Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fuel pump collision safety - what are you LS guys using?

Just curious what method you guys are using to kill your fuel pumps in the event of a collision? does the GMPP computer kill the engine on loss of oil pressure? do I need to add an inertia switch? My wiring harness made it so easy to hook the fuel pump up that I feel like I am missing something here.

Cheers.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

I installed the basic Ford inertia switch that you can find in the trunk of Fox bodies and in Exploders at the junk yard. Since they fit in your pocket, all you need is a screwdriver. You can also find them on eBay for cheap. The unit is cheap insurance . . . and they work. I think it's the only Ford part on my car . . .

AC Delco

I used a ACDelco D1876D fuel pump Safety Shut-Off Switch. Check it out on Ebay. Just did it cause I Works as far as I know, I have not hit anything or rolled it over, and the motor still runs. Easy enough install for peace of mind, or just in case. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/838AA...Ek/s-l1600.jpg.

Country Flag: United States
      The GM ECM's have built in safety features. Basically, if the engine stops running, the fuel system shuts down. It resets once the ECM senses engine rotation.

I don't believe the current versions of production vehicles use the inertia switch.

The Ford Racing Coyote Engine control systems (crate engine controller) turns off the safety system for some reason.

If the car does not have an ECM controlled safety system (electric pump carbureted vehicles for example) the vaporworx Intelligent Relay Control or Intelligent Power Centers may be a good option. Similar to OE-based RPM strategies, a three-second prime cycle, off when engine off, override, and other helpful features are used to give modern functionality combined with a much safer operation than a simple IGN function.

Please excuse the photos. The web designer/editor (me) needs to get the production guy (me) to allow management (me) to get the janitor (me) to update with better content. https://www.vaporworx.com/product-ca...ntrol-systems/
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Engines have been known to continue running after wrecks or roll overs. I would use a Inertia switch personally.

I have not been upside down with an LS but every time I have been wheel ups I had to turn the vehicle off myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixr320 View Post
      Engines have been known to continue running after wrecks or roll overs. I would use a Inertia switch personally.
      what if you make it all the way around and want to keep racing?

if the GM computer has a shutoff built in that makes me feel better, and that's the answer I was looking for. I don't want to continue pumping gas if there is a break in the line. I still may decide to add an inertia switch. but this makes me wonder if It would be best wired to the ignition. so everything shuts off. Probably wouldn't gain much that way, just a thought.

thanks everyone for your expertise.
      Zach

I put a Ford inertia switch on my Hemi, pretty simple way to add some level of protection. It kills my fuel pump, injectors and coils..
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      what if you make it all the way around and want to keep racing?

if the GM computer has a shutoff built in that makes me feel better, and that's the answer I was looking for. I don't want to continue pumping gas if there is a break in the line. I still may decide to add an inertia switch. but this makes me wonder if It would be best wired to the ignition. so everything shuts off. Probably wouldn't gain much that way, just a thought.

thanks everyone for your expertise.
      I made it back wheels down once in a race and continued on to podium. I felt like the biggest badass ever! Mostly just luckiest ever though.

I used this:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...s.asp?RecID=87

I mounted it to the support bracket of the trunk latch and ran the couple of wires down the support. It's easy to see and get to, and I can smack it with my hand to confirm that it's working.
      Bryan (a.k.a. Carbuff)

70 Camaro RS Hunk'o'Metal - Previous Project
      71 Firebird Project T.O.W. - New Project

Mount the Inertia switch to where you can reach it without getting out of the seat if it will be a track car.

How does the ACDelco D1876D switch work? Is it an inertia switch? I never gave this matter any thought till recently and now I need to get something installed. I found the ACDelco switch on ebay but where can I find information on the proper way to install it?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

It is an inertia switch and roll over switch. You need to mount it to something solid inside the car.... you can turn it upside down and hear it switch, and if you shake it really hard you can hear it switch. I hit a pretty big bump the other day and it was not affected. I don't want to find out what it takes to make it shut the car down. I just hope I never need it.

I recently picked up a ford inertia switch for another car that I am working on (that has the old ford EFI). $15 shipped from Ebay with plug, and mounting screws. you have to hit it pretty hard to get it to trip. Makes sense. My truck has the same switch in it, and I've never tripped it, and that thing has been airborne.
      Zach

Can never be too safe, I only rely on the ECM to operate the pump...it works off of Engine rotation not oil pressure. I understand you can get in a collision and the engine could remain running, but if a line is ruptured the engine will die anyway and thus the pump will shut off. Nothings is fool proof and the switch can also fail....if I was going with a interia switch go for the OEM, makes no sense to go get a China special for the safety intent of it.

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com