Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Power Steering Issue...need help!!

Hello all, I've recently completed my LS swap 69 Camaro build after three years and finally got in on the road. I have discovered a minor issue with my power steering. My setup was a corvette style PS pump with a remote reservoir on the core support. Ran braided AN fittings and steel braided lines for the plumbing. The gear box is a Lee 12:7 to 1 that I purchased used from a member on the board. What I'm experiencing is only a growling noise when only turning the wheels to the right....nothing to the left. It makes the noise with the car sitting at idle, revving the engine while stationary and driving. At first I thought it was air trapped in the system. I re bled and nothing changed. I called and have been working with Lee Power Steering. Since then I have swapped out a pump for a Lee PS pump, hoses (see below for link) and a Lee PS custom reservoir. Still no change...

With all of these changes Lee PS and I are baffled. The only component I have not touched is the steering box. Lee said for me to ship the box to them so they can go through it. But before I do I wanted to ask if any of you have experienced this before or have any idea what the hell is going on?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-150606erl - this is the current hose I have. It's a steel fabric hose. I'm wondering if I need to go to an all rubber hose as the steel is causing the harmonics??

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I would remove all the spacers from the pressure relief valve. Be very careful not to mark the valve up. Borgenson sells a kit for this..

Thanks for the reply. The pump came from Lee Power Steering who built it to match my steering box....so I don't want to mess with the valve. Besides, it made the same noise with the old pump. Why do you think it could be the relief valve?

I have read that the pressure hose needs to be over a certain length. Aftermarket hoses are often stiffer than stock, so they don't absorb the PS pump pulses as readily. Adding length to the pressure hose gives you more time & surface area to dampen the pulses.
      Another issue to watch for is cavitation on the inlet line to the pump. Any sharp edge on the pump inlet lines can cause bubbles to form and they cause noise in the pump. Radius any sharp edges and remove any sharp ID changes in the fittings.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 01-05-2018 at 10:34 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I have read that the pressure hose needs to be over a certain length. Aftermarket hoses are often stiffer than stock, so they don't absorb the PS pump pulses as readily. Adding length to the pressure hose gives you more time & surface area to dampen the pulses.
      Another issue to watch for is cavitation on the inlet line to the pump. Any sharp edge on the pump inlet lines can cause bubbles to form and they cause noise in the pump. Radius any sharp edges and remove any sharp ID changes in the fittings.
      Thanks David. I do have an extra power steering hose that I could try out on the high pressure side. It's literally double the length. My current high pressure hose is about 14" and I have a spare one around 28." I'll try swapping them out and see if I get any change. Do you by chance remember what the minimum length of the high pressure hose is supposed to be?

I have a PS tech sheet from Art Morrison. It recommends a 15" minimum length. However, they do not recommend steel braided hose at all due to it's inability to absorb pump pulses. You might check at a NAPA store, many of them can make up PS hoses. We have used Aeroquip "air brake" hose which looks like the hose you linked to. It has worked well for us on Mary's Camaro and on the One Lap Camaro with no noise.

I'm chasing a constant whine in my Type II pump. Someone suggested I pull a vacuum on the system via the reservoir cap. I think I will try to find a dorman cap so that I can drill it and pull on it....maybe there's something there.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Thanks David. Here in Vegas we have “All Hose.” I may have them make me one and try that. The other day I was doing more troubleshooting and noticed that the hose vibrates when the wheels are turned to the right. Hopefully that solves it. If not I’ll take the box off and send it back to Lee Powersteering so they can go thru it.

Sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      I'm chasing a constant whine in my Type II pump. Someone suggested I pull a vacuum on the system via the reservoir cap. I think I will try to find a dorman cap so that I can drill it and pull on it....maybe there's something there.
      A stock cap will apply some pressure to the fluid. I think pressure is better than vacuum for cavitation prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      A stock cap will apply some pressure to the fluid. I think pressure is better than vacuum for cavitation prevention.
      Pulling a vacuum on it to remove the air and allow fluid to take the air's place [temporarily]. Like charging an A/C system, pre-bleeding a coolant system, etc.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com