Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

9" Ford Brake Gap

I have a 64 Galaxie that I want to add rear disc brakes to so I have it apart measuring before ordering to hopefully avoid any mistakes. This is a 289 Galaxie so it has a small bearing 9" (3 3/8" x 2" bolt spacing on the axle flange). It still has the drum backing plate on it but measuring the brake gap I only come up with a smidge under 2 1/4". All the brake kits I have looked at for the small bearing are 2 1/2" or 2.66" offset. Can the backing plate be 1/4" thick at the bolt area or do I have some oddball configuration (or am I just doing something wrong)?

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...ch.aspx?flg=15

Name:  9 ford.gif
Views: 459
Size:  11.6 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

They do make brake kits for your application, 2.5" is more common, but 2.375" is out there. I bought a shortened 9" off Craigslist and mine ended up measuring 2.33". Just talk to your brake vendor and tell them what the measurement is. They have kits to fit it....

Thanks for the tip.

I took out one axle retainer bolt so I could measure past the brake drum backing plate and it looks to be 2 3/8 which very well could be 2.33". I will look for a 2.33" offset but what about running a 1/8" spacer behind the rotor to make it 2 1/2"?
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

What kind of kit were you thinking of running?

I wouldn't recommend a spacer behind the rotor.

Wilwood makes a number of kits for the 2 3/8" offset. We run into the same problem on early Broncos as they have the 2 3/8" offset.

Todd Z.

I was looking to do an OEM swap from Mustang Steve for the rear. No one makes brackets for the front of a Galaxie so I was going to make my own. The wilwood stuff is nice but the prices for 13" kits is too high (IMO) being that 12.5-13" brakes are standard now and you can buy OEM 14" and 15" brakes. It's not a race car, I am just after major braking improvements over drums but not on a race car level so 13" Mustang 4 piston brakes and 12-13" rear brakes would be plenty and very affordable.
      See my build

Jason

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com