Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Vintage Air Gen IV into 69 Camaro questions

I am looking at installing this system into my non factory AC car with a LS3. Where are the firewall penetrations with this kit? I see multiple pics out there so I am not sure on the firewall penetrations. I would prefer the penetrations be inside the passenger fender firewall area like some pics I see. Is this the normal area or is this an option, custom or what?

I see that DSE sells a bracket for under the dash. Is this something that is needed?

Thanks for any help,
      Scott

Country Flag: United States
      You can download the installation instructions to see where the hoses are routed. You do not need the DSE bracket.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Choose your hose route carefully !!! Do your homework. I have an inline bulkhead on my firewall that probably should of been installed 3 or 4 inches more to the passenger fender. As a result, it made my install one PITA. You do NOT need the DSE bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
      Choose your hose route carefully !!! Do your homework. I have an inline bulkhead on my firewall that probably should of been installed 3 or 4 inches more to the passenger fender. As a result, it made my install one PITA. You do NOT need the DSE bracket.
      I'm also going to be doing this on my '69 this Winter... already have the VA kit. So did you follow VA's instructions for location of the thru-firewall hoses or did you make a mistake in calculating where they go? Pictures of this would be helpful. In my instance I'm sticking with my BBC 454 so I don't know if the firewall plumbing is the same or not for an LS motor.
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      I'm also going to be doing this on my '69 this Winter... already have the VA kit. So did you follow VA's instructions for location of the thru-firewall hoses or did you make a mistake in calculating where they go? Pictures of this would be helpful. In my instance I'm sticking with my BBC 454 so I don't know if the firewall plumbing is the same or not for an LS motor.
      I installed the inline bulkhead on the firewall where I wanted it. If I used the parts in the VA kit and followed the instructions, things would of went easier. I was going for a clean custom look. The firewall plumbing will be the same regardless of engine. Most guys hide the hoses in the fenderwell area (between fender and wheelwell) on passenger side. I will try to post pics.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is how I ran the heater hoses. My A/C lines are different. Pic is not mine. If you use an inline bulkhead on firewall, or perhaps any bulkhead, you will have to route the hoses similar to this.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Here’s a pic I saved of another way to go. Name:  9287AF48-DFA0-40D0-9330-61A72E90A859.jpeg
Views: 1720
Size:  46.2 KB

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I want to run the hoses through the area where the factory blower motor lived. Do I purchase the Gen IV and then modify it or is there something else I should be purchasing?

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      I want to run the hoses through the area where the factory blower motor lived. Do I purchase the Gen IV and then modify it or is there something else I should be purchasing?
      This is pretty slick:

https://www.iimuch.com/collections/a...ts/ac-bulkhead

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Nice find Don!

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Purchase the sure-fit system. If using the VA instructions, the hoses penetrate the firewall where the old heater box was. You do not need to purchase anything else. If your going to get fancy, well than the choices are plenty.

if you want to run the hoses through the fenderwell just call up vintage air and they will have a kit already setup for it.

i went through all the work piecing things together, called them with a question, only to find out they have a kit for exactly that. comes with the filler panels with pre drilled holes for the existing blower hole as well as the kickpanel hole, hoses, fittings, the works.

i installed mine recently and it went pretty well. it makes it kind of a pain to install/remove the evap case but once its in, it should be good to go anyways. A small price to pay for a cleaner look.

Any of the above methods work just fine. The most popular upgrade from our standard configuration is the "fenderwell hose kit" as mentioned by Bwheeler287.
      It's almost identical to the second-gen Camaro kit, which comes standard with the fenderwell hose kit. Here are a few photos of the 48 Hour Camaro we just did with ridetech at Barrett Jackson. It's a second gen, but the installation is very similar. Name:  D7BAE6FC-E361-4949-A4A5-89048A1CCCBF.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  265.2 KBName:  A3DD1328-088F-49E3-8A47-6495C3A812C1.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  213.9 KBName:  F93F3CFC-A940-4E65-93FC-BB9B8725D0A5.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  271.1 KBName:  3A4E4439-263D-4013-8C0B-4542A1DBDBA2.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  287.6 KBName:  83C3CE45-38B8-450B-9A7F-EF7E856B91CB.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  426.4 KB

KUL FIR CHICK N: COOL FIRECHICKEN
      '68 Firebird, LS7, 6spd, DSE all around.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com