Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1966 Mustang Coupe build

Bought this car about 6 months ago, getting the metal work done first with new quarter panels, trunk flooring, outer rocker, and wheel tubs. Car is an original A code, but did not come with a motor so it will be getting a transplant. Name:  5CD8AEA4-BD5B-4B20-8BE9-2F5D02E49561.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  154.8 KBName:  A91CDA9E-BD56-4469-9402-999F4512AC3D.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  196.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: Australia
      Good Start

Cool to see another stang!

1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Hoping to have this car fully built, including paint and interior in the next two years. We all know how that ends up. So far I have a 1995 5.0 and 1993 5 speed for it, and looking into ridetech streetgrip suspension. I have acquired an original 1966 mustang k code 9” rear end for it. I am interested in the ridetech streetgrip suspension, if anyone has used this setup let me know what you think. Thank you

You lucked out finding a 9" that bolts in! I looked for years for one for my '66 and eventually bought one for a later year I'll need to modify.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcwstang View Post
      Hoping to have this car fully built, including paint and interior in the next two years. We all know how that ends up. So far I have a 1995 5.0 and 1993 5 speed for it, and looking into ridetech streetgrip suspension. I have acquired an original 1966 mustang k code 9” rear end for it. I am interested in the ridetech streetgrip suspension, if anyone has used this setup let me know what you think. Thank you
      I am just finishing up a 5.0/t-5 in my 66.

Look into Mike Maier Inc or streetortrack for suspension! Their business' are based around early mustang suspension
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

I have done three (previous) "complete" project cars. None of them have ever ended close to my initial schedule. My 2 cents- Work at a comfortable pace and don't rush. Deadlines lead to frustration, frustration leads to mistakes or poor execution. Good luck. Looking forward to progress updates.

Thanks everyone for the info. I have built and worked on a ton of these mustangs for other people, but now that it’s for my car it’s time to step it up to another level. Original plan was to put a Detroit Speed mini tub kit in it, but I cannot find a 4 link or 3 link kit I like that works with mini tubs, unless modified.

Hi Gcwstang
      I fitted the Detroit speed tubs with a Chassis Works G-Link rear.
      I didn’t cut the rails just trimmed the boot floor to the rails. I managed to fit 305 rear tyres underneath without flaring the arches.
      Love your build
      Craig

Look at Mustangs to Fear! Not only do they have Mini Tubs but they now make their own 4 link kit with rear thats vicious. Its expensive but all their parts are top quality. Here is there Rear end http://forum.mustangstofear.com/view...php?f=9&t=2524

Thanks everyone for the info. I have built and worked on a ton of these mustangs for other people, but now that it’s for my car it’s time to step it up to another level. Original plan was to put a Detroit Speed mini tub kit in it, but I cannot find a 4 link or 3 link kit I like that works with mini tubs, unless modified.
      I am running Mini tubs and Skinny leaf springs and its netting me the same space as a 4 link. Im running a 275 tire with room to spare.
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Thanks everyone for the information, I’ll will do some more research and continue to post progress as it comes.

Body back in one piece

Had all of the rear sheetmetal replaced from poor work being previously done to it. It’s all clean and better then factory, thanks to a lot of help.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Had all of the rear sheetmetal replaced from poor work being previously done to it. It’s all clean and better then factory, thanks to a lot of help.
      Great to see another Mustang Coupe. Love the shape.
      I installed the Detroit Speed mini tubs (great piece of kit) and only trimmed to the boot floor to the rails. My suspension is a Chassis Works kit. I had the axle made to fit and a nice 305 sits under with no rolling of the arch lip.

Wow! That looks like a lot of work! With the amount of metal work to just fix all the rust I'm sure you can make any of the top rear end kits easily fit. I believe the TCI Engineering torque arm can fit mini tubs. I know they do on the F bodys and the TCI 67 Mustang I recent drove was running 335's in the back.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

I have the TCi torque arm on my ‘65 and with mini tubs and a rolled fender lip I’ve test fit 18x10s with a 315 and had plenty of clearance. Just FYI.
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com