Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 Camaro Vintage air with pro charger

Hello I am building my first 1969 Camaro and putting and Ls3 with a F1 pro charger in the car. I can't find much info on if I can also put a Vintage Air system in the car. I have a Speedtech Extreme subframe up front if that helps. Thank you for any info.

Country Flag: United States
      Im looking for the same thing so great post.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Hopefully we will get some answers I have been told it can’t be done. I was then told it could be done but is difficult with no explanation.

Check out the ride tech 48 all Camaro build they doing at Sema the guys from vintage air are going to be there you can’t do any better than asking it right from the originators
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy03 View Post
      Hello I am building my first 1969 Camaro and putting and Ls3 with a F1 pro charger in the car. I can't find much info on if I can also put a Vintage Air system in the car. I have a Speedtech Extreme subframe up front if that helps. Thank you for any info.
      Are you trying to figure out your accessory mounting and fitment with the Pro Charger, VA and that subframe?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Hopefully we will get some answers I have been told it can’t be done. I was then told it could be done but is difficult with no explanation.
      VA folks told you that? Anything can be done with the right tool/equipment. My friend has a Pontiac 400 with an F1 procharger managed to get VA installed as well with some custom brackets. I know it's not the same engine as an LS3, but proves that with the right people/tools, anything is possible.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

VA did not tell me that but on an LS3 the ac compressor goes on the passenger side up top. That is where the head unit on the procharher also goes. So I’m trying to figure out what brackets to buy and if it even can be done. The 48 Camaro is an ls3 with NO blower, so it wouldn’t help to follow that build. If I did a roots style blower or all motor it would not be an issue but with a procharher F1 it is an issue. Thank you for the responses, keep them coming.

Low mount AC compressor here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Low mount AC compressor here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

Don
      You beat me to it... and here

https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1757

Chris--

VA did not tell me that but on an LS3 the ac compressor goes on the passenger side up top. That is where the head unit on the procharher also goes. So I’m trying to figure out what brackets to buy and if it even can be done. The 48 Camaro is an ls3 with NO blower, so it wouldn’t help to follow that build. If I did a roots style blower or all motor it would not be an issue but with a procharher F1 it is an issue. Thank you for the responses, keep them coming.
      How hard did you look for this solution, because its an easy find....

Chris--

Trust me I’ve looked, that’s why I’m part of these type of forums because you get answers from guys that have done it before and know what works. I’ve always said if you don’t ever ask people that know more than you questions them your an idiot. So having said that, thank you and I’m going to look into the links you all posted.

The difficulty with Pro Chargers is that they pretty much have to occupy the space of one of the engine accessories. Since the alternator is a must on all engines, the AC compressor is the one that's often left out of the Pro Charger bracket setups. On your LS engine, it's relatively easy to separate the compressor from the rest of the accessory drive as that's what the factory did on the cars, mounting the compressor on the lower passenger side of the engine and driving it off its own 4-rib belt. The problem in many early muscle cars is that the frame cross member crashes with the compressor in this location and significant notching and reinforcing is required to clear it. Replacing the factory compressor with a Sanden SD7b10 (7176) will help this issue but will still require frame notching in most applications. Several manufacturers, including Vintage Air, manufacture brackets to mount the 7176 in the factory location. Most stock compressors are variable displacement designs, which are specially tuned for the AC system in their particular production car and aren't compatible with aftermarket AC systems. Depending on which LS engine you're running and the Pro Charger bracket design and belt gauge line, you may be able to use an LSA compressor and bracket from a ZL1 Camaro, which is a fixed displacement compressor. The only problem with running the LSA compressor is it's size, which is quite a bit larger than the 7176.

In my opinion, your best bet is the low-mount 7176. If you'd like, post some photos of your Pro Charger setup so we can have a better idea of the packaging issue. Also feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you integrate the AC system with your blower. Nothing's impossible here, it'll just require some extra effort.

Ryan Zwicker
      Vintage Air, Inc.
      KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

I assume this is the bracket configuration you're using:

Name:  ProCharger_LStransplant-serp-front.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  162.3 KB
      KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

I don’t have the motor in the car as of yet, I’m trying to start the research early so when I get there it’ll be a breeze, hopefully. I do have the speedtech extreme subframe and I will say I don’t want to cut that up at all. I don’t know what front drive excessorie kit I will use or the brackets I need to purchase for it all to work, that’s why I came on here. I know I do want to use a vintage air kit, procharher F1 and the speedtech extreme subframe. So I’ll be sending you a message to see if I can get something to work with the info I have received. I’m starting all from scratch so I’ll be buying everything from vintage air, compressor and all.

Hey guys, this thread is a couple months old but I am doing the very same install. LS3 with F1D ProCharger and the Procharegr accessory mount system. 69 Camaro with AME front subframe. Started off with GM LS compressor then found out not compatible with VA system so switched to Sanden compressor and VA low mount. Have not fitted in car but all measuring suggests it will fitName:  Frontal shot blower.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  196.4 KB

Checked out Restomod Air, The Haymaker II A/C system.

https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...ioning-system/

www.restomodair.com

Update

Were you able to fit this all in the car? AC compressor and the Procharger?

Procharged LS3 in 69 Camaro

As pictured previously on stand everything fit in with no issues

Name:  P1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  98.7 KBName:  P2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  90.5 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com