Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Autocross Events....Money?

So it seems there are not as many events in Las Vegas I would like to see....When folks put these events on like optima, are they making money off of these? Seems all the events I go to, the staff is usually motivated volunteers and the hamburgers are $20. I was thinking maybe I could get in contact with the LVMS and set something up?

Thoughts from folks who have done this before.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Do you have any clue what is costs to rent a facility like LVMS?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Do you have any clue what is costs to rent a facility like LVMS?
      Not a clue lol...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Yeah I didn't think so.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Enlighten me...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Site costs can run from $1500 to $2500, or more. I'm sure LVMS is considerably more. Insurance is another grand, then you have to find some one with the 200 plus cones and timing equipment and their costs. Check with the local SCCA club, it may be an easier way to get seat time than run your own event.

and that's why sponsors are such a critical part of racing. When I was volunteering for OUSCI the sponsors were plentiful, the vendors were many, and the driver participation was high; typically sold out. I noticed the last year or three, the vendors are backing away, the primary sponsors are constantly changing, and the high profile drivers are fewer. . . .thus the number or events went from 12, to 9, down to 8 this year.

OUSCI stopped running in norcal, so driving 8-12 hrs all the way to L.A. or LV isn't wise. Local SCCA is a great alternative, I've put all my effort into the three local org's here, and its been amazing! First race is next weekend.

As for LV, here is your SCCA schedule. . . check it out https://www.lvrscca.org/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Enlighten me...
      Sebring is over $20,000 a day

When we did the Peach State Musclecar Challenge from 2009-2011 , we looked into renting Road Atlanta. The cost was $16,000 per day , Two day minimum .( That's $32,000 ). So, if we had 80 cars, that's $400 each for a two day event. That's not really a bad price for lots of track time on a huge road course, but we couldn't get 80 people to commit. We also could of used a couple of corporate sponsors, but they had their money invested elsewhere . I don't want to discourage anyone from doing events, heck, That's what made this site, but big racetracks are expensive to rent . I'd say Go For It ! Host an event !
      Come to think of it , you were talking about Autocross Events, not necessarily road course , so you don't need a big expensive roadrace track , a big open parking lot with no light poles will do.
      Last edited by JEFFTATE; 02-26-2018 at 07:50 AM.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFTATE View Post
      When we did the Peach State Musclecar Challenge from 2009-2011 , we looked into renting Road Atlanta. The cost was $16,000 per day , Two day minimum .( That's $32,000 ). So, if we had 80 cars, that's $400 each for a two day event. That's not really a bad price for lots of track time on a huge road course, but we couldn't get 80 people to commit. We also could of used a couple of corporate sponsors, but they had their money invested elsewhere . I don't want to discourage anyone from doing events, heck, That's what made this site, but big racetracks are expensive to rent . I'd say Go For It ! Host an event !
      Come to think of it , you were talking about Autocross Events, not necessarily road course , so you don't need a big expensive roadrace track , a big open parking lot with no light poles will do.
      Did that Quote include Ambulance, Tow Trucks & Corner Workers?

The best bang-for-the-buck for seat time is usually a local club that organizes track days. In So Cal there are 3-4 solid choices that are regulars at the bigger tracks where 100 minutes of burning gas tires and oil costs about $120.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Dominion Raceway in Virginia has several options to get on track that start at ~$100 for 60 minutes of track time.

A local sports car club (not SCCA) has auto-x and auto-x practice days that are ~$30. I love the practice days because I'll get dozens of runs instead of six.

I once ran the numbers on doing an auto-x and I cannot believe that anyone pursues it. Although, I am very thankful that they do.

SCCA is your best bet for affordable racing, and depending on where you are is more easily accessible. For example, in AZ if you are willing to drive from Phoenix to Tucson you can go to an autox nearly every weekend.

Also, the SCCA events are usually run pretty well, you can get 6-8 runs per driver for your $30 entry fee. And you'll have a good time, and not risk your car since they're usually run in places with big open areas. Not like GoodGuys events, I'll never run one of those. Too many concrete barriers too close to the track, there's always a car that hits the wall.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

I run a small road course track day about twice a year, and it can be a real headache to manage. Even with a cheaper track and insurance its still hard to get people to commit. If you don't believe me check out all the response I get in my track day thread.

I work for Dominion Raceway road course in a number of capacities ranging from corner marshal to on-track recovery to driving instructor and occasionally timing & scoring. I can tell you there is a lot more to organizing and running an event than the average participant ever sees. It is tough to make money promoting an event but there are numerous opportunities to loose money if you don't know what you're doing. There are generally a lot of opportunities to get on track at reasonable prices you just need to look at the local event schedules.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

It is tough to make money promoting an event but there are numerous opportunities to loose money if you don't know what you're doing.
      I agree here....I wasn't in the money circle when the optima series started but Jimi was up front with us because we were 1 of the 15 cars that moved from event to event to promote it, and by the end of the year he had lost money on all 10 events, we all talked about what the break even number was and on year 2 we all pitched in harder...on TV you see Trackside Suzy at many early events and she gave up 6 months free, she made no money and spent her savings, and traveled around to each event promoting with SCCA and track day events to raise attendance, we practically went broke, but with a new number of sponsors and more cars at the event, year 2 was a break even, we stepped away on year 3 to recoup and came back to run event on year 4-5 and into the future, most think , you just show up and it all just happens, we spent months on the off season meeting with sponsors, make TV package deals, many worked many didn't, but you can loose your ass if you want something to happen

I work for Dominion Raceway road course in a number of capacities ranging from corner marshal to on-track recovery to driving instructor and occasionally timing & scoring. I can tell you there is a lot more to organizing and running an event than the average participant ever sees. It is tough to make money promoting an event but there are numerous opportunities to loose money if you don't know what you're doing. There are generally a lot of opportunities to get on track at reasonable prices you just need to look at the local event schedules.
      As Someone that has been a Right Seat Instructor, Classroom Instructor, Timing & Scoring Adm, Starter at Major events, everything Steve said it spot-on.

I worked 28 Years for Skip Barber and it was sad to see the Company go Bankrupt, but a lot of that was to incompetent Management and sucking money out of it towards the end much to the detriment of Employees, Instructors, and Race Tracks. I'm glad that the name (and a bunch of cars) were bought by Bertil Roos and he is bringing the Skip Barber name back.

I had not heard that Bertil Roos had purchased Skip Barber. We have Bertil Roos coming to DR again in June. Always a great bunch!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

The cost versus track time versus competition is exactly why I got into Vintage Racing over 20+ years ago.

Once you get a Vintage Motorsports Council recognized Competition License you can race almost anywhere across the USA with real wheel to wheel racing as long as your vehicle meets the rules for the class you wish to run. You will get hours of track time all for about a $400-$500 entry fee for the weekend. Throw another $150-$200 and you can race the Enduro race which NOW can be from 1 hour to 24 hours. Trust me. A 3 hour Enduro at Sebring all you can handle!

Yes Vintage Racing is about racing Vintage Cars however look at the PT movement. Parking lot racing Vintage Cars. There are also classes now for the newer retired race cars or build one yourself for the class you want.

There are LOT'S of alternative's to track events and autocross. Chump Racing, Lemon's racing and it's all wheel to wheel racing that's so much fun with great competition. Once you run real Wheel to Wheel racing it's REALLY HARD to go back and do daily track events or autocross.

The Thrill is GONE for those types of events!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I had not heard that Bertil Roos had purchased Skip Barber. We have Bertil Roos coming to DR again in June. Always a great bunch!
      It's a bit complicated - Bertil Roos bought all the Formula Cars and they were rebuilt and sent to Palm Beach - I believe they thought that they bought the name, but did not. I do think there is a connection between Roos and the "New" Skip Barber

https://racenow.com/bertil-roos-welc...l-instructors/

There is another Spin-Off Group is LevelUp

http://levelupracingschool.com/#speakers

and then there is Skip Barber Racing School which just started up with Ford Mustangs mostly at New Jersey Motorsports Park

http://skipbarber.com/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com