Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Smartest way to reach my 68 Camaro dream?

I'm in the process of saving for a 68 Camaro. Is it more affordable to put the sweat equity in myself to rehab a car and purchase a roller, or purchase one that is more complete.

I'll be looking to purchase one with at least the body work done, as I'm more experienced with the mechanical side of things.

End goal would be a mild pro touring car with a new GM crate engine of some sort.

Initial budget for just the car would be about $20k and I would modify as time goes by

Thanks!
      Mike

Country Flag: United States
      20k isn't enough
      Ahmad B.

I should have been more clear. $20k is just to purchase the initial car, whether it be a roller or otherwise.

The link below is in your range if he'll sell it.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...rade-Plus-cash
      Ahmad B.

Look around for a stalled project car. A lot of people have big dreams/ideas/plans for their projects but then reality sets in and they run out of time, money, skill, motivation, etc. Many times these projects can be picked up pretty cheap. Browse the classified section here and also take a look at http://racingjunk.com
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Smartest way to reach my 68 Camaro dream?

I started with a complete, running, driving car to which I made relatively minor mods over a couple years before totally tearing it down. Having had the experience of actually driving the car and having a good time in it seems to help with the motivation to carry on with a project that will be way longer and more expensive than any of us thought at the beginning....and knowing the car as a driver in stock form may also change some of the decisions you make about how you want to build the car.

It's not affordable either way. Just pick your poison. I would say honestly, if you like working on cars, and don't find it a absolute PITA and dread working on them I'd find a roller and go after it. If you don't like the thought of working on them (and there will be plenty of work), don't have the place, time, or patience, I would opt for one that's almost completed. Again, something you'll have to figure out for yourself. Good luck with whichever way you choose and we'll be watching and waiting for pictures and always willing to help with our 2 cents....

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

The roller option is always my personal choice unless I ran across an incredible deal on one. Less expensive to get into to start and you can build it as you want it at your convenience. Then you know exactly what is in the car, the quality and how it has been treated. The only time I would buy a finished car was if I was wanting a factory stock car since I don't have the patience to worry about all the specific little factory stock items.

However good you want the overall fit & finish of the body/interior to be (when it's finished) . . . buy something that is already that nice to begin with.

Do this even if you have to change a bunch of things on it like the paint color or the drivetrain. Bringing up the overall quality of the car is pretty thankless compared to making any kind of specific changes.

Just a thought, have you looked into a new Dyancorn body shell?

http://dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/camaro/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com