Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Park brake shoe tearing up rotor hat. C6 style parking brake

Hi,

I am having issues with my rear parking bake shoes tearing the rotor hat up. I am running a Baer backing plate, Baer park brake setup (C5/C6 style), and Baer 2 piece rotors. However, I am running C-TEK park brake shoes for what it's worth.

This has happened twice now, and I can't figure it out. The first time was after about 200 miles I pulled the rear rotor off because the park brake no longer worked and found that there was a large lip in the park brake drum where the park brake shoe had dug into the drum/rotor hat. I assumed I had the park brake adjusted too tightly, so I had the drum machined/turned and reinstalled everything and it happened again within a 1,000 miles! In fact it's taken enough material out of the drum that I can completely depress the emergency brake and still spin the rear wheels with no resistance.

I have no idea what is causing this. I don't remember driving with the emergency brake on, but even if I did, wouldn't it do more damage to the pad rather than the parking brake drum?

The brakes are installed on a 12 bolt rear that has axle ends made to accept the large Ford tapered bearings. I also autocross the car frequently, but I don't see how any of that would play a part in the park brake issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Link to brake kit I am running (except I am using a Brembo Caliper with a custom bracket)
      http://baer.com/14-Rear-Pro-Plus-Bra...e-4302266.html

Link to park brake shoes I am using.
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...model/corvette
      1969 Camaro - LS7/T56 - Art Morrison Front Suspension/Ridetech Coilovers
      Instagram: @rbreezee88

My Baer setup did the same thing within a couple thousand miles, but only on one side. My shoe was also well worn down though. I am almost positive that I never drove with the parking brake on, so I am not sure why it happened. Sorry I am no help.
      67 Ford Galaxie
      5.0 coyote engine, 2650 supercharger, T56 magnum, 9" truetrac
      68 Camaro RS vert
      LS3/T56 magnum, 9 inch, Ridetech F/R, Baer brakes
      74 BMW 2002 Tii

Good to know. One side is defiantly worse than the other. I am trying one last time before ditching the setup. I installed a park brake warning LED in my dash and I'm trying a different brand of park brake shoe. Hopefully this helps.

Another thing to mention is that I ran this setup with a different rotor before, and don't remember having this issue.
      1969 Camaro - LS7/T56 - Art Morrison Front Suspension/Ridetech Coilovers
      Instagram: @rbreezee88

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com