Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1968 Chevy "Slow" and "Quiet" Build

Good Day all I stumbled across this site looking for some ideas on how I am going to build up the suspension on my truck. So many ideas just unsure on which way I should go on a budget so I will be making most of my parts myself which I injoy. I also got a build thread going on the 67-72 forums aswell.

So I have the truck all stripped down to the frame and going to start bracing it up to my home built frame table. Which is working pretty good sure beats working on the ground and my concrete floor is pretty unlevel.

In the front I plan to raise the front cross member up a inch and a half into the frame to get it level with the bottom of the frame. 2 inch drop spindles 2 or more inch drop springs or maybe a front coil over using the the factory cross member. I got a 80s front suspension off of my buddies truck for the updated control arms, disc brakes, and 5 lug. Just got to get it one of these days.

The back now I am kinda undecided so that's were you all can hopefully point me in the right direction. To start my truck is a LWB so I'm going to have to cut the frame to a SWB. In the process I was planning on kicking up the back end of the frame 4 or so inches and box it out from the trailing arm cross member to the pan hand bar cross member. I Will fish plate all my cuts on the inside of the frame so should all be plenty strong. My factory trailing arms are shot so will be building my own. I Plan on building them a little longer to have a spot to mount a coil over on the back of them some way. Those are the plans out back.

I will be going with a Ls and 4l80 shoved back as far back with some fire wall modifications. The middle of the frame will be getting boxed out with some c channel and cross bracing throughout the frame aswell. Am I going in the right direction with this build. Here's some pictures of my progress. Please feel free to point bad ideas or suggestions. Ive had 5 of these trucks and always just added blocks in the back and cut springs or they were a c/30 so want to have fun with this one.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com