      A little shorter rear for the 12" wheels with 325 tire.

I know, its a long way to the last work on the car. But I like every minute, if I go in the garage and see the car, it is very good for the soul. Next is a front subframe solution...

Following and hoping to see some pictures in the future!

Some years later, I am back and ordered a front subframe.
      A lot of work later, on other cars and garage, I ordered a subframe from DSE !

It looks very nice, works, and their customer service is OK !

The problem, as always, I am from Germany...
      I have the ridetech 4 link installed and decided between the Speedtech or the DSE. But I didn't get any answer from Speedtech and DSE answered immediately. Problem solved.
      If you dont want my business, another company gets it !
      The DSE guys made also a problem about the freight, but answered every question and gave me a good feeling.
      I am looking forward to the subframe and I am very excited about it.

I have a LS3 engine and I am undecided about the trans.
      Should I go with a 4L80 or with the BMW 8HP70...?
      And the brakes are next...?

This will be a longterm project and it is NO problem.

Name:  PHOTO-2023-11-01-13-41-54 2.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  279.4 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com