Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Sick of Unisteer R&P Leak issues

Hi guys

I am posting this problem because I am fed up with this rack and pinion leak issues. I bought my camaro, which was already having Speedtech Subframe and of course with Unisteer RP steering. The rack was leaking and posted this issue here long time ago and got some tips from members here who identified some issues with the installation as well as the incorrect fluid type (ATF). I did put a diferent flow control valve as advised by some members.

So I had to buy another Unisteer Kit two years ( around $800 excluding the shipping charges overseas). It was kept in its box until I got a chance to get it installed in Feb, 2017.

Unfortunately, the car was kept in the garage due to being busy with house renovation.

To make a long story short, the R&P started to leak again:(.

I do not know the reason why it is leaking. The leak is from the driver’s side boot and and also from the R&P body ( where there is a small hex screw).

unfortunately the only steering kit could used with Speedtech Subframe is Unisteer.

I cannot even to send it to Unisteer because I know it might cost around USD700 to ship it back to Unisteer.

If there is a binding issue, could this lead to premature seal failure. What else could lead to seal failure.
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

What size are your front tires?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      What size are your front tires?

Don
      18x8 and 245/40 tires

68 Camaro:
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

Have you spoken with Speedtech? They have good customer service.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'm not sure why yours is leaking but #1, you want to have an inline filter in the return line from the rack back to the reservoir. Dirt or metal in the system will cause trouble.
      #2, Heat is bad for your steering system. You should have some kind of cooler in the return line. A small one is all you need.

Check with your local auto parts store, see if you can send your rack to a rebuilder they use.
      When you install a new rack, be sure to flush your pump and lines.
      The biggest load on a rack is sitting still with your foot on the brakes, and turning the wheels side to side. It forces the rack to drag the tires over the pavement. Avoid doing this.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Have you spoken with Speedtech? They have good customer service.

Don
      I have spoken with Blake at Speedtech. He is very helpful, and identified some issues I had with the old R&B. I changed the flow control valve, and engine stands for LS block in order to mount the steering rack in its proper position. I had addressed these issues prior to putting a new rack.

This time here gave me the contact number for a person at Unisteer. I am going to give them a call
      68 Camaro:

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I'm not sure why yours is leaking but #1, you want to have an inline filter in the return line from the rack back to the reservoir. Dirt or metal in the system will cause trouble.
      #2, Heat is bad for your steering system. You should have some kind of cooler in the return line. A small one is all you need.

Check with your local auto parts store, see if you can send your rack to a rebuilder they use.
      When you install a new rack, be sure to flush your pump and lines.
      The biggest load on a rack is sitting still with your foot on the brakes, and turning the wheels side to side. It forces the rack to drag the tires over the pavement. Avoid doing this.
      Thanks for the great inputs David. Try to find a filter and cooler for it
      68 Camaro:

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com