Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

New Member Building a Modern Reimagining of Shelby Cobra in Florida

Hi All. I’m new here and wanted to introduce myself.

My back story...

I grew up in the 70s/80s and have had a love affair with cars as long as I can remember. I was always checking out and reading up on muscle cars. My first Cars were a 77 Firebird Formula, 78 Trans Am, 79 Firebird Esprit & 86 Camaro IROC Z/28. But I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the early Shelby Cobras. Not the Mustang varieties; the one built on the AC Cars Cobra.

The last car I built was a 2003 WRX, to road-racing specs with no expense spared. Almost every part on that car was modified to serve some greater purpose. With an STI 2.5L motor built to 525hp/550tq, Brembo brakes, Bilstein coilovers, a built six speed, cage & harnesses, and sticky rubber, that car was very capable on a track. I loved that the WRX had power, handling, braking, and very little shortcomings. As great as it was, I sold that car in 2011 and sought out the holy grail of my childhood dream cars: a Shelby Cobra.

Since I’m not a millionaire, the only way to scratch that itch was to purchase a replica. I was about to pull the trigger on a Backdraft Racing Cobra when I realized I wanted most was to build it myself and share that experience with my family and friends. So after much research I decided on the Factory Five Racing MkIV Roadster platform.

Right after I took delivery in December of 2011, I started to go through a divorce. The project was put on hold and the car was put into storage until a day came when I would have the time money to get back to it. I’m now happily remarried and have restarted the Cobra project. My wife and I are in the middle of building a business this year as well so my time for the cobra will be spotty at best. But I’ll work on it in the spaces in between everything else. As for my plan...

I loved the 1965 Shelby Cobra SC 427s looks and raw performance, and initially thought I would build a traditional homage to that, but have since decided to make a modern reimagining restomod Pro-touring version. I did not want a car that was only capable of going straight, was scary to drive, was unreliable, or was unsafe for my passengers. While I might take it to Sebring for weekend track days on occasion, it would spend most of its time on the streets. I wanted to build something Carroll Shelby himself would have enjoyed driving. For me, it needed to be able to soak up the twisties, have daily-driver-reliability, have a balanced power to weight ratio, and provide a level of comfort and safety found in modern sports cars. Those are tall orders for a Shelby Cobra Replica but seemingly possible.

Here is the parts I’ve acquired so far to meet my objectives:
      2018 Ford Racing Coyote 5.0 crate motor
      Ford Racing Coyote control pack
      FoMoCo Power steering pump
      Power steering rack, limiters, & offset mounts from Breeze Automotive
      FoMoCo alternator
      FoMoCo mini starter
      Moroso Oil Pan
      Afco aluminum radiator
      Custom Intake
      Tremec T56 Magnum
      Ram clutch pack
      Mid shifter
      External slave hydraulic clutch
      Energy Suspension motor/trans mounts
      Hydraboost power brakes
      Wilwood 6-piston Front Brake Calipers
      Wilwood 4-piston Rear Brake Calipers w/ Park brake
      Wilwood 2-piece Black slotted rotors
      SN97 Mustang Cobra ABS
      17” Halibrand Wheels
      Fuel filter, regulator, and in-tank fuel pump
      Independent Rear suspension
      Forte’s Rear IRS adjusters
      Forte’s solid IRS mounts
      Ford Racing Aluminum pumpkin
      Torsten Differential
      Ford Racing knuckles, hubs & bearings
      Driveshaft Shop custom half shaft axles
      Driveshaft Shop custom driveshaft
      Smith gauges
      Leather Roadster seats
      Stainless Side Pipes
      Darkwater Customs Sidepipe Hangers
      Darkwater Customs Rear Cubby
      Darkwater Customs Dead Pedal Box
      Darkwater Customs custom door sills
      Darkwater Customs Fuel tank access panel
      Darkwater Customs recessed Trunk boxes
      FF Metal F-panel
      FF Metal battery Box to recess it below the trunk
      2bKing’s Custom Foodbox Mod & 0.090 Firewall forward panels
      Breeze Automotive dash supports
      Sun visors
      Wind wings
      Tubular upper & lower control arms
      Polished stainless bumpers
      Vintage wiper kit
      The chassis and all aluminum panels have been powder coated

I still need to acquire:
      Stainless Steel Double Collector Headers
      Wilwood proportioning valve
      Dual roll-bars in stainless from Breeze Auto
      Truck-lite LED headlights
      Glove box
      Alcantara for the interior
      Heater
      Seat heaters
      Tripple fluid reservoirs
      Radiator shroud
      Tires

I’d like to black out all of the trim, black out the wheels, and paint it with a matte charcoal paint & stripes.

The build is just getting started. Brakes & Suspension done at the corners. The progress is slow moving but moving all the same. Looking forward to my time here. Thanks for reading.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com