Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 70 Camaro Build

70 Camaro Build

Ive been looking for a clean 2nd get Camaro for a long time and finally found one to start building into my dream car. Its a 1970 1 owner out of GA with 93,000 miles on it. The car had a repaint 15 years ago after the pass quarter was damaged. Other than that the car is bone stock and untouched. Almost made me leery of a complete tear down. I don't plan on anything that hasn't been done 100 times already but I have a LS3 with a 6spd for it already and full DSE suspension will be utilized. Big brakes and Forgeline wheels. Haven't decided on color or what level of change the interior will go thru but I have plenty of time for that.

I unloaded it Mon evening and pulled it into my shop.
      Name:  G0ORV1q9SKKCMlwnE39f3g.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  249.3 KBName:  Fvyhf5sRSWKI4SUKV7o%CA.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  276.0 KBName:  NQV0FCJCQ2mJ95TabAIlgg.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  222.8 KBName:  3fF0qBNYSTeN+%Ia+H3Rxg.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  214.6 KB

By Tuesday I already had the car looking far better than it ever has. I love the lines on these cars.
      Name:  WbR1T1IcSoaynK4Dx069WQ.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  245.8 KB

By Thursday I had the car blown apart and could see what I was working with. The only rust is around the front and rear windows and it is very little.
      Name:  qbn6UZHhST2zQiFYcVhqMA.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  242.7 KBName:  G6Rn9xQcSQCWUrDA30j2BQ.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  262.6 KB

So now the plan is to get the car blasted and in primer so I can start doing the body mods. I have the DSE mini tubs on the way so Ill start there. Going to be slow going from here but Ill add to the post as I go. Thanks for any input.

Country Flag: United States
      Nice body to start with! I was in your spot a year ago but mine ended up being pretty bad when I got into the body. I went similar way with full DSE underneath. Check out my build post and if you have any questions about parts, installatiin or anything feel free to hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
      Nice body to start with! I was in your spot a year ago but mine ended up being pretty bad when I got into the body. I went similar way with full DSE underneath. Check out my build post and if you have any questions about parts, installatiin or anything feel free to hit me up.
      Thanks man. I looked over your build thread earlier. Saw that you’ve done quite a bit of metal work. You seem to be at the fun stage now, getting to order all the cool parts.

Welcome to PT Wow nice car and great shop! That is super clean. Subscribed to watch this!!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I am working on a 70 as well, that is a very nice find, the only metalwork that you'll have to do is the stuff that you want to do,unlike most of us that start out with cars that need quarters, floors, fenders and floors. If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you, ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
      I am working on a 70 as well, that is a very nice find, the only metalwork that you'll have to do is the stuff that you want to do,unlike most of us that start out with cars that need quarters, floors, fenders and floors. If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you, ballpark?
      I had to give 16k. Felt like a bit much but I’ve been looking for about 6 years and after seeing the work a lot of ppl have to do I may be in the money. Figure spend it now or spend it later.

absolutely worth the money , good choice, metal is very time consuming , you can get right to the build now

Quote Originally Posted by txexpress View Post
      I had to give 16k. Felt like a bit much but I’ve been looking for about 6 years and after seeing the work a lot of ppl have to do I may be in the money. Figure spend it now or spend it later.
      A lesson a lot of us learn the hard way!!!!!!
      Wayne

Absolutely, I’m starting with a solid car if I do another

I found a original RS front assembly for the car. Really didn't want to go with the repop one and fight to get it fit correctly.
      ATTACH=CONFIG]149756[/ATTACH]Name:  IMG_5751.jpeg
Views: 1157
Size:  142.9 KBName:  IMG_5762.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  176.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This hurts. I am suppose to be building my 1970 Camaro. My friend lost his shop and I had to put it in storage. I purchased so many parts for it, ridetech everything, LS7, roll cage, mini tub kit, bla bla bla and now it's put away for a long time. I have stolen the T56 and the Wilwood brake kit for my 1976 Laguna project. I have thought about selling the Camaro project all together. I hope your project goes like you want it to go. Your car looks nice. Good luck.

so thats who that front end went to! i seen it for sale on IG! nice pick up looks pretty mint!

What did that front end cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by broken1234 View Post
      What did that front end cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
      I traded some interior parts and my front end plus $1,500.

I had a bit of a dilema come up on my motor choices. One of my good customers made me a smoking deal on a GMPP Aniversary ZL1 motor. Only 427 of them were made at a cost of $25,000 each. I didn't give anywhere close to that, but it was still pricey. I debated for about a week on if I should put it in the Camaro and save the LS3 for my 71 C10. But at the end of the day thats not my vision for this car. Got the heads back from TSP and started going back together with the LS3 for it to sit on the stand and look good for the next couple of years. A few bits are off at powdercoat now. I also settled on a name for the build and snatched the plate up.

Got the car blasted last week. Very little new rust showed up. A little in the pass side 1/4 panel and at the bottom rear of front fenders. I got it back in epoxy and will be sending it to the body shop next month to start the metal work for the rust repair. The passenger side door had some old bodywork that will probably require a new door skin.
      Name:  0aKmtybaQnKTe9da6ywoug.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  289.1 KBName:  iWjb6TWkQMWjmWOAe0gIbA.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  274.1 KBName:  Dd0RtUn8QjyItUwvXt0CYQ.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  197.9 KB

Here's a updated pic of the 427 going in the 71 C10 and the LS3 all put back together. Ill powder coat a few items after final assembly.
      Name:  AkR3puoMQOC3ROqk3CfM5A.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  236.6 KB

Nice
      Wayne

Got the 427 all finished in the C10 now its time to make progress on the Camaro.

Car has been untouched for a while waiting on the bodyshop to be ready for it. Taking it to Vastine's Paint Garage to have the 1st round of metalwork done then it comes back home for fab. I got my Ring Bros door and hood hinges in last week and ordered the DSE front subframe this week. Starting to move in the right way.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com