Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

69 Fastback project Ground Zero Build

Hello everyone my name is Jamie, I am project manager for Juan's Auto Body and Customs in Per IL. I thought I would start a build thread on a car we are building. We purchased the car as a stalled build that actually had it start here on pro touring, so we figured the best forum to document the build is right here. The car is a 69 Mustang Fastback we have named "Ground Zero" because it's our first forum build., but hopefully not out last.
      So a little history on the car, we know that it started life as a Mustang GT back in 69, at some point it found it's way to into the hands of a very capable chassis builder and the work began to make this car something very special. A full custom chassis was made and a Chromoly Roll cage was installed, one of the tightest fitting cages I have seen the quality and fabricating skills on this car are top notch which is one reason we purchased the car. My though on the car was that it was going to be a pro touring car, and that is the way we are heading with it. In my opinion there's nothing better than a pro touring car done right and this car was on it's way. At some point the car found it's way into the hands of a lawyer in AZ and never had much done to it because of his busy trial schedule. That gentleman and his wife eventually decided to by and land an build a house so the car was put up for sale, which is when we came in and purchased it. The car had a full TCI pro touring IRS in the front and a sheet metal rear axle in the rear with a triangulated 4 link. The car had new body panels installed and they did a nice job, but there are some places in the rear quarters that need some attention, nothing serious they just put to much heat in the panels when they installed them; we will fix those areas. Here are some pics of how we received the car.

Name:  1969-mustang-fastback-serious-pro-touring-project-50-complete-6.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  36.4 KBName:  1969-mustang-fastback-serious-pro-touring-project-50-complete-9.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  34.0 KBName:  2854.jpeg
Views: 2044
Size:  118.9 KBName:  unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  67.0 KBName:  69 Mustang rear seat area.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  149.6 KB

Glad to see it taking on a new chance at life.
      www.totalcostinvolved.com
      "Quality doesn't cost, it pays"

The first thing we needed to do was to get the car ready for epoxy seal since most of the car was bare steel. We removed all the suspension which will be powder coated and put the car on stands, then applied acid etched every single bare metal part, top and bottom of floors, chassis, roll cage , fire wall etc...any place that had bare metal. We then went back through it and used a solution to remove any film and grease form the acid etch, and finally sealed it with epoxy. This gave a us a military gray finish but insure that no rust would form and that those parts are ready when we paint later.

Name:  IMAG0770.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  94.4 KBName:  IMAG0772.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMAG0774.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  112.8 KBName:  IMAG0775.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  98.0 KBName:  IMAG0779.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  76.1 KB

The first thing we needed to do was to get the car ready for epoxy seal since most of the car was bare steel. We removed all the suspension which will be powder coated and put the car on stands, then applied acid etched every single bare metal part, top and bottom of floors, chassis, roll cage , fire wall etc...any place that had bare metal. We then went back through it and used a solution to remove any film and grease form the acid etch, and finally sealed it with epoxy. This gave a us a military gray finish but insure that no rust would form and that those parts are ready when we paint later.

Name:  IMAG0775.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  102.0 KBName:  IMAG0779.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  76.1 KBName:  IMAG0774.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  112.8 KBName:  IMAG0772.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMAG0770.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  94.4 KB

WOW thats an awesome start on a project

Thanks , We definitely think so as well.

So most of the tin work was done except the front end and engine compartment and the wheel tubs and side trunk panels. This week end we started working on installing the wheel tubs, I have to say I dont really like doing a full set of wheel tubs they can be a pain in the rear end. It takes a lot of cardboard and patients to get it right, so this is how I will be spending most of my weekend and then some. So far so good.
      Name:  IMAG0782.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  125.8 KBName:  IMAG0783.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  92.1 KB

That's clean looking work so far!
      Love the Gen II and III Mustangs.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Thanks Love the classic mustangs too, this is my personal favorite year and body style.

So this week we manger to get the tubs installed in the ground Zero Mustang. The car came to us with a chassis engineering inner tub kit that we fit, bit after doing so we decided that they just were not thick enough for our liking so we fabricated our own. We are very happy we did, as the final result is a much more stable and solid inner fender well. Here are some pics.Name:  IMAG0798.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  162.7 KBName:  IMAG0790.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  91.1 KBName:  IMAG0789.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  83.1 KB

One of the first things we did when we received the car was to remove the TCI pro touring IFS and 4Trinagulaed 4 link rear suspension along with the Moser 9" housing in order ot have them powder coated. Of ourse this mean pressing out all the bushing and prepping them to media blast. We got them back on Wednesday and this weekend worked on reinstalling the bushings and getting them ready to go back in the car when we are ready. They turned out great as you can see.
      We also received the 9" 3rd member this past week and managed to get it installed in the Moser housing. We are running a Yukon Nodular housing, True Trac Posi, and Daytona billet support Yoke along with a set of Moser 31 spline axles. This rear end should handle all we can throw at it an more.
      Next up, is to gte the brakes ordered and installed, and also Fabricate the rear trunk floor side panels and seem seal the entire car.
      Name:  IMAG0802.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  160.1 KBName:  IMAG0803.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  146.1 KBName:  IMAG0804.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  139.8 KBName:  IMAG0807.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  149.7 KBName:  IMAG0805.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  115.5 KBName:  IMAG0799.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  106.1 KB

Just spotted the GM caliper brackets for the front. This car needs a Wilwood BBK something fierce.

-J
      www.totalcostinvolved.com
      "Quality doesn't cost, it pays"

Yes Sir, We just order a full Wilwood setup front and rear from Dave at FabQuest. Should be here any day now.

So the work continues on the Ground Zero 69 Fastback. The tubs are now done and installed, we fab up some side panels for the trunk as well, then seam sealed the entire car which took a load of sealer, but worth ever second of work.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Despite the fact that we wanted to put the fuel cell in the floor of the car, we reluctantly gave into the realization that it has to go in the trunk. There are a number of reasons for this, first the fuel tank hangs down enough to block the view of the beautiful fabricated 9" rear end, second we have plans to run custom center exhaust outlets and the tank would make it impossible to do that. Of course we couldnt just grab a 'off the shelf" fuel cell that would fit right and give us the fuel capacity we want, so we started mocking up a cell. Cardboard is a fabricators best friend, and this gave us a good starting point for what were were going to need. This tank will give is just over 18 gallons, and will house the Fi-Tech Hy fuel pump set up. It also simply by it's shape make sure that the fuel will stay at the rear of the tank where the pump will be located.

We love custom builds because it allows us to use our imaginations and do things the way we would like them. The Ground Zero Mustang even more so since it's our car. We have seen some very impressive fastback builds over the years, and wanted this one to be different and unmistakable. That meant changing some visual features and making them our own. The first place we are starting is the rear tail section. We have decided to remove the very familiar center fuel fill in the rear panel and smooth that center out. We figure there's no point in having it on the tail panel since we have our fuel cell in the trunk and this will no longer be used. We have plan to locate our custom fuel fill elsewhere. Just a simple modification like this can have a big impact on the "attitude" and visual effect of the car. We like it, and should look perfect with the other mods we are planing. Here are a few pics of the section being installed to complete the center panel. More to come later.

The work begins on rear tail lights. Our plans have always been to modernize the Ground Zero Mustang while trying to stay true to it's Mustang heritage. SO for the tail section we are installing a set of Sequential Raxiom 2014 style tail lights. These lights were made to fit the 2009 model mustang but are styled after the 2014. This is important because these tail lights are flat which will allow us to fit them into our 69 tail panel....with some serious modification to the rear bumper, and quarter panel extensions. We like a challenge and this should be fun,the surgery has begun.

We have been trying to finish up a 39 Plymouth restoration for a customer so time spent on the mustang has been limited. I have been working on the S550 Coyote that is going into the car at my home shop. This is my first experience with these motors and have to say, I am impressed with it. Ford really go this motor right. Super easy to work on and extremely well built. Our 2016 only had a few thousand miles on it, and it was evident was I took things apart how clean it was. The first order of business was to change out the stock oil gears and crank sprocket for a set of 4340 Billet ones from MMR. These motors are very capable platforms, but since we are supercharging I wanted to insure that the thing stays together. While I was at it we decided to also install a Moroso racing aluminum oil pan. This pan comes with baffles and trap doors to keep oil were it should be and also provision for a oil return line when running forced induction. I am waiting on a few more Items form MMR before I finish up up and put the froName:  IMAG0953.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  373.8 KBName:  IMAG0950.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  99.3 KBName:  IMAG0951.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  133.5 KBName:  IMAG0952.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  55.8 KBName:  IMAG0966.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  176.6 KBName:  IMAG0968.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  137.3 KBName:  IMAG0970.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  147.4 KBnt cover back on.

More work on the Ground Zero Mustang motor. Installed a nice new SFI fly wheel and ARP fasteners in preparation for the 4R75W trans.
      Do we need it...no, but again why skimp when you can do it now, do it and get it over with.

Nice build! Lots of good stuff going on, that cage design really caught my eye. Nice!
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com