Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 camaro square tire setup for autocross

A couple years ago started setup for autocross and have done several events with my local scca. Did have 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 front, had a lot of push in corners and found limits on tire options. Decided to go square with 18x10 rocket racing attack wheels, for this season and after our first event I am very pleased. Significant improvement on turns, and my times were much improved. I do miss the big meat look out back but starting to get used to it. i also went from nitto 555 tires to bridgestone re71, so improvement likely a combo of square wheel setup and better tire compounds.

Name:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 7859
Size:  224.9 KB

1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Looks good, what size tire.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

had 315/35/17 rear and 275/40/17 front, now 275/35/18 all around
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

a few years ago I went 275 square on my car for autocross

this was a 275 17inch square set up
      Name:  26637692_10155829883435874_2114716285_n.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  101.0 KB

this was a 275 18inch setup
      Name:  18768359_746723908847567_4023923124599782963_o.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  144.7 KB

and now I run a 315 square set up
      Name:  28701273_10215644877265425_1423103270072557118_o.jpg
Views: 3062
Size:  156.0 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

315 square likely in my future, maybe next year. On stock subframe with ride tech and stock fenders with inners modified. Figure likely need aftermarket subframe and wide fenders for 315 on the front. Now that i have experience 275 square, 315 must be even better.
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Starting my research on aftermarket subframes. I am wanting to go 315 tire up front and for now want to keep my stock outer fender. I have modified my inner fenders to allow a 275 tire with 6in bs wheel. I have looked at speed tech extreme, but want to stay with my current sbc which I've learned won't work. LS may be in my future but not yet. With dse i don't think i can get enough wheel backspace to work and would need wider fender. Just happened to come across the no limit sniper ifs. Sounds like might fit my needs, any with experience on the subframe?
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Quote Originally Posted by sean69cam View Post
      Starting my research on aftermarket subframes. I am wanting to go 315 tire up front and for now want to keep my stock outer fender. I have modified my inner fenders to allow a 275 tire with 6in bs wheel. I have looked at speed tech extreme, but want to stay with my current sbc which I've learned won't work. LS may be in my future but not yet. With dse i don't think i can get enough wheel backspace to work and would need wider fender. Just happened to come across the no limit sniper ifs. Sounds like might fit my needs, any with experience on the subframe?
      I sell that frame and we have tested it with Rob from No Limit for the last year in very tough racing conditions in the Velocity Camaro, great turn in, the best components, clean sheet design

A lot of the improved steering likely came from the tire change. Not all of it, but there is a huge difference in grip levels between the 555 and RE71. They aren't from the same planet lol.

I run a TCI subframe with 315 front tires under a stock fender. The lip is rolled but not flared in anyway. You lose some steering angle by not flaring the fender but not enough to be a problem on any of the 20+ autocross courses per year I run. I can still get around in parking lots and make U turns too.

Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      A lot of the improved steering likely came from the tire change. Not all of it, but there is a huge difference in grip levels between the 555 and RE71. They aren't from the same planet lol.

I run a TCI subframe with 315 front tires under a stock fender. The lip is rolled but not flared in anyway. You lose some steering angle by not flaring the fender but not enough to be a problem on any of the 20+ autocross courses per year I run. I can still get around in parking lots and make U turns too.
      Hey Chad, can you let us know the specifics of your set up? What size wheels and backspacing are you running?

Awesome ride Chad! I have TCI frame as well. Whats your take on it?

Thanks Rob

I've been reading a thread on this site regarding the sniper frame when it first came out. A fair amount of questions are answered. May have a few more as I keep thinking. Sounds like inner fenders may have to be widened to fit 315 tire. I don't think ill have a problem with that.
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsBlueCamaro View Post
      Hey Chad, can you let us know the specifics of your set up? What size wheels and backspacing are you running?
      I saw your other thread. I missed it the first time around that you are doing a 69. Not sure why I thought it was a 67/68 when your original post clearly makes it a 69 The good news is that the 69 is wider than the 67/68 so you can fit a 315 on the TCI frame without losing steering radius.

My setup is a 18x11 wheel with 7.5” BS as Forgeline measures it. I measured 7” from tire bead surface. You can read about the full details of my build on my site here: AutoXandTrack Pro Touring Camaro

My friend just installed a TCI frame on a 69 with stock fenders and an 18x11 wheel. His wheel is from American Racing and he used 6.25" back spacing.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Rag Top Rob View Post
      Awesome ride Chad! I have TCI frame as well. Whats your take on it?

Thanks Rob
      Thanks Rob. I love my TCI suspension. Its the best upgrade I've ever done to the car. I did the full bolt ons with a stock subframe back in 2010/2011 when I was getting more into autocross and road course driving. The bolt on stuff does work but it wasn't enough for me. I was amazed at how much the car transformed when I added their subframe and torque arm suspension. It really allowed me to become a better driver at the track too.

When I started shopping around for subframe and a replacement for leaf springs I did the forum searches like everyone else. TCI is local to me so I saw them out flogging their stuff on the track. It seemed like the best bang for the buck for a low budget guy like myself. I've come to think of it as kind of like Corvettes. Just as good as a big name super car but for a lot less money.

I've now put 36K miles on my TCI suspension as well as competing extensively with the car for the past 3 years. The parts work. I've won National level SCCA autocross events, Won the GTV class in optima's Ultimate Street Car qualifying events and a bunch of podiums too, won the NMCA West season championship 2 years in a row and a bunch of other things I won't bore you with.

I'm a satisfied customer. In full disclosure I've also become pretty good friends with the TCI guys so could be accused of being a little biased. But I was a customer long before I became friends with them.

Thats good stuff!
      Thanks for sharing Chad.
      Makes me feel great. I just bought this car with this set up, (week ago) it has the subframe up front. But not the torque arm rear, its the 4 link.
      I've had a bunch of 69 Camaros over the years, some stock, some with bolt-ons, but this is my first subframe, and your right this car is waaaaaay better.
      I love the Corvette analagy.
      Very impressive resume by the way!
      Thanks again so much for the info.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com