Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ford 9" rear ratio discussion

67 camaro , t56 magnum 2.66 , ls3 447rwhp, 315/30/18 rear tire (25.44") Ford 9inch

4 or 5 times a year autocross, weekend fun car

Currently have 4.11s and I was thinking about switching to a 3.70 or 3.90 gear. 4.11 are a blast but I would like to lower the highway rpms down slightly but don't want to lose to much of my 2nd and 3rd gear around town pulls. Not alot yoy can do in 1st and 2nd gear goes by quick .

What do you suggest? Will I notice a difference with going to a 3.90 or should I drop down to 3.70s?

Country Flag: Canada
      Google rear gear calculator ....plug in your above info , it will spit out what your now new cruise rpm would be . Actually maybe even go to tremec website
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I'm running an old school SBC, close ratio T56 Magnum, Moser 9" floater with 3.89 gears and 27" tall rear tires. This setup is just about perfect for my driving. Some around town and some highway and it is good at both. Tremec has a nice gear ratio calculator that is pre-programmed with their transmission ratios that is very helpful in playing with different rear gears.

http://tremec.com/calculadora.php
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I'm running an old school SBC, close ratio T56 Magnum, Moser 9" floater with 3.89 gears and 27" tall rear tires. This setup is just about perfect for my driving. Some around town and some highway and it is good at both. Tremec has a nice gear ratio calculator that is pre-programmed with their transmission ratios that is very helpful in playing with different rear gears.

http://tremec.com/calculadora.php
      Thought you ran a 335/30/18? 26" tall tire

If you're building the car for mainly just street/highway driving I would go with the 3.70 to get you the best cruising RPM. You still have plenty of power to have fun with that gear set. Plus on the autocross you'll be able to stretch first gear out a little longer which , depending on the course layout, may be a good benefit. If you are torn, when it comes right down to it, there's really only a 200 RPM difference at 65mph between the 3.70(2000rpm) & 4.11 gears(2200RPM) Do what makes the most sense for the majority of the driving you will be doing.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

My preferred rule of thumb for rear end ratios is between 2000 and 2200 RPM at 75MPH. That said, I really noticed when I went from 3.73s to 3.42s in my GTO. It got nicer on the highway but there is noticeable loss of pep off the line. The 1/4 mile times also reflect this. Then again, it's 4000 pounds with me in it and YMMV...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

My starting point is 3.25 (9" Ford) or 3.28 (8.8" Ford).

I don't see the need for wicked fast acceleration from a standing start, and, in fact, I think killing some low-end torque is desirable to keep the rear tires behind you while driving in anger on a racetrack. 3.25 gears allow the use of 2nd gear on low-speed corners, 3rd on mid-speed, and 4th on big sweepers with room to get north of 140 on long straights.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      Thought you ran a 335/30/18? 26" tall tire
      My bad, you're correct 26" rears.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Love the 3.70 gears. 2200 rpms cruising 70mph is quite and more relaxing. Driving around town in 4th or 5th going to speed limit keeps the rpms down as well. Didn't feel any real loss in 2nd and 3rd gear taking off. Allows the tires to grip alittle better before breaking them loose.

Now I need more power! Thinking about going with a fast intake

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      My starting point is 3.25 (9" Ford) or 3.28 (8.8" Ford).

I don't see the need for wicked fast acceleration from a standing start, and, in fact, I think killing some low-end torque is desirable to keep the rear tires behind you while driving in anger on a racetrack. 3.25 gears allow the use of 2nd gear on low-speed corners, 3rd on mid-speed, and 4th on big sweepers with room to get north of 140 on long straights.
      This is what I just put in mine, partly for the reasons you stated and partly because I got a good deal on a new Strange 3rd member that happened to have 3.25 gears in it. I have the wide ratio T56, and with the previous 3.73 in the rear 1st gear was nearly useless. Might be a bit slower off the line, but since I can hold gears longer there is less shifting when cruising around town and ultimately it's probably a wash. 80-85mph on the interstate is cake, too.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com