Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: Italy

which engine for 1970 cuda?

hello to everyone .. i'm building a 1970 cuda pro touring and now we have to choose the engine (first we had a 572 hemi but I sold it.)
      we are undecided about:
      - 6.1 hemi and prepare it
      - 6.4 hemi and bring it to 550 hp
      - r5 p7 engine. I do not know much about that engine .. do you give me some feedback?
      which among these engine do you recommend me?
      thank you

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by boss351 View Post
      hello to everyone .. i'm building a 1970 cuda pro touring and now we have to choose the engine (first we had a 572 hemi but I sold it.)
      we are undecided about:
      - 6.1 hemi and prepare it
      - 6.4 hemi and bring it to 550 hp
      - r5 p7 engine. I do not know much about that engine .. do you give me some feedback?
      which among these engine do you recommend me?
      thank you

Pro-Touring? Easy answer....fuel injected modern hemi. If you really have the cash, I would go for the Hell Cat crate engine.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      X2 what badazz says
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Hellcats are coming down and should have a good return on investment for the entire car. Since they announced the $15k Hellcat crate engines, I have seen a pulled 6.2L going for $10k obo. They were all running up near $20k just a few months ago.

Of the options you mentioned, I would go toward the 6.4L, 6.1L parts are over-priced. You can also pickup a Hellcat shortblock pretty reasonably and build up the rest. That being said, I have a little 5.7L that is ready for a few psi once the 'Cuda fund recovers from this year.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      Hellcats are coming down and should have a good return on investment for the entire car. Since they announced the $15k Hellcat crate engines, I have seen a pulled 6.2L going for $10k obo. They were all running up near $20k just a few months ago.

Of the options you mentioned, I would go toward the 6.4L, 6.1L parts are over-priced. You can also pickup a Hellcat shortblock pretty reasonably and build up the rest. That being said, I have a little 5.7L that is ready for a few psi once the 'Cuda fund recovers from this year.
      My budget is 13k for engine and wiring.. Hellcat is too expensive for me

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Pro-Touring? Easy answer....fuel injected modern hemi. If you really have the cash, I would go for the Hell Cat crate engine.
      Does anyone know the actual size of width and height about new hemi (6.1, 6.4 and Hellcat)?? my 572 was too high and he was leaving out of the hood..

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      now I'm looking for this adv on Ebay.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Superc...paElYd&vxp=mtr

how do you think about? I will have wiring problems?

now I'm looking for this adv on Ebay.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Superc...paElYd&vxp=mtr

how do you think about? I will have wiring problems?
      If you want an automatic and want to use the Chrysler NAG like in the ad, you'll have to run the Chrysler PCM, TIPM, ABS, and WIN module. You'll need wheel speed sensors and a few other things to make the NAG work. Would be easier to use a manual trans and stand alone controller, like a Holley Dominator. The Dominator would give you the option to run a Chevrolet 4L60/80 trans behind the Hemi if you want an auto. Adaptor kits for the trans are available and pretty cheap. I've done them both ways, manual trans is the easiest and cheapest. If you have to have an automatic transmission, the Chevy auto is MUCH easier and cheaper in the long run than making the NAG work.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

I'd go the 6.4L route, cam it, & put a 4L80e behind it.

As SCCACUDA pointed out, the Mopar transmissions are a pain to work right. Get a standalone trans controller for the 4L80e (US Shift is what we use), and a wiring harness kit from Hotwire set up for a manual trans.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      I'd go the 6.4L route, cam it, & put a 4L80e behind it.

As SCCACUDA pointed out, the Mopar transmissions are a pain to work right. Get a standalone trans controller for the 4L80e (US Shift is what we use), and a wiring harness kit from Hotwire set up for a manual trans.

-Dale
      Thanks Dale.
      Now I'm looking for a 6.4 crate engine.. I prefer manual transmission for this engine.. Even though I just have a 4l80e transmission by Phoenix transmission for my ex 572 Hemi..

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      If you want an automatic and want to use the Chrysler NAG like in the ad, you'll have to run the Chrysler PCM, TIPM, ABS, and WIN module. You'll need wheel speed sensors and a few other things to make the NAG work. Would be easier to use a manual trans and stand alone controller, like a Holley Dominator. The Dominator would give you the option to run a Chevrolet 4L60/80 trans behind the Hemi if you want an auto. Adaptor kits for the trans are available and pretty cheap. I've done them both ways, manual trans is the easiest and cheapest. If you have to have an automatic transmission, the Chevy auto is MUCH easier and cheaper in the long run than making the NAG work.
      with Holley Dominator Kit I can't use the original hellcat auto transmission ?

with Holley Dominator Kit I can't use the original hellcat auto transmission ?
      Holley only supports the GM 4L60/65/70/80/85 and some Ford transmissions (don't recall the codes).

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Holley only supports the GM 4L60/65/70/80/85 and some Ford transmissions (don't recall the codes).

Andrew

my problem is this: I have a budget of $ 17,000 to buy at least 600 hp hemi engine and tremec transmission with "open" wiring.
      the hellcat kit cost too much (23k) and 6.4 kit cost 14.5k but with original wiring and 485 hp... help me!

my problem is this: I have a budget of $ 17,000 to buy at least 600 hp hemi engine and tremec transmission with "open" wiring.
      the hellcat kit cost too much (23k) and 6.4 kit cost 14.5k but with original wiring and 485 hp... help me!
      This should be achievable with a $5k 6.1L, $4-5k a whipple, a $1.2k mega squirt ECU and a $3k TREMEC of your choice.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page

I would go Hellcat Crate if you can get the scratch to do it. You know you want to. : )

ahahah Yes i love the Idea of hellcat engine.. but I don't have money anymore... 17k it's my limit if I want to finish her..

someone know A2speed? they can do a 6.4 engine with 585 hp with all the pieces I need including transmission and wiring at 16.5 k

no one know A2speed???????

no one know A2speed???????
      They are reputable. Keep in mind this forum only has like 4 Mopar people on it, Hemi-specific vendor feedback may be limited!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda View Post
      They are reputable. Keep in mind this forum only has like 4 Mopar people on it, Hemi-specific vendor feedback may be limited!
      C'mon now...we have at least 6 Mopar people here. Lol

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com