Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Looking for a specific pressure sensor

So as I am saving up for an Accusump system, I would like to at least add in a fail safe for when oil pressure drops. I know how I am going to do it I just cant find the right sensor. Hoping this will be something someone has already done and can point me in the right direction. Looking for a 2 post sensor that connects as it hits around 20 psi and disconnects at anything below 20 psi. It cant be a single post that grounds through the body of the sensor. I would like it to have 1/8" npt threads (not a deal breaker). All the ones that I can find for something like brake lights turn off at 50 psi or less. My hot oil pressure at idle is 40-45 psi so that wont work. Anyone know of a sensor that will work for my needs? Thanks!

1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Country Flag: United States
      Couple of thoughts:

1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Couple of thoughts:

The reason I think 20 psi is good, is because the oil psi "should" never drop that low on my engine. If it does drop, I think 20 psi is a safe number to keep it running at. The lowest it should get under normal circumstances is 40 psi. I dont have an Accusump yet so this would not tie into it. This is more of a temporary safety feature. I noticed on my last race that the psi would drop bad on one of the sharp right hand turns. Its hard to watch the gauges through a turn as you know. So instead of having to watch the gauges, I would be using this 20 psi sensor to cut spark if the oil psi drops that far to avoid damage. I am trying to make this engine last a bit longer then the last one...

Sounds like what you need is a 20psi Hobbs switch.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Just be careful about wiring it into the ignition. If you cut ignition, you'll have an immediate weight shift to the front end, increasing it's grip and reducing the rear grip. May find yourself looking at oncoming traffic
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Sounds like what you need is a 20psi Hobbs switch.

Andrew
      Thats exactly what I need but I cant find one. I see they make a 10 psi version and then skip to 50 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyover View Post
      Just be careful about wiring it into the ignition. If you cut ignition, you'll have an immediate weight shift to the front end, increasing it's grip and reducing the rear grip. May find yourself looking at oncoming traffic
      I didnt even think about that. Thanks for bringing it up. I am sure it wont happen on the streets, just during autox. I have 2 ways of setting up the spark cut. First way will completely kill it. Second way would be like triggering a rev limiter. Not sure which one would be a smoother cut. Any ideas?

If you were running an aftermarket ECU this would be fairly simple to program with a soft ignition cut...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

If you were running an aftermarket ECU this would be fairly simple to program with a soft ignition cut...

Andrew
      I am assuming by soft ignition cut you are talking about a DBW throttle body and having the blade close instead of cutting fuel or spark? I am running an aftermarket ecu but it doesnt support a DBW TB. Its old and way outdated. However it does have an option "for no lift shift". I wonder what plumbing it to that would do?

Also, I found this.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...03&Screen=PROD

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzilla View Post
      I am assuming by soft ignition cut you are talking about a DBW throttle body and having the blade close instead of cutting fuel or spark? I am running an aftermarket ecu but it doesnt support a DBW TB. Its old and way outdated. However it does have an option "for no lift shift". I wonder what plumbing it to that would do?

Also, I found this.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...03&Screen=PROD
      By "soft cut" I mean like a 2-step. I don't know how other ECU's do it, but the Holley ECU drops one cylinder at a time to maintain a certain RPM. So it isn't a all out ignition cut...per se...The software can also bet set to cut fuel, ignition, and/or both...The Dominator can also do the DBW, which I know you don't have, but is super slick...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

By "soft cut" I mean like a 2-step. I don't know how other ECU's do it, but the Holley ECU drops one cylinder at a time to maintain a certain RPM. So it isn't a all out ignition cut...per se...The software can also bet set to cut fuel, ignition, and/or both...The Dominator can also do the DBW, which I know you don't have, but is super slick...

Andrew
      I have a 2 step option but not sure off the top of my head what it cuts or if I can choose what it cuts. And I am on a batch fire system to make it worse... I will have to check when I get home.

But at the same time, how would it react? Typically you would hit the 2 step button, then bring the rpms up. The way its going to work for me is the opposite. I would probably be somewhere between 5-8000 rpms and then have it kick in.

A couple more thoughts...

• Just to me, it sounds like a lot of work to workaround the underlying problem. Can you baffle the pan to mitigate the oil pressure drop during cornering?
      • Can you overfill the engine slightly to accomodate the slosh? In the 2G autocross cornering I have done in an FSAE car, we used a motorcycle engine, which should never see lateral loads, simply running it 1qt high solved any starvation issues.
      • What about a simple warning light that will tell you to back out of it, or that there is an issue with that?
      • I am not sure how running off a rev limiter would fix a low oil pressure problem? DBW is not necessary for a progressive timing cut, you may be able to use this switch as a knock input or flat-shift input and pull timing that way.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      A couple more thoughts...

• Just to me, it sounds like a lot of work to workaround the underlying problem. Can you baffle the pan to mitigate the oil pressure drop during cornering?
      • Can you overfill the engine slightly to accomodate the slosh? In the 2G autocross cornering I have done in an FSAE car, we used a motorcycle engine, which should never see lateral loads, simply running it 1qt high solved any starvation issues.
      • What about a simple warning light that will tell you to back out of it, or that there is an issue with that?
      • I am not sure how running off a rev limiter would fix a low oil pressure problem? DBW is not necessary for a progressive timing cut, you may be able to use this switch as a knock input or flat-shift input and pull timing that way.
      To answer your questions...

- I know there is a problem. This is my temporary fix to make sure I dont push it to the point to make the problem happen. The pan is baffled from the factory but does not have any trap doors. The sump is also at the very center of the pan.

- Yes I have tried up to 1.5 qt more. Changed it from dropping to 0 to slowly going to 20 (I havent pushed to see if it goes to 0 but im sure it will).

- A warning light would work but I really dont want to cut another hole in the dash. The gauge has a working warning light but its small and the steering wheel blocks it.

- The idea of having it cut the spark is to get your attention. If there was just a light, I could miss it coming on. If it instantly cuts spark, you will know what is happening without having to look at anything. Again, this is just to prevent me from hitting 0 oil psi for the time being. Im not going to be racing it for a few months but I do have a few mountain trips planned.

Edit - also wanted to say I dont think this is a pan issue. I think the head is a bad design from gm. The oil drains in the head, only on one side, are tiny. I only get this issue on right hand turns.

Alright, looking at my tuning software, I think the no lift shift option will be best. When that pin is grounded, I can set the timing to retard whatever amount I want. Retarding the timing will give me an instant notice of a loss in power without being too hard of a hit.

Also, looks like my 2 step cuts both fuel and spark at different times. But might be too harsh of an engagement. I can mess around with both.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com