Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

steering box adjustment

I have a steering box of iroc z 1988 on my firebird 1968. when I make the adjustment with the top bolt, the direction is tight and direct. I like it a lot like that.the problem is that only a few kilometers later (5-10 kilometers) the direction becomes less tight and more blurred in the center. I have made the adjustment a few times in the last years and always the same result. I can not understand why it does not keep the tight fit as I would like. it seems to me that it can not be worn out in such a short time?
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 01-23-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Country Flag: United States
      Tehre is a second adjustment to be made aside from the locknut on top. There is what I think is called a "worm gear preload or thrust bearing preload" adjustment. It is the big hex nut on the input shaft. I followed a procedure on pirate4x4 where he walked through it, and in the end my gearbox was tight and responsive('98 grand jeep cherokee swap). I can't find that link, so here is one that looks like it covers the same thing. PS, it makes all the difference if you have the gear box off the car and on a vise. hope this helps.
      http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/...stments.11794/

thank you for this information jetmech442. I also check this part of the box a few years ago.

Is it getting a loose feel when the system heats up to operating temperature?
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Is it getting a loose feel when the system heats up to operating temperature?

i did not notice any difference to cold or hot

The idler arm and lower ball joints have a large effect on steering play. Have you checked them?
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I do not detect lousse in the components of direction / suspention.
      I focus on the case because every time I tighten a little adjustment of the top, the direction becomes very very correct, which would not be the case if the problem was elsewhere. but each time the direction becomes a little vague after only a few kilometers and I can not explain this situation .....
      thanks for following David.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com