Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenova View Post
      I solved the clearance problem in my Nova by moving the shift rod to the inside of the forward shift lever.
      I mounted a bell housing on an engine stand and mounted the trans to the bell so it was easy to work on. The rod had to be cut, welded, and re-bent but it was a pretty easy job.

Ken
      So you didn't have to cut the trans tunnel? I imagine your fix also put the shifter back into a more ergonomic location as well?

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      At the power level you are at you could even run a t5. Not the best trans, but can hold the power you are making and will fit in smaller trans tunnels.
      Interesting that the t5 fits more easily. Does it stand up to hard driving at my power level? I will want to do autocross and canyon carving. Probably aggressive highway merges as well, ha. You say the t5 is not the best. In what way? Shift quality?

Quote Originally Posted by 74 Camaro View Post
      Interesting that the t5 fits more easily. Does it stand up to hard driving at my power level? I will want to do autocross and canyon carving. Probably aggressive highway merges as well, ha. You say the t5 is not the best. In what way? Shift quality?
      It's a pretty weak trans. It also doesn't have the shift quality of a modern trans. I never had an issue with mine, but I might just be lucky. I ran mine behind a 400 whp ls with a 275 wide tire and lived for years including when I was 17 and learning to drive and beating the hell out of it. I think a big part of trans longevity is run a tire that will break free before the trans breaks. It's not ideal, but could buy you time to save over the summer and drive the car still.

T5 is pretty small though and will fit. Also I forgot to mention this earlier, Hurst driveline and other companies make trans tunnel patch panels that make life easier to for big trans.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 74 Camaro View Post
      So you didn't have to cut the trans tunnel? I imagine your fix also put the shifter back into a more ergonomic location as well?
      No cuts to the tunnel and the shifter remained in it's original position.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Just an update-

Thanks everyone for the info! It gave me an idea what my options are, and what would be involved. Seeing all this has helped me to conclude that I will most likely go with a T56, eventually. Any half-way steps are just that. What I have now may not be ideal, but it will do until I can save up for what I really want. For now I am fixing up my suspension with all PTFB stuff. Hopefully, I will be able to save up for a year or two and then do the trans swap. Actually, my thought is to do both ls and t56 swap at the same time!

It may take a little longer to save up for the T56 but I guarantee you will be happier when all is said and done! One other thing I would add is that if you buy the LS version of the T56 and an aftermarket adapter plate, you can reuse your current bell housing, clutch linkage and maybe even the clutch if you have a 26 spine input shaft.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      It may take a little longer to save up for the T56 but I guarantee you will be happier when all is said and done! One other thing I would add is that if you buy the LS version of the T56 and an aftermarket adapter plate, you can reuse your current bell housing, clutch linkage and maybe even the clutch if you have a 26 spine input shaft.
      Thanks for the encouragement, and your idea would simplify things a bit. My other thought is to save up a little longer and get a low-mile, used ls/t56 engine and trans combo, so the bell housing and clutch would be included. I would just need to figure out how to hook up linkages. I want an ls for the same reasons anyone else does- added power, fuel economy, and reduced weight. Plus, if I wait to do it all at once, I don't have to spend more money and time adapting different systems.

Basically, what I'm saying is: if the t56 transmission is worth waiting for, then, by similar logic, so is an ls engine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      if you buy the LS version of the T56 and an aftermarket adapter plate, you can reuse your current bell housing, clutch linkage and maybe even the clutch if you have a 26 spine input shaft.
      That's how mine is setup
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

The LS is undeniably the engine of choice these days but it is by no means a requirement. I'm still running a 1st gen SBC 350 that has been stroked to 385. I don't feel the need to change to an LS but that's just me.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com