Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Country Flag: United States

Help- but not a true emergency

I'm not a good mechanic, but I do OK unscrewing stuff and screwing stuff back in it's place.

On one of the daily drivers (2002 Exploder, I know, dull as hell- but so am I), had a wheel fall off on the way to work yesterday. No big deal, threw it in the back and dragged the right rear corner into the driveway. Snapped 4 wheel studs, 5th one looks stripped.

So I need to pull the rear caliper and rotor to get to the studs. Get one caliper bolt loose, but the other ramps out of the box end I'm trying to loosen with. Even I'm not such a hack as to believe I can loosen with a plier o vice grip- i need to get a bite on it and the points of the hex are pretty much rounded.

What tool is there that will give me enough bite to get this bolt loosened? do I beat the hell out o the next lower wrench or socket size so I can get it started? The bolt is expendable, if there is some tool that will suck down on this with octopus like attachment, it would be ideal.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Hammer on a metric socket...maybe. Grind the head off. Weld another bolt to it. Just some ideas. Try a six point socket.

Is there a caliper bracket you can remove to get the assembly off with the caliper still attached?

Put some heat to it. It'll come right off.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Well,it's snowing and subfreezing though at least next sunday, so it looks like this will need to wait until after Christmas. Thanks for the input. I'll report back
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Follow-up. Warm enough today to do some work on the car

Got to thinkin' real hard, my brain was starting to smoke.

The problem was, a 12 pt socket and a 12pt box end were ramping out. The best way to prevent this was a snug fit 6 pt. Ans what's snugger than an impact socket? Using a half in drive short impact on the ratchet, and a 9" trigger clamp to try to keep the socket from riding uop on the bolt head, the impact was snug enough. Started turning it, it was coming out too easy, i was sure I was going to snap it. But I didn't, it came out clean. I'm, pulling the rotor off tonight (after I bath the rust in PB blaster and beat on it with a hammer some- don't worry, I'll beat the crap out of a brass hammer on it.) On Monday it's off to Fords to get a couple replacement caliper bolts. Not going to tempt the fates re-using these hombres Therer's stupid, then there's me.

So movement forward.

Thanks for the input. Fortunately no drama was required.
      Greg Fast

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com