Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

I've Got A New Toy For My Camaro!

Just finished late yesterday evening, a new FiTech EFI system. I went with the Tanks Inc. EFI tank, Walbro 255 in tank pump. My original fuel lines were 3/8" feed and 5/16" return. I had to increase the return to 3/8" per FiTech. Everyone knows how a small block chevrolet is when the engine is cold. I wouldn't get from my house to the front of the sub division without it stumbling on it's face and finally dying when I got to the stop sign. I went as far as taking the manual choke off and putting a electric one on and it still didn't work like I wanted it to.

I went to the garage this morning, got in, never hit the accelerator and the car started right up, idled perfectly. I took off and there was never a hint of stumbling as I drove when it was 23 degrees outside. So far I am really happy with this. I know I've got a lot of playing around to do with this but so far wow! I had been in contact with the FiTech technicians all the while and I'm telling you these guys are ready to help and so far always accessible. I will let everyone know how this goes on down the line..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Great to know! I'll be doing the exact same install with the same parts on the same type of car in about 6 weeks.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Great to know! I'll be doing the exact same install with the same parts on the same type of car in about 6 weeks.
      Have any questions, give me a call..

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Got my Fitech when they first came out. A great unit have them on two Camaros now
      72 Baldwin Motion (Tribute) EFI
      67 SS 396 (496) Red EFI
      99 Hugger orange Z28 Sold

2001 SS Camaro SLP 19K miles

So far I'm really impressed!

Carl Wilson

Any updates here? How was "tuning" the system?
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

So far I've let the system tune itself. I did have FiTech engineers tweak a few things when I first got it put in. I had a problem with it not wanting to stay running first thing in the morning. They made a couple of adjustments (over the phone) and it's been learning ever since. It seems the longer I drive it the better it runs. I've only got about 250 miles on it so far, but I'm happy with it. I do like not having to constantly pump the accelerator to keep it going first thing, I don't have to give it gas, just start and go. So far the only thing I don't like, which has nothing to do with the FiTech unit is the Walbro 255 pump is loud even though it's in the tank. I had a Holley electric fuel external fuel pump when I had a carburetor it too was noisy. The Walbro is just at a higher pitch.

Carl Wilson

Sounds like a winner!

I'm still trying to understand how the initial setup goes. Was it literally as easy as installing the kit, starting the car, going through the setup, and voila...the car's been getting better and better ever since? (aside from the issue they had to help you with)

I'm thinking about going with the cheaper kit that doesn't offer timing control, but I also don't want to be under the hood adjusting a bunch of crap like in the old days....because I simply don't know how to do that. lol
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

On the initial setup (after you've gotten everything installed), you use your handheld monitor and answer a few questions. One thing I can't stress enough is after you've done your fuel lines check and recheck your fuel line fittings. I thought mine were fine until I started it up only to find the fitting on top of the tank was leaking. I had to drop the tank down enough to tighten it. After this, your car should start. Don't expect it to start up like it had been running all this time, you have to get the air out of the lines, the pump primed etc. But yes, the initial setup was a breeze. I think I had problems because I was wanting it to run perfect in 20 degree weather on first start up of the morning. I called tech support and they had me change some of the initial setup perimeters and it was better. The instructions say to put around two hundred miles on the system to let it learn. I have just passed that and mine is running really well. I have a couple of problems but other than that, I am well pleased. I cannot say that my system is going to be the exact way anyone else's will work, they are all different situations. One thing I've read a lot about is that make sure your electrical system (plugs, distributor, wires etc are as they should be without any problems. Same goes for the fuel delivery system. I was told to use 3/8" tubing for delivery and return. I had to change the return because I had 5/16". Would the 5/16 have worked for the return? I don't know. It was just easier to change it when I did than to find out down the road it didn't.

Carl Wilson

Sounds like as long as your car is running as close to 100% as possible, this system should pick up right where you left off with the carb then? I just don't want to have to get out the timing light, tweak the distrubutor, mess around with mechanical or vacuum advance, all that noise.

I just got a used engine for my car, so after getting it rebuilt, I'm going to run with the Edelbrock carb that came with it long enough to get everything sorted out and settled....then later this year change over to EFI.
      Josh

EFI is easily one of the best upgrades for an older car. I installed my Atomic EFI back in 2012 just before FiTech became available. These modern EFI systems with self-learning technology only get better the more you drive them.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      EFI is easily one of the best upgrades for an older car. I installed my Atomic EFI back in 2012 just before FiTech became available. These modern EFI systems with self-learning technology only get better the more you drive them.
      Steve, I've got around 250 miles on mine. I'll admit that, like you said, it performs better the longer I drive it. My problems now are 1) it wants to stumble a little between shifts, and 2) ( I don't know if this will get better but I hope so ), I am really wanting almost immediate response when I'm driving (in whatever gear). When I punch the accelerator I don't want it to bog down, I want it to immediately go. I hope i've not set myself up for disappointment, but I am wanting it to work like my wife's '06 Mustang, My '07 Chevrolet (classic) truck etc.

Mine still doesn't like the cold weather but it's a lot better than a carbureated engine. I think Chevrolet's are well known for being cold natured.

Carl Wilson

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com