Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro Hood Inner Structure

Hey guys I have a ram air hood I think it’s the 2inch version, installed LSA and ofcourse now the hood doesn’t close with the engine cover on. With engine cover off everything clears. Anyway I cut some inner structure out to look somewhat stock and esthetically appealing but it’s not enough so now I’m thinking to cut the whole inner structure out around the perimeter then weld in the gaps. I drew a line in the pic where the cut will be. Do you guys think the hood will be flimsy? I’m thinking it will be ok becaus the whole inner structure is designed to incorporate fresh air.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by andrewb70; 02-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Country Flag: United States
      My guess is that the hood will not get flimsy...I also think a LSA looks better without the covers, so if it was me, I would keep the hood intact and ditch the engine cover.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Interesting, I have not heard of anyone having clearance issues ?? What engine mounts did you use just curious ?? As far as the hood goes, doesn't the inner structure support the hood skin ??? I think it does.

That is a lot of structure you are proposing to cut out. I would think that if it was not important to the overall structure of the hood that GM would not have included all that structural reinforcements in the design of the hood. As Andrew said given the choice of cutting the hood or retaining the engine covers I would ditch the covers.

I don't know, but I would think by the way the inner structure is made it is there for stability. I don't know, but I am wondering if the engine could be set lower in the mounts? How much does it like fitting? My thinking is that the hood would not be supported well enough if that much inner structure gone. Just my .02 worth...

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I think the hood will flutter without the structure. The skin is bonded to it.

Don

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Text me at 9728148824 and I'll show you the understood of a 69 camaro that is heavily modded

I have seen a hood where the bonded inner structure was removed and it was not pretty. So much so that the hood would not even latch because there was so much flex.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Just saw the picture alittle more clearer. Yea you are cutting far too much metal away

I’m using a Chassisworks frame with their engine mounts. They are the only engine mounts that fit in the frame. At this point it’s hitting the raised cut out portion in the inner structure holes. Maybe I cm just cut out the raised portion? But how do I make the whole thing look nice? I’m also thinking that I can just put some fiberglass if it becomes too flimsy. It should look like this. I think this company the hood is steel with fiberglass in the middle.

Name:  D03AF553-0659-4587-AA6C-DE1C078B1B75.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  9.4 KB

Forgot to take a pic. I will send you one this week.

Before i would cut all of that up i would be checking out my engine mounts. Any pic of where its hitting? The underside of my buddies looks like the first pic you posted. I just dont see why you are having so many issues fitting the engine in the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      That is a Ring Brothers Razor hood. I’m using the same hood. I’ve test fit it with my LSA but not with the engine cover. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Name:  450371B5-3AD8-454E-9B39-31F2CAE07208.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  338.1 KB

Currently those 2 areas is where it’s touching. I can close the hood but obviously would rub when engine on and vibrating. If anyone uses that razor hood you will have no problems.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com