Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Oil pan

Oil pan

I'm looking for an oil pan for my LS3. I was just about ready to get the Holley 302-1 but then came across the Mast 401-111. The pan dimensions would work good with either pan for my chassis. They are priced about the same. The Mast pan has a cast in baffle. You have to buy a $200 baffle for the Holley pan. I'm building a street car that could be capable of racing, not a purpose built race car. So I was leaning towards the Mast. Then I noticed it does not have the threaded bolt holes that bolt to the transmission. How critical are those 2 bolts? I am using a QuickTime bellhousing. Any other pros or cons? Thanks.

What car is this going in? I don't have any experience with the Mast pan, but I do have a 302-2 on my LS2. If crossmember clearance is an issue and/or you have a rear-steer front suspecting, the Holley pans are hard to beat. My 302-2 came with a simple bolt in baffle, but I have a feeling you're referring to something more complex.

Sorry I can't answer your actual question.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
      What car is this going in? I don't have any experience with the Mast pan, but I do have a 302-2 on my LS2. If crossmember clearance is an issue and/or you have a rear-steer front suspecting, the Holley pans are hard to beat. My 302-2 came with a simple bolt in baffle, but I have a feeling you're referring to something more complex.

Sorry I can't answer your actual question.
      It’s going in a 55 Chevy with a Morrison chassis. Any of the Holley pans and the Mast pan should fit just fine. I like the Holley pan but it’s hard to justify adding a $200 baffle for it. Maybe I don’t need the baffle? That’s why I like the Mast pan because it has a simple baffle cast into the sump. But I worry about it not having the bolts for the transmission to bolt to.

Country Flag: United States
      I run the Mast pan, it's a really nice unit and as far as I was aware it has better clearance of rear steer setups like Art Morrison and Speedtech subframes. The transmission bolts I've never heard of however, my stock LS3 pan never had these

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      I run the Mast pan, it's a really nice unit and as far as I was aware it has better clearance of rear steer setups like Art Morrison and Speedtech subframes. The transmission bolts I've never heard of however, my stock LS3 pan never had these
      My motor came with this same pan. Supposedly the pan is a structural member. As you can see in the picture there is a threaded hole in the pan (lower left in pic) that is for the trans or bell housing. My QuickTime bellhousing bolted right into it. Mast seems to be a reputable company so maybe those bolts aren't necessary?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Art Morrison is not rear steer. Only the older Speedtech is rear steer.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

While not cast aluminum the Autokraft Pan is a nice option. It is the pan I will be using with my Speedtech Pro-Touring Subframe.

http://www.autokraft.org/products/

David

I'd use the MAST because it has the oil filter housing area tapped for -AN fittings that can be used for an oil cooler.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Any reason not to use a stock 99-02 camaro pan? They sell affordable baffles for it.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Any reason not to use a stock 99-02 camaro pan? They sell affordable baffles for it.
      Good point or even the LS2/3 Corvette oil pan #12624617
      http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...ductsearchusen

I had a buddy's 67' Camaro in m y shop with full Morrison GT setup and we switched from a L76, to now a dry sump LS7
      But the original L76 that I built for it had the Vette LS2/3 pan and was told from Morrison, that it fits

A simple call to them will verify fitment

The Vette pan looks pretty good. Can the oil sensor be removed and use a plug instead? Will the stock ls3 crate engine windage tray fit? Is there not a sump baffle cover?

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      The Vette pan looks pretty good. Can the oil sensor be removed and use a plug instead? Will the stock ls3 crate engine windage tray fit? Is there not a sump baffle cover?
      Yes, the sensor can be removed and plugged
      I may have a extra chrome plug, that I use on the engines going into off road sand rails I do
      tray is showing different part#
      Vette #12558189 http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/C...dimensions.php
      LS3 5th Gen Camaro/ crate engine #12611129 http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/2...dimensions.php

The Vette windage tray sells for approx $23-29 (depends on free ship or not)

No additional factory "baffle cover", like on your crate LS3 pan, the Vette pan has cast in oil baffles and pickup is in center of sump

So I probably have OCD and still can't decide which pan to get. In the first picture you can see a LS1 f-body oil pan, the rear depth is 5.32". It looks like it might interfere with the QuickTime 8020 bellhousings lower 2 bolts. So now the Holley 302-1,2,3 are all around 5.5" depth. That would most likely block the bellhousing bolts. Without the bolts the SFI rating of the bellhousing would be gone. Not a major concern for me but still an issue. If the bolts won't fit I'd probably trim the bellhousing flush with the oil pan for cosmetic reasons, like in the second picture. The Mast pan does not bolt to the bellhousing. There would be a gap between the pan and bellhousing allowing the lower two bolts to be used. The concern here is I keep hearing that the oil pan is structural. There are probably enough Mast pans on the road proving it's ok not making that connection but still a concern. Last pan is the C6 Vette, and 4.85" rear depth. That would allow for the lower two bellhousing bolts to install. So all of the pans could work for me but can't decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the Mast or C6 because of the cast in baffles. I should probably just stay off the internet and get to work on the car
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      So I probably have OCD and still can't decide which pan to get. In the first picture you can see a LS1 f-body oil pan, the rear depth is 5.32". It looks like it might interfere with the QuickTime 8020 bellhousings lower 2 bolts. So now the Holley 302-1,2,3 are all around 5.5" depth. That would most likely block the bellhousing bolts. Without the bolts the SFI rating of the bellhousing would be gone. Not a major concern for me but still an issue. If the bolts won't fit I'd probably trim the bellhousing flush with the oil pan for cosmetic reasons, like in the second picture. The Mast pan does not bolt to the bellhousing. There would be a gap between the pan and bellhousing allowing the lower two bolts to be used. The concern here is I keep hearing that the oil pan is structural. There are probably enough Mast pans on the road proving it's ok not making that connection but still a concern. Last pan is the C6 Vette, and 4.85" rear depth. That would allow for the lower two bellhousing bolts to install. So all of the pans could work for me but can't decide which to get. I'm leaning towards the Mast or C6 because of the cast in baffles. I should probably just stay off the internet and get to work on the car
      Yep, you are defenitely over thinking this
      The “ structral” part on the pan, isnt a concern, or all aftermarket pans would have those provisions to bolt them to bellhousing
      I have used Mast pans a few tomes before and on my personal 68 w/Ls2, I just fabbed a block off plate for that lower area to seal off bellhousing and it actually using those two lower bellhousing bolt holes to mount

We run mostly stock GM pans in our off road cars and with the transaxles we use, there are no provisions to bolt bellhousing to oil pan, in either a VW or Chevy bellhousing
      Average sand rails are running 500-1100 hp and being driven hard off road, with no issues

Hope this helps
      Jeff

Just ordered the Mast pan.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com