Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Respirator Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good respirator for weekend projects? I've been using a Lowes respirator, but last weekend I was spraying some Eastwood chassis black and the odor was pretty strong. I kept adjusting the mask but never got it to improve, and afterwards I had the paint collected around my nose where the mask was obviously leaking. There's not much point in wearing a respirator if it doesn't do its job.

Anyway, just curious about what everyone uses.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Country Flag: United States
      I use a Norton 3/4 silicone mask with replaceable carbon cartridges.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Scary thing is I read a thread on this very subject and came to the conclusion for me only a fresh air system would work. The cartridges are only good for a very short time and for a hobbyist who starts and stops and then a few days later starts again that is a problem. These new paints have some VERY scary things in them and are absorbed through the skin, mucous membranes and lungs. I have maintain a medical to work and simply want a long healthy retirement. Do your research and do what is right for you.

As a training instructor for PPG, I cover health and safety for about 30 minutes at the start of every class. This is a very important topic for sure.

First and foremost with any mask is fit. If you have any facial hair, OSHA and EPA says you can not wear anything other than a full face mask as the smaller masks won't seal against the face. At our training center we use filtered air and have full face hoods. We have to have our air tested twice a year to make sure we are providing Grade D breathable air. The 3M PAPR unit does the same thing, as do others. 3M doesn't list a specific time on their disposable masks other than to say change out roughly every week. It is all based on usage.

While everything in a paint system is dangerous, the most is Isocynites. They are found in the hardeners. Iso's are moisture cured, so keep in mind that we are made up of roughly 70% water in our bodies. So a good mask, gloves, a full spray suit etc etc. is all important part of the safety. I know far too many people that have had t leave the trade because of Iso poisoning.

In the end, if you are a hobbiest, get a good disposable mask from a paint supply house. Make sure it fits very well. When not in use put it in a zip lock bag or a tupperware container.

God luck.

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

This is the first thing I think about every time I read a thread where someone is doing their own body work. I'm pretty sure I'm over-analyzing the situation, but I've yet to get comfortable with the idea of spraying my own car. For that matter, I'm not even sure I like the idea of using rattle can primer/paint. I realize that occupational exposure is going to be much, much, higher than someone that builds a few cars in their lifetime. But I'd rather something besides paint be the thing that takes me out at the end of it
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Am I wrong in assuming that the discussion to date is inside (whether it be booth, garage, etc)? Everything I've done so far has been outside using a Single Stage Urethane. Haven't done a whole car but a pickup cab. Certainly other things come into play outside but as far as a respirator is concerned I've only used a mask with VOC cartridges and gloves and no body suit. Being outside not sure if a self-contained unit is necessary/required - what do you think?
      -Bob (66 Nova)

Chemical exposure is one of those things that build up in you from repeated exposures. While you may learn to tolerate the smells, your body eventually does the opposite & will start letting you know things aren't cool. While lungs being affected is the first thought of concerns, if you feel your guts or even your nuts strangely hurting later, possibly not till the following day, you've went to far with exposure & better guard yourself better from their on. If you're tasting your product's fumes when painting, time for new/ & or better filters/ mask before further proceeding. Drinking milk after exposure is an old home remedy, not sure how valid it's benefits are.

So do you need a fancy suit & all the full gear for a few home projects. Not really, but be smart about what you do. Ventilation itself is a huge factor. I used to help a finisher that did doors & cabinets with lacquers , alklyds, on up to acrylics pretty similar to automotive clears. his ventilation system was so strong with I think 2 approx. 6' commercial wallfans a few rooms over that didn't let the overspray from good quality guns linger at all. Never wore a mask there, never felt ill effects from uncommonly strong setyp.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com