Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

68 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible Pro-Touring Patina Build

Like many I've been floating around the site getting valuable info for free. Thanks to the multitudes for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I finally decided to post my build. It's being built by myself along with help from a good friend at www.rowansrides.com. These guys do some high-end builds and lots of LS swaps. So here is what I've got going.

Car is a 1968 Olds Cutlass S with 118,000 original miles, previously owned by a retired Navy pilot since 1972. I am the third owner as of a few years ago. Car is completely unmolested and still has all original interior. Zero rust through in floor pan. Trunk pan has a few holes the size of an eraser. All power windows, power top, radio, interior lights and even the door buzzer still work. Drove it home about 47 miles the day I purchased it. I've built a Car Craft magazine feature car years ago (Jan. 2000 issue 72 Camaro) and just want an easy no hassle ride this go around.

What I'm planning and have already purchased for the build. I will leave the patina as it is and redo the interior in the original color. Thinking about making it look like an old 60's era Trans Am SCCA road racer. Maybe a roll bar to complete the look. Extra frame I have is being fitted with Hellwig Frame FX kit and is about to go to powder coating, stock running gear has been removed and sold in favor of a low miles 5.3 and 4l60 running the Fitech Ultimate LS setup, hooker cast headers, aluminum LS swap radiator, Tanks Inc. EFI tank, Shiftworks shifter conversion to use stock shifter, tubular arms front and rear, QA1 adjustable coil overs for front, dropped springs and shocks for rear, 1 1/4" front and 1" rear swaybars, LS1 brake swap all around, magna flow SS exhaust and 18x9.5 and 18x8 wheels. Will also run the vintage air setup and Speed hut gauges. All pictures are of car stock with nothing done at this point other than wheels.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Awesome car! Love the Cutlass convertibles. Look forward to seeing progress. Though honestly, I don't know how old SCCA I'd go, being that it's a convertible, I just don't picture it too much setup as a pure racer. I see it as a sweet almost restomod-ish pro-tourer.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Thanks for feedback on the SCCA race look. I put that in there just for that purpose. One day I think its looks cool and the next I'm more restomod pro tourer minded. May have the graphics put on magnets so it can be removed if I go that route. May still run a simple roll bar powder coated in wrinkle finish for some safety and a place to install 3 point seatbelts for front.

Frame work

A few pictures of the Hellwig Frame FX kit install. Will redo a few of the body mounts and send to powder coating next week. It was a coupe frame so we went with the Frame FX to stiffen it up for the convertible. These kits fit very well. Looks like Hellwig copied GM's factory A-body convertible frame boxing. Using this frame to speed up the swap over time. We'll build it up with all the new stuff, get engine and trans in so it's a rolling chassis.

I love it!! My first car was a 69 Cutlass with that same color. Please reconsider the decals, that car does not need them.

Dan

Very nice starting point. Always good to see another Cutlass. I can't wait to see your progress. Looks like you have a solid plan.
      1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

http://fivelugs.com

Frame progress... Heading to Powder Coating tomorrow

Wrapped up Hellwig Frame FX install. Did some mock up with a spare 5.3 and 4L60 to get transmission cross member setup. Custom made LS mounts similar to BRP but with slots for adjustment front to back. Clearances are good all around accessories. Truck pan is very low so I'll run the Holley LS swap pan.

I have a 68 too trying to post

I'm trying to post my work in progress too I have a 68 25,000 original miles with street grip kit 455 putting a 200r4 in it. I love the 68. My favorite a body

I approve this post...but I am not sure why you went with anything besides the Holley/Hooker mounts and the 302-2/3 oil pan. The forward mount option will give you the A/C clearance that you need...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

While I'd rather see a fuel injected Olds under the hood, this looks like it will be a nice build nonetheless. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I LOVE these patina cars! I have very seriously thought of trying to replicate the paint on my car to look weathered, but it just won't be the same. Can't wait to see more progress.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I LOVE these patina cars! I have very seriously thought of trying to replicate the paint on my car to look weathered, but it just won't be the same. Can't wait to see more progress.
      I agree and that there is a nice patina.

Ivy gold interior, my 68 GTO had the same color! I have to agree with what was said before the car looks good and the stickers would detract from it.

Frame back from coating

Quick work on frame. Took it Friday and got it back today. Gloss black base clear color turned out well. Work by Powder Coating of Gainesville Florida. Will start hanging all new suspension, steering etc and get the chassis into a roller with engine and trans. Rebuilding the 12 bolt type O rear with a new US Gear posi, Richmond 3:42 gears and all new Timken bearings and seals. Making progress. Hopefully running and on the road by March.

A little progress over the holidays

Made a little progress over the holidays. Got engine out of donor Avalanche, cleaned up and ready for Fitech Ultimate LS setup. Also, doing custom coil covers using 1951 Oldsmobile Rocket valve covers. Will repaint block and powder coat all accessories and brackets.

I am a bit confused on the Helwig kit. A convertible frame s already boxed, did you remove the factory boxing, or install the Helwig kit over it?
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

If you read my original post, I had an extra non boxed frame from a Chevelle so decided to use it with Hellwig kit and speed the project up a bit by having it ready, built up and rolling with all the new stuff on it. Hellwig basically copied the convertible frame boxing and added the in-board mount so it looks about the same. We'll use the boxed frame down the road under the 69 Chevelle. Be a nice upgrade there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tims68Olds View Post
      If you read my original post, I had an extra non boxed frame from a Chevelle so decided to use it with Hellwig kit and speed the project up a bit by having it ready, built up and rolling with all the new stuff on it. Hellwig basically copied the convertible frame boxing and added the in-board mount so it looks about the same. We'll use the boxed frame down the road under the 69 Chevelle. Be a nice upgrade there.
      You know, I read that... doh! Thanks!
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Updates on the 68 Vert Chassis build up

Slow progress of late. Been busy, but finally got around to starting build up on frame. Was going to rebuild and use the Type-O rear but figured real quick that was a pretty pricy option ($1K for a posi and gears) and your still stuck with sort of an oddball 3-4 year made rear, so I opted for a Quick Performance 9" with Eaton True Trac posi and 3.50 gears. Will run the 12" 98-02 Camaro brakes on rear. Will need another rear sway bar as the one I have is a 1" factory shaped deal that will not clear the jack pad on bottom of 9". Any suggestions on a brand? Also, working on a simple reverse 4 point roll bar setup. Looking to have the main hoop with dropped side bars going under door handles similar to the Ride Tech tiger cage side bars. Will have a nut insert to run retractable 3 point belts and be powder coated wrinkle finish black.

68 Progress Report

Got a few things done over the weekend. Engine installed along with some suspension parts.
      Lots of clearance on the Holley 302-2 pan.
      Already removed the low mount alternator bracket even though I prefer it, it hits my steering box very slightly with no room to move it since it is a rigid mount. Was planning to have it and the AC down low to clean up engine look a bit. I looked at several other manufactures to try and find something that would work but came up empty. Likely go with the ICT high mount. Hope to have a rolling chassis next weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com