Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pro Touring Lap Times

I've been looking but haven't really found much info:
      can please post their laps times from various well known tracks around the country. Just curious how much road course performance that some pro touring builds can get vs modern cars.

I am surprised how little info there is in this regard.

Ideally you would include some info about your suspension.

Interested to know how well pro touring car compare to a new camaro, mustang, etc.

Country Flag: United States
      Just going to guess here, but there probably aren't enough people who have actually taken their P-T car to a full road course to compile an actual list. There will be a few people, but most of the people here normally run autocross, which isn't measurable car to car unless it's the same course layout every time. Not to mention how much costlier it is to run an actual road course.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/2017-...ore-the-storm/

Super Chevy does this every year. Aftermarket companies bring out their chosen weapons and go head to head with a new car and each other for laptimes. This gets put in print in the magazine, but now lots of this content is getting put into videos.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

The little bit of times I have seen had the newer cars pretty much killing the modified older stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      The little bit of times I have seen had the newer cars pretty much killing the modified older stuff.
      Unless you have one of Mark Stielow's Camaros, which beat the new ZL1 Camaro back in 2012.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...rsus-2012-zl1/
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

One issue that won't show up in the data you are looking for is the driver variable. You can go to the results of the optima events, for instance, and you can see the times of the GTV class vs. the GT class. What you are really looking for is the time a modern muscle car laps vs. a pro-touring car with the same driver.

From memory, It seems that the GTV and GT class winners are roughly the same in terms of lap times on road courses. A huge difference will be that most of the modern cars will have a nice air conditioned ride with a quiet cabin to play their music in for the trip home and the Pro-touring cars will probably roll with the windows open and be much louder inside the cabin.
      1978 Pontiac Trans Am Y88-R,
      UMI Performace, LS3/T56 Holley EFI

Our small little Pro-Touring market is pretty much based on 200 treadwear tires. Many of the sanctioning bodies we all run in use this whereas many other bodies allow R compound tires. We have ran Auto Club Speedway with Speed Ventures and Redline Time Attack a few times. The Unlimited cars(on race tires & unlimited Aero) are insanely fast. I've got video somewhere of a S2K passing our 540whp(3200lb) #ProjectReddawn Camaro like it was sitting still, on a straight.

Having said that if someone had some time you could compile lap times from some of the more popular tracks like Fontana, COTA, PPIR, Willow, Streets of Willow, Road America etc. There have been enough laps run at those tracks over the years to at least have some comparison. One thing that we run into though is even as much as we run Fontana there are multiple configurations that are used. Even the infield course can vary by 2 seconds or more just by adding a couple cones on the straight before the bridge.(Which is how Super Chevy runs it at the Challenge)
      www.totalcostinvolved.com
      "Quality doesn't cost, it pays"

thanks but...I have been looking for lap times and I haven't been able to find specific lap times, just overall winners...

Not looking in the right spots or using the right search terms...

Quote Originally Posted by fastd View Post
      thanks but...I have been looking for lap times and I haven't been able to find specific lap times, just overall winners...

Not looking in the right spots or using the right search terms...
      I hear ya.... I browsed driveusca for results and had no luck. They will list the times for all competitors if you can actually find the results page.

So Let's get this party started. Here are the results from the Super Chevy Muscle Car Challenge. This is the 1.4 Mile Infield course. All cars were run on the old compound Falken 615K 200 treadwear tires. Air temp was 110+, track temp was hovering around 150.

You can see the cone configuration in this video @ 1:10, 2:28, 3:48, 5:09, 6:28 etc.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftHkSus3qJI&t=112s

When I get some spare time I can go through some of the other events and post them up.

-J
      Last edited by Sales-TCI-Eng; 12-06-2017 at 01:30 PM.

this is great; thank you.

what year was this? is the track at willow springs or Auto Club Speedway or other?

and...are the cars on that list company sponsored? so for example, when it says Detroit Speed, can I assume that that car has the entire DSE catalog in it? thanks again.

and...are the cars on that list company sponsored? so for example, when it says Detroit Speed, can I assume that that car has the entire DSE catalog in it? thanks again.
      Some google work will help. I found an article on that car. http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...et-car-camaro/

It is a suspension challenge so each suspension company gets an invite to bring their own entry. It was held at Auto Club Speedway.

Wilwood '73 Camaro = Brian Hobaugh (Mike Maier built suspension)
      Heidt's = D&Z Customs built Camaro
      '73 Vega is David Carroll's - Not sure what suspension but it has a crate Ecotec turbo 4 cylinder
      Schwartz Performance = Ryan Buck's '68 Camaro
      "W2W" = Week To Wicked

Here is the event coverage video.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiC...ature=youtu.be
      Last edited by Sales-TCI-Eng; 12-06-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Check out Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge. They usually get a few pro touring entries each year, and always run at VIR.

thanks so much for the info...any idea what model the 2017 camaro baseline car was?

thanks for the grassroots info; here are some 2014 results:

Class Winners
      Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge Champion - Ben Keating - Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R - 1:45.394
      Fastest Track Star - Ben Keating - Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R - 1:45.394
      Fastest Real Door Slammer-Big Bore - James Clay - 2002 Porsche 911 - 1:53.607
      Fastest Real Door Slammer - Small Bore - Douglas Wind - 2004 Dodge SRT 4 - 2:04.025
      Fastest Vintage - Mill Robinson - 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - 2:12.588
      Fastest Street Production - Robert Grace - 2011 BMW 1M - 2:03.688
      Fastest All Wheel Drive - Dillon Machavern - 2013 Lamborghini Gallardo Super Trofeo - 1:54.039
      Fastest Front Wheel Drive - Douglas Wind - Dodge SRT 4 - 2:04.025
      Fastest BMW - Ryan Eversley - 2008 BMW 135 - 1:53.708
      Fastest Ford - Kienan Weber - 2008 Ford Mustang - 2:01.269
      Fastest Honda - Andy Hollis - 1989 Honda CRX - 2:05.847
      Most Innovative Award - Robert Downes - 2008 BMW 135
      Official's Choice Award - Todd Reid - EVSR
      Competitor's Choice Award - Robert Downes - 2008 BMW 135
      Continental Tire Contingency Award - Douglas Wind - 2004 Dodge SRT 4

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/UTCC14/

This is an older video but still relevant to this discussion.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

JDMan,
      thanks; that is a good one...

thanks so much for the info...any idea what model the 2017 camaro baseline car was?
      It was a 1LE SS M6

thanks TCI; super helpful.

please don't forget to check you files for me data when you get home as you mentioned the other day.
      regards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com