Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Some thoughts on different decades of cars,,,,,

So I have driven everything from my first car a 66 Dart GT 6cyl/at to 70 BBC to 61 Unibody long bed F100 to mid 70s Monza/Skyhawk w/sbc.
      I have even had a 91 Cavalier 5 spd that was totaled and got a 98 Regal 3800.
      But lets go back, the Regal was totaled thanks to a jeep with no brake lights and a short stop. so I got a ride from my mom and aunt to moms place and "borrowed" her 94 Olds 98, 3800 S1, nice car bit big and plush but serviceable and I had hoped to get it repainted for her for letting me drive it so far as I was working 2 hrs away from home.
      WELLLLL job had owner change, he was hack and crook and I wasnt happy and he figured out I wasnt a tech who would screw over people and we parted ways. Spent time on unemployment in 2016 tried helping buddy who was starting used car lot, tried mobile diagnostics but never made enough to keep it up and buddys partner wanted out.
      So I was out of work more or less for 4 months till March, and local 3 bay shop hired me. Straight hr pay, then boss got ran over by tater chip truck! So he is out and me and other tech keep place going but in Aug come in on a Monday and only charge account was shut down. and all others were cash or check on delivery,,,,and boss was still only in couple days a week.
      And he had hired a third tech,,,,,,.
      So writing was on wall, so prayed on it and old boss that had sold the shop I was working at 2 hr drive away had my old position back open in Bloomington (Midas) and we talked, he made offer and I am now back there(45 min drive).

ANYWAY!
      So I have been given moms Olds 98, long in tooth and needing some tlc. Been trying to get 66 Caprice 4dr HT on road and local show/cruise was coming up so I pushed to get exhaust on it, wound up having to buy rear tires too(20+ yr old BFG dont like 70 mph under inflated i guess.
      So missed cruise and show but did get exhaust more or less done. Long perf core Thrush glaspacks and 2 1/2 tail pipes behind wheels. Fussed through bad brake shoes(already had corvette master swap done) collapsed front hoses, bad wheel cylinders.
      Now right after Igot exh done Olds develops rattle in belt drive, believe its balancer but had to play search game for balancer.
      So Caprice with all the above issues and other got pressed into a 90 mile a day round trip DD!
      Yeah and it had burnt up turn sig switch and the new ones are $100!
      So I have fussed with after market universal and either my color blindness is bad or its wired wrong inside.
      So I have been trying to get a 2004 Grand Prix I picked up for $300 with about $250 in new parts in it running("better"it had chipmunk with sledge hammers wanting out of crankcase!)for a daily driver.

So about month or two ago a lady had Tracker in with rusted brake and fuel lines, she didnt want to repair it and left car and gave manager the title. Free.
      Well when Caprice needed tires in September had to use payroll deduction blowing chance to use it for Grand Prix engine, then it needed front tires. So couple weeks ago boss said we needed to get Tracker going as his Maxima was in wreck and front end is all messed up, and sucks to drive.
      So I jokingly offered to do brake/fuel lines if he helped me get engine for GP.

Well last sunday shop is closed on Sundays and I went in after church about 1:30 and started engine swap. And was done by 9:30.
      And Tuesday Caprices ?? yrs old water pump finally started leaking after rattling for month or better but never leaked or got loose.
      And now I have 04 Grand Prix with fresh install 2007 Series 3 LKQonline 69k mile used engine with 6 month warranty on the road. Did basic stuff but havent swapped plugs or wires as they only have 69K and I need 2 more plugs to round out a set.
      But funds are tight this week till Thursday.
      But First full tank of gas(no ethanol 91 premium from Countrymark Co-Op) got me 21.7 mpg with basically a pull out engine!

But enough back story.
      Drove 66 home from work as buddy drove GP back.

I will miss the daily drive in 66. It actually has near instant heat from old 305 it came with. Yeah it has wind leaks, needs few tweaks on brakes, probably needs alignment badly. BUT 14.5 mpg I wont miss, no radio, bad shocks even with new springs that dont have 2x4 driven into them!
      52 yr old 115k mile car vs 13 yr old 193k mile car that amazingly everything seems to function ok so far.

GPs old engine was dumping oil/coolant and I believe contaminated converter as I get cat efficiency code.
      But quick dance through computer can shut that code off if need be as I have programmer for when I swap on a blower($73 shipped from LKQonline!) .
      Just need few brackets and idlers and different balancer and injectors and headers then tune it,,,,,,,,,,.
      OK have I gained anything. I am not sure. But both cars are drivable, dependable more or less. And hard to hate even with faults.
      But better mileage and less noise is good and if I get a date or two the GP looks better.
      BUT I will drive Caprice more in warmer climates.
      But they both have their quirks, and issues and inherently I LIKE THEM BOTH.
      Hard to believe a guy could like BOTH a 52 yr old and 13 yr old car.
      And want to mod both of them to a point.
      Now how much did I win on PowerBall,,,,,,,dang it,,,,,nothing.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com