Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Brake pedal height

Wierd question for you guys. I converted my 1985 olds to a manual trans. The clutch pedal and gas pedal are significantly higher than the brake pedal. I want to raise the brake pedal up for safety reasons as it's easy to hit the gas when reaching for the brakes. My plan is to cut and extend the booster linkage. Does anyone think this will cause any issues, or have any other suggestions to raise the pedal?

Are you certain you have the right pushrod for the master cylinder?

Do you have a power booster? If not, some manual brake master cylinders have a deeper hole in the piston and require a longer pushrod.

I would first check to see if you have mismatched parts before modifying yours. You may find something obvious. Also, check the health of your braking components. Maybe there is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cornfedbill View Post
      Are you certain you have the right pushrod for the master cylinder?

Do you have a power booster? If not, some manual brake master cylinders have a deeper hole in the piston and require a longer pushrod.

I would first check to see if you have mismatched parts before modifying yours. You may find something obvious. Also, check the health of your braking components. Maybe there is another issue.

Im pretty sure the correct parts are in there, I've run this setup for awhile and it works well. The issue lies with the other parts just changing the environment around the pedal. I neglected to mention that the gas pedal is high from the ls swap and the range of motion of the throttle body. The brake pedal is at factory height. Thank you for response though.

Is there any issue with extending the booster linkage? If so, is there a better way to go about it?

Have you screwed the clevis further out on the rod? They sell rod extensions if you need one.

I have the opposite problem as you- my brake pedal is too high and I need to screw the clevis down the rod a bit to see if it will move it down enough but I think the rod is too long and not enough adjustment to fix my height issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LSx442 View Post
      Have you screwed the clevis further out on the rod? They sell rod extensions if you need one.

I have the opposite problem as you- my brake pedal is too high and I need to screw the clevis down the rod a bit to see if it will move it down enough but I think the rod is too long and not enough adjustment to fix my height issue.
      My booster is not adjustable I'm trying to find one now with no luck

Isn't there a rubber stop on the brake pedal support bracket ? you can only go so high and the pedal will hit the rubber stop. Your pedal should be close to the rubber stop if not on it. How did you adjust your brake light switch ?? A pic of your pedals would help.

Quote Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
      Isn't there a rubber stop on the brake pedal support bracket ? you can only go so high and the pedal will hit the rubber stop. Your pedal should be close to the rubber stop if not on it. How did you adjust your brake light switch ?? A pic of your pedals would help.
      There is no stop on the bracket, it would just hit the bracket. It does have a good amount to move up though. Brake light switch get adjusted by the threaded switch body which has a tooth that catches it. I don't have any pictures of the pedals right now and can't take any until march.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      There is no stop on the bracket, it would just hit the bracket. It does have a good amount to move up though. Brake light switch get adjusted by the threaded switch body which has a tooth that catches it. I don't have any pictures of the pedals right now and can't take any until march.
      LOL, I know how to adjust the switch. I was asking because I got the impression your pedal was so low that the brake light switch may of not contacted the pedal. You have to try and adjust the clevis rod than to raise the pedal.

LOL, I know how to adjust the switch. I was asking because I got the impression your pedal was so low that the brake light switch may of not contacted the pedal. You have to try and adjust the clevis rod than to raise the pedal.

Got it, sorry. There is no clevis. G body's have no adjustability on the pedal height. That's what I'm asking, will it caused an issue if I add a new threaded section or weld in an extension.

Got it, sorry. There is no clevis. G body's have no adjustability on the pedal height. That's what I'm asking, will it caused an issue if I add a new threaded section or weld in an extension.
      Hmmm, my buddy has 6 GTO's, I just went over to his garage, they ALL have the clevis rod. Wouldn't a GTO be the same as a Cutlass ?? Here is a pic of my 69 Camaro drum brake car clevis/rod. (just for reference) I would think there should be some sort of adjustment rod.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm, my buddy has 6 GTO's, I just went over to his garage, they ALL have the clevis rod. Wouldn't a GTO be the same as a Cutlass ?? Here is a pic of my 69 Camaro drum brake car clevis/rod. (just for reference) I would think there should be some sort of adjustment rod.
      Gto is not the same as a cutlass in the g body configuration. Maybe the same as the A body? I have had the booster and master off several times, and there is no adjustment. Also researched and there is no adjustment. Here is what a g body linkage looks like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=g+bo...3IDo_JJ33Bw6M:

Ahhh, I'm no help than.

Ahhh, I'm no help than.
      Thanks for trying though. I'm sure I will figure something out

Thanks for trying though. I'm sure I will figure something out
      Have you thought about making a aluminum or steel block that bolts to the pedal pad itself to raise the pedal pad to the height you want and leave linkage alone. Just a thought, I have done the very thing to move an accelerator pedal pad on a couple cars.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com