Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

PT 69 Pontiac Custom S

Just starting a thread to start dumping photos of my project. I'll add some specifics as I go along. Essentially I'm trying to build a solid PT/cruiser for a reasonable price. Not cutting corners but not going too over the top at the same time. As stated in the title its a 1969 Pontiac Custom S which is a trim level between tempests and lemans. it's the perfect platform for a budget minded PT car as its an A body and shares body panels with the GTO but I was able to pick it up as a runner(kinda) for about $2,200 with almost no rust. If you want to follow the build I'm on Instagram as @grantdavidjones67. without further adieu. Her she is when I got her.
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  155.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  281.9 KB

Back in the garage I had to pull the power plant. Aside from looking like he ran over a ninja turtle the previous owner blew some ring lands and pretty much wrecked the transmission. The car did run when I bought it but when I got it home we quickly realized it was not going to be usable without a rebuild.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Once the engine was out I stripped the front clip off and the interior and started treating any rust. Fortunately there was only slight surface rust on the frame and on the floor pans. I also cleaned and under coated the entire bottom of the car since it didn't need any sheetmetal replacement

Once the front of the frame was all cleaned up I replaced the whole front suspension with a mix of parts as that is what was most cost effective. QA1 coilovers that I got here on the forum, big brake kit from right stuff detailing, Grand Cherokee steering box swap, summit brand sway bars, and non branded control arms from eBay with tall ball joint. The control arms may be swapped out but I'll let it ride for a while and see how they hold up.

Rear suspension is once again a mix what what I could get a good deal on, bilstein shocks, Hotchkiss springs, Sphon control arms and once again summit racing sway bar.

Once the suspension and breaking system was all sorted, I found a guy that only built Pontiac engines. I swapped him my busted Pontiac 400 plus $600 for a freshly rebuilt unit that was perfectly tuned on a run stand when I bought it. I backed the engine up with a bowtie overdrives 200-4R

Exhaust system is a Pypes 2.5 stainless system with x pipe.

Once all of that was sorted out and the engine was running it was time to prep for paint which meant months of hand stripping because what I didn't have in money I certainly had in time.

That brings us up to current, it's in the paint shop and getting ready for some color. Only small amounts of sheetmetal had to be replaced. Not because of rust necessarily but the lower rear quarters had Been beaten up something fierce and it was faster to replace than repair. You'll see the color I'm going with is a GM Cyber Grey metallic.

Here's the cyber grey

Nice color! The car is looking good, I like those wheels.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Wow the body looks like it was in great shape, nice job so far.
      My first car was a 69 Custom S!
      I will be following along.
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Nice color! The car is looking good, I like those wheels.
      Thanks. Here's a closeup of the wheels. They're older KMC wheels I got for super cheap. They're not staggered though so I'll probably switch them out when everything else is done. I'm looking at either US mags Rambler wheels in black or some Forgestar f14s.

Here's another budget minded move. Instead of replacing all of my old trim pieces I'm vinyl wrapping everything in gloss black. It turned out to be a very easy process with good results and pretty easy to chang if I ever have the inclination. Should look good with the cyber grey

awesome car and build

Vinyl wrapping the trim pieces in black is going to look outstanding against the grey. Good choice

I love it!! You don't need ultra high dollar parts to have a nice car. Good job.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ekmxryda View Post
      Wow the body looks like it was in great shape, nice job so far.
      My first car was a 69 Custom S!
      I will be following along.
      It really did have a good body when I got it and that was one of the keys to keeping some costs down and keeping the project moving as I only had to buy the quarter patches and a new hood the rest is all stuff my body guy had been able to bang out pretty easy. Surprisingly this is one time where rattle can bombing a car helped out. The previous owner spraypainted over the original Limelight green paint which appeared to be in pretty good shape when I stripped it essentially adding another layer of protection over all the years it was neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by badolds View Post
      I love it!! You don't need ultra high dollar parts to have a nice car. Good job.

Dan
      That's the plan. I certainly have no brand loyalty when it comes to parts. Whatever is most cost effective and furthers my project is what goes on the car. I would love to have an entire system by QA1, ridetech etc. but I've been able to spend a little extra time and find the parts I need here on the forum, Craigslist, swap meets, eBay, whatever. Doing it that way has allowed me to save a little here and a little there which all adds up. Someday when it's on the road I may go back and do some upgrades but if it's carving corners the way it should who cares.

Nice car to start.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com