Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by MuscleRodz View Post
      Really? Its a manufacturers trade show. Its not a car show for the public.
      I agree, but the way it is Promoted leads to people thinking it is a Car Show! SEMA SEMA SEMA all over Velocity, Magazines, Forums. And it's in Vegas!

The Publicity & the Show Atmosphere is what separates SEMA & PRI

It's hard to find another show of any kind where there are that many high quality cars in one place. That's certainly part of the allure for the average joe to try to get in.

Yeah, technically it's a trade show, but let's get real...it's a car show and I would bet single digit percentage of folks seem to use it as a business ordeal. It seems most are spectators. What ever it was when it first began, it's not that way now. On the inside there are many custom cars on display to include all the big car dealer names. There was a Challenger simulator, video game racing challenge, tv show meet/greet/autograph sessions. On the outside more custom cars, ride along in Ford cars, a SBC engine build challenge, promotional stuff given away like crazy....honestly it was just like going to Barrett Jackson and Summit Racing big boy toy store during Hot August Nights.

Badges that I saw ??
      "Industry Guest" "Government" "Spouse" "collision" "paint"......hardly anyone was there to do actual business. I was wearing a polo and I saw people in t-shirts and shorts.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Business centric Trade show??? You decided
      Attached Images Attached Images        
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Country Flag: Canada
      #sideboob
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

When my wife and i go,i really do network with the vendors on whats new for the builds or jobs i have going into the cars im working on,new spray tools,new ideas that the top builders are setting the bar at and learning from picking there brain,and WHAT I CAN APPLY to what im working on.
      Theres some on this forum that really dont need to go to sema,spend the money on rooms,time off work(money lost??),walking miles a day when you can just go on the web and see the cars and trucks and save your money for parts for your hobby.
      For some of us its alot about making the money plain and simple...its what we do.
      Its a way of life.
      For the folks that want to see the sema builds,well thats what ignite was made for,spend $20 bucks enjoy the eye candy and not spend,like my wife and i did more than $1,000 on the rooms for the week,eating out EVERY MEAL while in vegas,and the travel it starts not to be as fun as most see it.
      For all the people who set up and work at the booths in sema its work,and they cant wait till semas over and they get to go home.
      72 chevelle.

Sema show

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      When my wife and i go,i really do network with the vendors on whats new for the builds or jobs i have going into the cars im working on,new spray tools,new ideas that the top builders are setting the bar at and learning from picking there brain,and WHAT I CAN APPLY to what im working on.
      Theres some on this forum that really dont need to go to sema,spend the money on rooms,time off work(money lost??),walking miles a day when you can just go on the web and see the cars and trucks and save your money for parts for your hobby.
      For some of us its alot about making the money plain and simple...its what we do.
      Its a way of life.
      For the folks that want to see the sema builds,well thats what ignite was made for,spend $20 bucks enjoy the eye candy and not spend,like my wife and i did more than $1,000 on the rooms for the week,eating out EVERY MEAL while in vegas,and the travel it starts not to be as fun as most see it.
      For all the people who set up and work at the booths in sema its work,and they cant wait till semas over and they get to go home.
      You explained it perfectly. I attended SEMA six years in a row when I worked for Toyota Racing Development. Our goal was to display our newest products to the industry, network with our vendors, and build new relationships with potential business partners. Yes, It is the best car show on the planet, but after a week, even I wanted to go home. The public should not attend the show...period. As stated, buy a ticket to SEMA Ignited. And for many people who are able to score a pass from a vendor, 99.9% of them are responsible enough to not be walking around with a beer at 10 am acting poorly. I used to see that all the time at the CART/IRL races I worked back in the day. It doesn't take much to ruin an event like SEMA with irresponsible behavior. SEMA is the best tool the automotive industry has in the shed to continue building interest and enthusiasm in the automotive aftermarket. The TV shows, and internet coverage of SEMA is geared toward that goal.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I've been to SEMA twice, both times with work. I didn't have to work the booth and had a day's freedom to find vendors, products, and competitors relevant to our market.

The nearby AAPEX show has a much more tolerable atmosphere. The general public overlook it and there aren't many car displays to draw in outsiders. As a result, it's easier to have useful conversations with the representatives at booths. Most large companies will have a booth at both SEMA and AAPEX. I bump into more friends and contacts at SEMA, but AAPEX is a nicer setting to hold a meeting.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I would bet single digit percentage of folks seem to use it as a business ordeal. It seems most are spectators. .
      I'm part of that single digit then, I attended again this year and cemented my commitments from past sponsors for another year, picked up a few more sponsors and even added some dealer packages for my little company and debut my latest build in the Spectre/K&N booth, won the best hot rod Grand Turismo award was in battle of the builders, and I also took one of the days just for me to walk around and see the new products and looked at all the cool cars,....

Name:  Rambler-SEMA(2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  406.6 KB

[QUOTE=Rod;1248070]I'm part of that single digit then, I attended again this year and cemented my commitments from past sponsors for another year, picked up a few more sponsors and even added some dealer packages for my little company and debut my latest build in the Spectre/K&N booth, won the best hot rod Grand Turismo award was in battle of the builders, and I also took one of the days just for me to walk around and see the new products and looked at all the cool cars,....

/QUOTE]

Sounds like it it was a good trip for you. You did admit you walked around and enjoyed the scenary. Do you feel because you own a car business nobody else has the right to enjoy the same fun? How much of what you did could have been done at a public venue or at race track?

The point im making is regardless of what business you did knock out, it was a car show and that's how most people enjoy it. Heck you said it yourself, you brought a car for people to google over. Can you build cars for people? Was your business displayed next to the car?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Sounds like it it was a good trip for you. You did admit you walked around and enjoyed the scenary. Do you feel because you own a car business nobody else has the right to enjoy the same fun? How much of what you did could have been done at a public venue or at race track?

The point im making is regardless of what business you did knock out, it was a car show and that's how most people enjoy it. Heck you said it yourself, you brought a car for people to google over. Can you build cars for people? Was your business displayed next to the car?
      It worked for Rodney exactly as it should. He was there primarily for his business... working existing contacts, gaining new ones, and pleasing his sponsors and promoting his company through displaying her/his car. There are a lot of nice cars and other things to look at too because you need to draw attention to yourself and make people want to come to your booth and do business with you. That's the end goal, business. Even all the celebrities making appearances, they're there to please their sponsors. It's all money. It's always been a business meeting with eye candy. But TV and media these days, like they often do, screwed that up and made it into the 3-ring circus that it is (Barrett-Jackson is another example of something that now sucks for the same reason). It's given people a false impression of what SEMA is.

A quick Google search of "SEMA Rambler" gives you a flood of results on that car, so the show also did it's job of getting the word out of the sponsors and Rod's company.
      http://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-f...rambler-wagon/
      I see Suspension Geek, DSE, Viking Shocks, Global West, TCI, and many more mentioned. Rodney's company is promoted, all his sponsors are promoted, all businesses are happy.

The people that go there do enjoy it, because it is the best car show in the world, I'd argue. But what do you propose? Make it public? That is flat out IMPOSSIBLE. It's unbearable as it is with people sneaking in. Make it open, then suddenly you flood the show with morons that have no business there (Saw some idiot in the unbadged outside area open up, and sit in a show car Lincoln to check it out). Flood the show, then it's harder to actually do business. Then suddenly it's not worth the $20k-500k that it takes to go there, vendors leave. People mess with cars, then the cars don't show anymore, then SEMA becomes crap. You see that video of that A-hole fooling people into jumping onto tonneau covers and causing general mayhem? That's where this show is headed if it strays from the business-centric purpose it has.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      It worked for Rodney exactly as it should. He was there primarily for his business... working existing contacts, gaining new ones, and pleasing his sponsors and promoting his company through displaying her/his car. There are a lot of nice cars and other things to look at too because you need to draw attention to yourself and make people want to come to your booth and do business with you. That's the end goal, business. Even all the celebrities making appearances, they're there to please their sponsors. It's all money. It's always been a business meeting with eye candy. But TV and media these days, like they often do, screwed that up and made it into the 3-ring circus that it is (Barrett-Jackson is another example of something that now sucks for the same reason). It's given people a false impression of what SEMA is.

A quick Google search of "SEMA Rambler" gives you a flood of results on that car, so the show also did it's job of getting the word out of the sponsors and Rod's company.
      http://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-f...rambler-wagon/
      I see Suspension Geek, DSE, Viking Shocks, Global West, TCI, and many more mentioned. Rodney's company is promoted, all his sponsors are promoted, all businesses are happy.

The people that go there do enjoy it, because it is the best car show in the world, I'd argue. But what do you propose? Make it public? That is flat out IMPOSSIBLE. It's unbearable as it is with people sneaking in. Make it open, then suddenly you flood the show with morons that have no business there (Saw some idiot in the unbadged outside area open up, and sit in a show car Lincoln to check it out). Flood the show, then it's harder to actually do business. Then suddenly it's not worth the $20k-500k that it takes to go there, vendors leave. People mess with cars, then the cars don't show anymore, then SEMA becomes crap. You see that video of that A-hole fooling people into jumping onto tonneau covers and causing general mayhem? That's where this show is headed if it strays from the business-centric purpose it has.

Youre right, if it was open to the public it would be completely unbearable. It was so packed you would think it was open to the public. On that topic, I think it's too easy for mom and pop businesses to legitimately get in amplifying the foot traffic. SEMA has caused some of their own pain though. Look how big the outside area was with no badge needed and how easy it was to get into the building. Additionally, they were checking badges at the main room entrances but there were so many people they couldn't check them all. BL it's not locked down like a private/invite only venue should be.

Like you said there was value to some legitimate businesses, I just feel the dynamics of the show opened themselves up to what it is now....it's gonna be all show over time. Personally, that's where the real money is...the customers. Me buying your product is the end goal...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

"On that topic, I think it's too easy for mom and pop businesses to legitimately get in amplifying the foot traffic"

Mom and pops me included,IS how alot of these companys,builders/craftsmen,started
      When your building cars its fun.but dont forget its still work.
      When you start building more than one car a year by yourself,and have YOUR PROJECTS/honey do's ect. You will see how sema is more work then play,dont get me wrong we love going but its earned thru hard work,coming this year i have a 72 land crusier to do body and paint,a 67 fastback stang and a full floor pan replace on a 66 el camino,and thats just whats set up for 2018 this month,and the years not over!
      Buy a project car to flip next yr and work on your camaro,you will love it or hate it.
      Like i said get hooked up with some jobbers to prove your doing cars for a business,get onto sema or AAPEX and its as simple as that theres no free hand out to sema for alot of us,Your LUCKY if you get a badge to g. Just look at it that way.
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      "On that topic, I think it's too easy for mom and pop businesses to legitimately get in amplifying the foot traffic"

Mom and pops me included,IS how alot of these companys,builders/craftsmen,started
      When your building cars its fun.but dont forget its still work.
      When you start building more than one car a year by yourself,and have YOUR PROJECTS/honey do's ect. You will see how sema is more work then play,dont get me wrong we love going but its earned thru hard work,coming this year i have a 72 land crusier to do body and paint,a 67 fastback stang and a full floor pan replace on a 66 el camino,and thats just whats set up for 2018 this month,and the years not over!
      Buy a project car to flip next yr and work on your camaro,you will love it or hate it.
      Like i said get hooked up with some jobbers to prove your doing cars for a business,get onto sema or AAPEX and its as simple as that theres no free hand out to sema for alot of us,Your LUCKY if you get a badge to g. Just look at it that way.
      Theres nothing wrong with being a small business, it's just that there are so many the attendee population was huge. How many of these people go just because they can and have no interest in signing contracts or looking for sponsors. Heck, it's Las Vegas (2 birds with 1 stone). Like I said they even let in "guest" and "media". Does a trade show need magazine coverage? I guess it helps the big names. I just found out a bunch of my folks from work got in as "industry guest" and of course we are not affiliated with the automotive business.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Country Flag: New Zealand
      hi rod,replyed to your inbox,but its full ,could you use rodend type joint to drop .500?regards

Theres nothing wrong with being a small business, it's just that there are so many the attendee population was huge. How many of these people go just because they can and have no interest in signing contracts or looking for sponsors. Heck, it's Las Vegas (2 birds with 1 stone). Like I said they even let in "guest" and "media". Does a trade show need magazine coverage? I guess it helps the big names. I just found out a bunch of my folks from work got in as "industry guest" and of course we are not affiliated with the automotive business.
      Sounds to me like the answer to reducing the crowd at the SEMA show is pretty simple, SEMA needs to crack down on all passes and stop allowing ANY non-SEMA members in. Problem solved!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Sounds to me like the answer to reducing the crowd at the SEMA show is pretty simple, SEMA needs to crack down on all passes and stop allowing ANY non-SEMA members in. Problem solved!
      On top of that have a dress code in place,don't sell beer (I seriously don't get why they sell beer but I don't drink so what do I know), no sema ignited and stop having celebrity autograph sessions. I get that everyone is a fan of someone but sema isn't the place to be a fan. Sema should be back to a place to conduct business,period. Now it's just a circus advertised on TV.

I enjoy watching it when its on velocity but would never want to go and waste people's time with my dumb questions about their product. Especially a small business trying to put their foot into the market. Your just killing time they could be selling to a real vendor..

Allowing YouTube " celebrities" or reality show "celebrities" baffles me to. If your not a real shop or business building cars for people or selling/ buying parts to sell at your business you don't belong.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      The crowds are not huge because of the people sneaking in....SEMA lets these people in. $$$$$ bottom line...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      hi rod,replyed to your inbox,but its full ,could you use rodend type joint to drop .500?regards
      you have to cycle the suspension and measure the movement, because of motion ratio its not a direct 1 to 1 offset so just adding a .500 of spacer is not a guarantee of correct placement..

sorry for the hijack guys

Do you feel because you own a car business nobody else has the right to enjoy the same fun?
      so your mad that I work in the car business?

How much of what you did could have been done at a public venue or at race track?
      zero, at an average event, almost never if ever will you have the CEO of K&N, president of Viking, owner of CPP, founder of Hotchkis, head cheese of ridetech all around you and willing to listen to proposals

the car was there ....for attention of the media, that same media that covers all of the hundreds of new products for print and web, and some of those amazing new products were on that car, the new cerekote products, Viking electronic shocks, new line of PPG paint, new 5th gen Camaro Baer rear calipers, some of these were prototyped right on this car

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com