Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: Canada
      Yes, the second gens can take a larger tire up front. I easily clear 275's and others have made 305's work. Also yes on the caster settings, I run Spohn LCAs with more caster built into them.
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

Country Flag: United States
      Urgh, fix one thing another pops up to take it's place, so I had a problem with the fuel injection recently. Fixed that just to have a brake problem rear it's ugly head...
      IMG_20180324_113202737_HDR by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      It turns out the banjo bolt on my LS brake upgrade is contacting the frame at full lock, need to make some room...

Joe

I got a 275 to fit on the front of my first gen s10, but i had custom rims ordered. I dont think there are any production based rims that will work for that. That was with jdm spindles and some speedway control arms.
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

I swear this is turning into the quest for attitude/altitude... I have officially reached the point of wishing I had gone coilover in the front... As much as I like where the front sits, it's just a bit too low with the existing frame... It was borderline... (would drag on the occasional speed bump before I did the rework last year.)
      1205 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      1208 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      Now that I have the C6 wheels on it I get a better sense of how it sits.

The back needs to come down a bit, plans include an Explorer 8.8, 3 or 4 link and coilovers in the back, for now I'll make it up with 1/2" taller blocks.

Joe

Coming soon, round three of front suspension mods, (or maybe it's more like 2.5 ) This will be about some fine tuning. I have a new set of Moog 5664 springs that will get a half coil off The last set got a full coil in round 2) and a set of proforged 1/2" taller lower ball joints, as well as a set of Russell button head banjo bolts to take care of a clearance issue that came up with the LS brakes I did during round 1
      IMG_20180503_172453676 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      This should set the front just a small fraction of an inch higher than it landed in round 2 and give me back some suspension travel, it rode decent after lowering, but I'm greedy and want it to ride as good as it can at a given height....

Cheers Beers n Gearz, Joe

Mission accomplished, The new parts put it right in the sweet spot, and gave me enough travel to give back the ride quality it had before I started cutting springs...
      IMG_20180506_055639312 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      IMG_20180506_055653443 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      Persistence pays off...

Joe

It looks great!

Some days, I wish I'd have bought a 1st gen Blazer. I've been considering doing a 1st gen ext cab swap onto a 2nd gen ZR2 swap for a winter beater after the current project is done. Maybe with a SFA.

Jay

Frankenstine was on the prowl today, after getting new injectors this morning...
      IMG_20180623_105837334 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

I'm giving thought to a second gen ext cab with the 5.3 out of my Silverado to replace the Silverado, between the S10's I've owned and my Dakota R/T, I've got spoiled and think my Silverado is much too big... (The Silverado is an ext cab rebuilt from salvage, runs great, looks like crap)...

Joe

Looking for input on my rear suspension, I'm going to list my options would like feedback. All options will use the Ford Exploder 8.8 that I have for the truck.

#1 use the Belltech leaf springs that are on the truck now and replace the KYB Monomax shocks with ridetech HQ's, this will be the least expensive/easiest. Locks me into this setup, forcing a change of shocks if I decide I want more from the truck latter.

#2 would use a set of ridetech coilovers w/out the springs in place of the HQ's. More work with having to build mounts, but gives me the option to go with a 3 or 4 link if I chose to upgrade without buying another pair of shocks.

#3 (the current plan, There is a lot of work planned for the next phase as it is without the extra work involved in the rear suspension)...
      3 or 4 link with Ridetech coilovers...

I have to keep reminding myself that the truck is a daily driver that will see limited track use... Am I overthinking things? I know there are a lot of cars out there doing well on leaf springs...

Joe

I've bought property in Show Low AZ, in the process of moving...
      1029181602 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      Frankenstine's new lair...

Joe

Congrats on the move and the new place Joe!
      I'd have a hard time giving up CO for AZ but that's me. I love Colorado.

(I know this goes back a few months but...)
      As far as your rear suspension options go, I'll give my opinion for what it's worth.

I'd be partial to #2 because I like having upgrade options AND having the ability to use what's there.

Your last line says it all. Know your goal and intended use.
      Yes, leaf springs can be made to work effectively, but you'll never have the tuning ability / adjustability of coilovers.

Moving sucks...

At the end of Nov, I got the last load down... Been working on getting settled and setting up the new shop.
      0104191222a by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      0105191529 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      The new shop needed a lot of work, here's a couple examples of the "wiring"... It makes me worry about what's under the finished walls in the workshop portion of the shop...
      0204190923 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      0204191031 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      Shop also needed concrete, the only good reason for not doing it while building would be a lack of funds, there are several other things done, (or not done) that support this line of thought...

I miss my old shop,
      0108190947 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr
      But with neighbors like this,and the views I have, I can get over it.

Cheers Beers n Gearz, Joe

Hey Joe, somehow I missed that you moved to Show Low and we are now "almost" neighbors. How is the Blazer coming along?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Hey Joe, somehow I missed that you moved to Show Low and we are now "almost" neighbors. How is the Blazer coming along?
      Not much has happened with the Blazer, the PE blood clot earlier in the year has slowed things down a bit and I'm sidetracked with a couple of motorcycle projects.
      I know you've got Barney apart right now, what are some of the upcoming local events your planning on?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer838 View Post
      Not much has happened with the Blazer, the PE blood clot earlier in the year has slowed things down a bit and I'm sidetracked with a couple of motorcycle projects.
      I know you've got Barney apart right now, what are some of the upcoming local events your planning on?

Joe
      Say something if you ever ride around the Phoenix area. I ride all the time and a recent deal for a new moto brand has slowed my build down a little as they want me riding their stuff.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com