Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Severe voltage drop

140amp alternator, reading 14.2 at the alternator terminal. Reading 13.9 at the battery. When all the accessories are on, I'm getting 10.5 at the battery. I have 4 grounds, a 4 gauge wire going from alt to starter. The car only has 350 miles on it and I've been through 1 battery and 1 alternator. Powermaster says my 140 is plenty for my car. Any ideas?
      1968 Charger R/T, EFI,SC,6-speed

Country Flag: United States
      This is an older thread and I hope you have found the problem. I take it is that you have had the alternator tested and the battery recharged with the proper charger. I.E. pacific charger for optima batteries. One thing I do is use star washers on all pos and neg connections. Also sand all ground connections to BRIGHT metal. If you are using old bolt holes with tapper bolts , I had a problem one time with a ground on firewall to motor and since I didn't want to drill a new hole I just used a new tapper bolt. I still had dash lites flickering. I finally drill a new hole and that with a new bolt cured the problem. I would check current drop on the wires individually. I had a problem with a starter wire on my Sportster and found out that a tech at HD made the wire and soldered it and didn't solder it right.
      I have also been told ,not to end that alternator connection at the starter.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com